To sell out a club as a jazz artists.

Die Like A Dog had people standing in the stairwell at Institue for Contemporary Art in Boston.

Of course, my wife assures me that if they are ever on the stereo when she walks through the door again, I'll be standing in another county... :ph34r:

;) I think...

Sold out for the whole run or for individual sets? My Yoshi's experience:

Oscar Peterson sells out his entire run at Yoshi's. One set a night for four nights or so.

McCoy always sells out some if not all of his 8 PM sets. Two sets a night for usually six nights, over two weeks, playing with two different bands.

Probably Pharoah sells out some.

Diana Krall sold out in a matter of hours. Two runs of two days each, two sets a night.

Harry Connick, Jr., two sets for one night.

Kenny Garrett at least some 8PM sets.

Pete Escovedo 'cos Oakland is home for him (was home).

Christian McBride

Toshiko Akiyosh - You can't near Yoshi's when she's playing there. You can't even get into the restaurant for a crust of bread. The place is packed.

I think Ray Brown probably sold out some sets

Elvin probably did

When was the last time anybody sold out anywhere here in Kansas City??? :(

Or, rather (especially), anybody that played in a club. I think there might have been a few sell-out shows at the old Drum Room (now closed), but that's been well over 7 or probably 8 years ago. Has anything ever sold out at The Blue Room?? (Nothing I've ever been to there, I know that.) Maybe a couple shows back at the old Club 427 (which is also now closed, for well over 5 years now).

Dave Holland was here in KC in early 2001, in a small theatre (don't know the exact size of The Folly, but I'm guessing 800??), and the place was barely half full, ane maybe closer to 1/3rd full.

I do no get what the problem is with Kansas City audiences. :(

WTF???

Er, Tom, the last sellouts at the Blue Room occurred last Friday and Saturday. Of course, it was local fave-rave Karrin Allyson.

But there ain't too many others likely to sell it out.

OK, then, a sell-out who WASN'T someone with local ties, like Karrin.

Edit: Or who ISN'T a singer.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Did Bobby Hutcherson or McCoy Tyner sell out in LA?  I'll be even more ashamed I missed them if they didn't.

Hey Noj,

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but...... there were a few sets where Bobby and McCoy didn't sell out when they played together here in February. And, I have seen them play several separate gigs where the house wasn't packed. In fact, I remember seeing Hutch one night at Catalina's where he played to 15 of us.

Los Angeles always confuses me... just when I get pissed off about the lack of support (e.g., being part of an "audience" of 10 people when Andrew Hill played the Jazz Bakery a couple of months ago, and even less when Sam Rivers played one night at the same venue), I'll see an absolutely packed audience every now and then which restores my faith in the city (like Hutch and McCoy at Catalina's, Wayne Shoter at USC, the Vandermark 5 at Rocco's, or even Joseph Jarman at the MAK Center).

I'm hoping that Horace Silver decides to play here soon! It pains me to know that I live so close to the guy, but have never had a chance to see him play live!

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!