Prince on Blue Note

ejp626

This is somewhat speculative, but according to an interview of Prince (the rock star) posted on the CNN website today, he indicated that he is working with major labels again. Then he said he might do an instrumental album on Blue Note. I guess it wouldn't be that surprising, given the Van Morrison album, but it still struck me as an unusual pairing. Who here buys everything on BN, and would you buy Prince just because he was on the label? I should say that I think he is a good musician, but I wouldn't consider him a jazz musician.

Well, I DON'T buy everything on BN, and I'd not buy Prince just because he was on the label, but I would consider buying an instrumental album of his on B.N. simply because I think he's an interesting musician. No other reason than that.

But I'd have to hear it first. As far as I'm concerned, with Prince, the quirkier the better (usually), and if he tries to make any sort of a "normal" jazz album (smooth, funky, straight-ahead, whatever), I'd most likely pass. But if he lets the creativity loose and tweaks some/all conventions like he's shown himself to be more than capable of in the past, then I'll be interested.

As far as the "Blue Note should =jazz only" thing, yeah, ok, I'm as sentimental as the next guy, but Heinz makes ketchup, pickles, soup, and a bunch of other stuff, so whaddya gonna do, not eat?

Edited by JSngry

Pretty much what Jim just said. Some Prince is great, some less that great. But I've heard fair bit of bootleg material, and some of it is DAMN fine. I'd sample it first, and there's an 'OK' chance I'd buy it, sure. (There's just as much chance I wouldn't buy it either.)

BUT, it wouldn't bother me being on Blue Note, and would probably bother me less than WM being on BN.

I have Prince tickets for the Oakland Arena in September and I am stoked (can an "old" lady say that?). I'm taking the teen age rock and roll goddaughter and we are going to party like it's 2004. I've never seen him before so I am really looking forward to this.

BUT, it wouldn't bother me being on Blue Note, and would probably bother me less than WM being on BN.

:lol:

I've said it before re: Blue Note: WM vs. Norah --- WM vs. Van Morrison --- WM vs. Prince, etc...

And although I'm definitely half kidding, I'm also half serious.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

:lol:

I've said it before re: Blue Note: WM vs. Norah --- WM vs. Van Morrison --- WM vs. Prince, etc...

And although I'm definitely half kidding, I'm also half serious.

I know!

A coworker had a spare copy of Down Beat on the cover, he was surprised to find out that WM is not well liked among a [large] segment of the Jazz listening population. ^_^

I was flipping around the dial on Saturday night and caught some live Prince on MTV2(The one that has some music.) He was excellent! On the part that I saw, he only sang, but his band SMOKED! He had a very funky bass player, a 4 or 5 piece horn section with some good players, and a good guitar player who stuck to just rhythm playing, and a pretty solid drummer. They were playing stuff inspired by James Brown/Sly Stone/George Clinton from late 60s/early 70s, of course with the Prince touch, thick and greazy funk that had me shaking on the sofa.

Rainy day, if that's the band he brings to the concert you're going to, you are in for a treat- they're very good.

I was flipping around the dial on Saturday night and caught some live Prince on MTV2(The one that has some music.) He was excellent! On the part that I saw, he only sang, but his band SMOKED! He had a very funky bass player, a 4 or 5 piece horn section with some good players, and a good guitar player who stuck to just rhythm playing, and a pretty solid drummer. They were playing stuff inspired by James Brown/Sly Stone/George Clinton from late 60s/early 70s, of course with the Prince touch, thick and greazy funk that had me shaking on the sofa.

Rainy day, if that's the band he brings to the concert you're going to, you are in for a treat- they're very good.

I saw that show also. He also played guitar while sitting on a stool and just riffed on some old R&B classics. Did you catch him opening the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? He smoked. Maceo was with him that night too.

FWIW, Prince attended the jam session at the Blue Room in Kansas City on Monday night.

Several players from his band joined the jam, I'm told (by the bandleader on the date). Including, briefly, Maceo Parker.

Darn it, I wasn't there.

Wow - that would have been cool. He is playing at Kemper at this very moment ... wish I was there!

Anyone heard the full N.E.W.S. album? I have his new one - Musicology. What I've heard so far I like ...

Eric

I bought MUSICOLOGY, and it's a MOTHERFUKKER! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Yeah, I snagged it too and like it. Classic Prince ... gotta love that 2nd cut ... something about pimps and circumstance ... very minimalistic, very fun-kay and very Prince!

Eric