Matthew Shipp pre-Thirsty sides?

Have listened to quite a bit of Matthew Shipp's pomo experiments and beautiful musical journeys on his Blue Series brand of Thirsty Ear records and am curious for any recommendations of his works prior. While i'm no out and "out" Cecil Taylor fan I would appreciate some recs for a more accesible approach to maybe some of his HatHut pieces. I have only heard his string trio work with Maneri (not so inclined) and I guess I'm more apt to maybe move toward his trios with Ibarra and Parker??

Is there one master work before the millenium that you might say is a must have??

Multiplication Table.

I have only heard that band live, and the disc is OOP and pretty difficult to find, it seems (I don't have it), but I tend to agree - it would be a good introduction to his earlier work, I think.

Btw, sometimes it was not Ibarra on drums but someone called Walt Dickey (an album of this trio was reissued on HatOLOGY, I have it but did not yet listen to it).

I find the duo with Mat Maneri, "Gravitational Systems", rather good, too, though I'd check out some trio stuff first.

ubu

Multiplication Table it is then...

been scouring and thought i'd share this little Amazon insight into the man's music. :wacko:

All Customer Reviews

Average Customer Review:

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

2 of 11 people found the following review helpful:

The music is the man, January 21, 2004

Reviewer:  kennisi (see more about me)  from Hong Kong China

I lived in the same East Village building with this guy for over a decade, never said hello once or even nodded. The hell with him.
Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

been scouring and thought i'd share this little Amazon insight into the man's music. :wacko:

All Customer Reviews

Average Customer Review:

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

2 of 11 people found the following review helpful:

The music is the man, January 21, 2004

Reviewer:  kennisi (see more about me)  from Hong Kong China

I lived in the same East Village building with this guy for over a decade, never said hello once or even nodded. The hell with him.

So:

1. The music is the man

2. The man never communicates

follows: the music does not communicate.

q.e.d.

ubu :lol:

... and then there is this one about Pastoral Composure:

tar star of wonderous electric flow braining peonies, February 4, 2001

Reviewer: james bmeranlz  from Fort Choad, Washington

If I could dance a chicken like a spoon through jello, I might lick the salt from Shipp's wounds. Shipp's songs, wonderous melodies of harmonious cacophonous assualt, assuage and soothe the spirits. Like a ship come home from stoooooormy seas, Shipp's newest CD proves to be one his most mature, revealing in its complicated aural offerings a picture of his growth. As I said, If I could light a kettle of fish with a worm grape I might find the pock marks on my uncle's head. Lifting riffs of music man come from Shipp.

...i think i just wore out my finger prints snapping along. :wacko::wacko::g

Jazz Loft has Multiplication Table listed on their site as available for $11.99. Multiplication Table. I say grab it while you can. It is my favorite of everything I have heard under Shipp's name. I have not been overwhelmed by the thirsty ear recordings, but everything I have heard by the trio with Parker and Ibarra including a couple of radio broadcasts is satisfying.

Edited by relyles

I hate to be a nattering nabob of negitivity, but I did not like Multiplication Table. I thought that Shipp was trying to make a Grand Statement, and failed. To my ears, the music was unfocused and too clever. I usually like remakes of standards, but I really did not like "C Jam Blues" or "Take the A Train", Shipp was trying too hard to be different. However I love what he does in the "String Trio" recordings, especially By the Law of Music, which I cannot get enough of. There's no denying Shipp's talent, I do, at times, question his musical choices.

Autumn leaves will never be the same again.

Gary, is "Summertime" on the CD? I have that one broadcast where they play four tunes only, "Summertime" among them.

ubu

No Ubu its not.

I'd never made any headway with By the Law of Music but maye that's just me. It seemed to me a bit po-faced.

The Multiplication Table still seems to be around in various places. Cadence still stocks it, for instance. Never heard it.

"Someone named Whit Dickey"? He may be less celebrated than Ibarra but he's a terrific drummer (one wishes the David S Ware group would ditch Mr Brown & return to Dickey....). Try his Prophet Moon with Brown & Morris for a taste.

I'd never made any headway with By the Law of Music but maye that's just me. It seemed to me a bit po-faced.

The Multiplication Table still seems to be around in various places. Cadence still stocks it, for instance. Never heard it.

"Someone named Whit Dickey"? He may be less celebrated than Ibarra but he's a terrific drummer (one wishes the David S Ware group would ditch Mr Brown & return to Dickey....). Try his Prophet Moon with Brown & Morris for a taste.

I never heard Ware - and until I got that Shipp disc, I never heard of Dickey, either, sorry.

That was not to imply that he was no good! And then I was not sure about his name when I wrote that post (and too lazy to go to AMG).

ubu

What Shipp / Ware disc? ubu?

I see that Shipp, Parker and Guillermo Brown have a disc coming :

H862.jpg

Nate... be interested to get your take on the bestest Ware of em all. I've liked several cuts off of the few of his sides I have heard (flight of i, gospellized, go see the world) but I have to be in such a 'mood' that I don't go there as often as I should.

And of all of Shipp's ThirstyEar discs I have to say that after it all wears off a bit, "Equilibrium" will stand up as my go to session.

Not terribly well-acquainted with Ware, I'm afraid. I think I got turned off because the one concert I saw was genuinely terrible (in Victoriaville in the mid-1990s--Ware was on crutches & spaced out, Dickey was just about to get kicked out of the band. It's a bad sign when from the stage Ware announced at the end of the concert that you've been listening to the "David S Ware Trio".). I have Go See the World & it's pretty good though it's somehow not music that I feel strongly about....yet, anyway (I just got it actually, from a sales bin in Chapters). I'm told that Flight of i & Godspelized are the other two to get, though unfortunately the DIWs seem to be out of print. At one point I decided I'd give Ware a 2nd chance & signed up to review his next disc...& then what does he do but release Threads.

I used to, and thankfully have not had it for a while, this re-occurring dream that I blew off an intense calculus test in high school, subsequently failing me and thus prior to not being able to graduate I wake up in a sweat. Well, I just received "Multiplication Table" yesterday from a DMG sale and put it through one spin. That nightmare was back. :wacko:

PM me if interested in a freshly spun but mint copy. I'll be out clapping erasers.

Gary, is "Summertime" on the CD? I have that one broadcast where they play four tunes only, "Summertime" among them.

ubu

"Summertime" is on Zo which has since been reissued on Thirsty Ear. It originally came out on some tiny label called Rise in 1994. Duet session w/ Parker. Very good. One of the few Shipp sessions that I held onto, frankly. His take on "Summertime" (both on this record and live) is distictly Ivesian, as he employs the very same dissonnances that make Ives' work so singular. Recommended. :tup