Looking for: Marcus Belgrave "Gemini II"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

have you folks ever contemplated contacting the artist himself? i purchased some japanese imports directly from harry allen for a fraction of what they cost online. belgrave is a visiting professor of jazz trumpet at the oberlin conservatory of music in ohio. here's his address and office phone number:

Marcus Batista Belgrave

Visiting Prof of Jazz Trumpet

Conservatory Wind/Brass/Perc

Robertson Hall

Oberlin, OH 44074

Office Phone: 440 775-6675

and here's a link to his faculty webpage: marcus belgrave.

what the heck, give it a try. what can it hurt?

• 1 month later...

Hot damn!!! -- Dusty Groove says this is gonna be reissued on CD (and also on LP) later this month!!! Don't know for sure what label is doing the reissue, though (and they don't seem to know either). Nothing listed at Jazzmatazz yet, but I e-mailed Alan about it.

1. Marcus Belgrave -- Gemini II . . . CD . . .

Upcoming Release: Around July 26, 2004

A classic of the spiritual soulful Detroit/Tribe jazz scene! Trumpeter Marcus Belgrave plays in a beautiful ensemble, packed with Tribe labelmates like Wendell Harrison, Phil Ranelin, and Harold McKinney. The record includes Belgrave's beautiful track "Space Odyssey", which has a long flowing cosmic groove, nice electronics, and haunting trumpet solos. Other cuts include "Gemini II", "Marcia's Opal", "Glue Fingers", and "Odoms Cave".

FYI, Dusty Groove has it listed as being just "Gemini". (I added the "II" to the above listing, assuming that is the correct full title.)

Soul Jazz doesn't appear to be reissuing this one, which is a good thing. I wonder if Hefty Records, who (legally) reissued Phil Ranelin's and Wendell Harrison's 70's stuff is doing this one. That would make the most sense to me. I can't get Hefty's site to load right now, though.

Hefty

Wait, Late. I think these are one in the same. From http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/news.htm...

Two heavyweight deep jazz re-issue albums are also being re-issued by Soul Jazz Records on July 27. They are Marcus Belgrave ­Gemini, and Steve Reid ­ Rhythmatism. Marcus Belgrave's album, originally released on one of our favourite 70s deep jazz labels, Tribe Records, and features the track "Space Oddysey" which has just been covered by Carl Craig's "Detroit Experiment", on which Marcus Belgrave also featured. The track also features on Soul Jazz Records early Universal Sounds Of America release. Steve Reid¹s "Rhythmatism" originally came out on his own Mustevic Sound label in the early 70s. It is the second album Soul Jazz have put out by him (the first being Nova) and is again a seriously heavyweight slice of original deep jazz.

So, all these references to "Gemini" - are one in the same with "Gemini II"????

Yes??? No??? I don't think I'm confused, but should I be??? :blink:

Marcus Belgrave, Gemini TRCD 4004

1974 Ed Marsyl Publishing Co.

5270 Drexel, Detroit, MI 48213

Described in the liner notes by Herb Boyd, "Much in the manner of the major record companies that from time to time feel a need to reissue one of their classics, Marcus Belgrave has reissued here his initial album, "Gemini II," which was released in 1974 under the Tribe label.

Marcus Belgrave, trumpet, flugelhorn, misc. perc.

Wendell Harrison, tenor saxophone, misc. perc.

Phillip Ranelin, trombone, misc. perc.

Roy Brooks, drums, misc. perc.

Billy Tuner, drums, misc. perc.

Lorenzo Brown, bongos

Ed Pickens, electric bass

Harold McKinney, electric piano

Daryl Dybka, mini-moog sythesizer

Side One

1. Space Odyssey

2. Glue Fingers (part 1)

3. Glue Fingers (part 2)

Side Two

1. Gemini II

2. Marcia's Opal

3. Odoms Cave

Boyd mentions Belgrave is "in the studio mixing the elements of his next album...with compositions and playing by Sumi Tonooka and Geri Allen..."

