Senor Blues by Horace Silver

Popper Lou

Does anyone know more about this 1963 Blue Note recording by Horace Silver? Is it more of a compilation record? Viewing the tunes and artists on the date leads me to believe so. AMG doesn't have more then the tunes and artists. I have never seen this before record before. I saw it for sale on Amazon for $10. I have all these tunes from other albums. If it is a compilation record I'll pass.

B00000G2OE.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

There is a CD on BN with the exact same title that is *not* a compilation. I don't know if this is that or not. BUT, this appears to be some sort of European reissue and indeed is perhaps a compilation.

Bottom line - you can buy all the Horace you need from BN in original form and don't need this one :g

Eric

I can see by the logo in the lower right corner that it's a Giants Of Jazz label issue, and therefore is illegal, immoral, and fattening.

Seriuously, tht is a label that steals whatever the hell they want, and sells it cheap. Avoid at all costs.

Edited by JSngry

I can see by the logo in the lower right corner that it's a Giants Of Jazz label issue, and therefore is illegal, immoral, and fattening.

Seriuously, tht is a label that steals whatever the hell they want, and sells it cheap. Avoid at all costs.

How do they get away with doing that? It's all copy written material.

from AMG:

"This Horace Silver CD compilation is yet another in the series of unauthorized reissues by the European bootleg label Giants of Jazz. With a dozen selections taken from five separate sessions originally recorded by the pianist for Blue Note, it is a good cross section of his early dates as a leader, though the mediocre sound, with its unexpected channel shifts and dropouts, is extremely annoying. Since most of the music has been reissued (or will be) by Blue Note in its complete re-creations of the original albums, there is little incentive to acquire this disappointing disc, unless someone is on a very tight budget, wants a representative sampling of Horace Silver's work, and can tolerate the average-to-abysmal sound, rather than spend just a little more for the real deal." — Ken Dryden