I do have a copy of this in the library here at the radio station. Sorry, I just saw the thread for the first time tonight....

Lazaro

p.s. "Space Odyssey" sounds like Freddie's "Red Clay" with Roy Brooks musical saw added, and a center section featuring McKinney's electric piano that's coming out of Chick Corea's Return to Forever from the period. Marcus sounds good in that section when the engineer isn't tweaking the echo. Parts sound, too, like the tape was stretched. I mean, I don't think the whole band could suddenly be that out of tune. It only lasts for a short time, but is very weird. That's just that cut, anyway...

Edited by blue lake

Marcus Belgrave, Gemini TRCD 4004

1974 Ed Marsyl Publishing Co.

5270 Drexel, Detroit, MI 48213

Described in the liner notes by Herb Boyd, "Much in the manner of the major record companies that from time to time feel a need to reissue one of their classics, Marcus Belgrave has reissued here his initial album, "Gemini II," which was released in 1974 under the Tribe label.

Marcus Belgrave, trumpet, flugelhorn, misc. perc.

Wendell Harrison, tenor saxophone, misc. perc.

Phillip Ranelin, trombone, misc. perc.

Roy Brooks, drums, misc. perc.

Billy Tuner, drums, misc. perc.

Lorenzo Brown, bongos

Ed Pickens, electric bass

Harold McKinney, electric piano

Daryl Dybka, mini-moog sythesizer

Side One

1. Space Odyssey

2. Glue Fingers (part 1)

3. Glue Fingers (part 2)

Side Two

1. Gemini II

2. Marcia's Opal

3. Odoms Cave

Boyd mentions Belgrave is "in the studio mixing the elements of his next album...with compositions and playing by Sumi Tonooka and Geri Allen..."

I do have a copy of this in the library here at the radio station. Sorry, I just saw the thread for the first time tonight....

Lazaro

So, then does that mean the original album was called "Gemini II", but the resissue is only called "Gemini"??? --- and they're really the same recording???

Lazaro, I assume the copy your quoting from is a promo of one of the new CD's of this release??? (Since you list the catalog number as being "TRCD 4004", the "CD" part makes me think it's a CD (funny how I'd get that idea).) Also from the way it refers to the rerelease of something.)

In any case, it still sounds like the rerelease (the CD release) is called "Gemini", but the original album was called "Gemini II" ---- and that the two are in fact the same 1974 recording.

Or am I missing something here????

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

p.s. "Space Odyssey" sounds like Freddie's "Red Clay" with Roy Brooks musical saw added, and a center section featuring McKinney's electric piano that's coming out of Chick Corea's Return to Forever from the period. Marcus sounds good in that section when the engineer isn't tweaking the echo. Parts sound, too, like the tape was stretched. I mean, I don't think the whole band could suddenly be that out of tune. It only lasts for a short time, but is very weird. That's just that cut, anyway...

I have this tune on this "Universal Sounds Of America" compilation and never thought there's anything wrong with it; got to listen to it more focused next time.

Edited by rockefeller center

• 1 month later...

Got the new CD reissue of "Gemini" today (from 'The Bastards'), and man -- is this ever one hell of an album!!! :excited: (And every bit as exciting as Phil Ranelin's "The Time Is Now!" from about the same year.) A little pricy at Dusty ($18.99), but probably worth every penny (or at least nearly so).

And FYI, you can sample the first minute of two tracks (particularly track #4 - "Gemini II"), if you go HERE.

Next time you order anything from Dusty, get this one too!!! :tup:tup:tup

• 3 weeks later...

pretty many fegh stuff there I'll admit, it gets better halfway through, then loses momentum again to end in more apocalyptic assurances that we all should listen to the man to save our souls.

I could go on, but my writing skills are not so marvellous, understandable, my not being a Gemini...

yeah, them boring cold dudes. shooting arrows sans direction and thinking in too many directions at once to make a neat argument. I think.

I'd like a Sagitarius Space Mission, just to find out about all the black matter going wild and the red spot reversing rotation every now and then.

• 1 month later...