*** SUN RA Corner***

Rooster_Ties

I just went over to the Evidence site and saw that they have all of their Sun Ra discs on sale for $12, free shipping on orders over $24.

That's the best deal I've seen. (Didn't even occur to me to purchase discs directly from the site. Duh.)

Here's the complete list.

Stimulate the economy! ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in another thread, but it seems like no one has of yet offered a review of the DVD "The Cry of Jazz" with Sun Ra. Here it is again:

The thing is a joke. It's this group of whites and blacks sitting in somebody’s living room discussing race & and how it relates to jazz. It felt like a bad episode of the Jefferson’s with Stanley Crouch as George. The black brother schools the chronically un-hip and irritatingly defensive white guy. The sexy white girl is of course diggin' the heavy brother and he goes off into this pseudo-intellectual rant about how jazz is dead. In between you get tantalizing glimpses of the Chicago Sun Ra band circa 1959. Every time John Gilmore starts to take off, this guy chimes in with some more outdated rationalizations about aspects of jazz symbolizing some self-righteous idiocy. If this "intellectual" would have simply filmed the Ra band or did a documentary about them, the film would be a triumph. But instead he decided to lecture the audience about how "the changes" in jazz represent the never-ending cycle of pain that the "Negro" cannot escape without killing jazz…or some shit. What a bummer.

I posted this in another thread, but it seems like no one has of yet offered a review of the DVD "The Cry of Jazz" with Sun Ra. Here it is again:

The thing is a joke. It's this group of whites and blacks sitting in somebody’s living room discussing race & and how it relates to jazz. It felt like a bad episode of the Jefferson’s with Stanley Crouch as George. The black brother schools the chronically un-hip and irritatingly defensive white guy. The sexy white girl is of course diggin' the heavy brother and he goes off into this pseudo-intellectual rant about how jazz is dead. In between you get tantalizing glimpses of the Chicago Sun Ra band circa 1959. Every time John Gilmore starts to take off, this guy chimes in with some more outdated rationalizations about aspects of jazz symbolizing some self-righteous idiocy. If this "intellectual" would have simply filmed the Ra band or did a documentary about them, the film would be a triumph. But instead he decided to lecture the audience about how "the changes" in jazz represent the never-ending cycle of pain that the "Negro" cannot escape without killing jazz…or some shit. What a bummer.

Yep, it was a bit of a disapointment, I don't think I watched the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

My collection, all LPs:

ORIGINAL SATURNS

Invisible Shield

Continuation

Other Planes of There

Cosmic tones for Mental Therapy

Secrets of the Sun

Interstellar Low Ways

Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow

featuring Black Harold and Pharoah Sanders

We Travel the Spaceways

Space Probe

Visits Planet Earth

at Montreux Vol. 1/2

ORIGINAL SAVOY

The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra

ORIGINAL ESPs

Nothing Is

Heliocentric Worlds Vol. 1

Heliocentric Worlds Vol. 2

ORIGINAL ACTUEL

Solar-myth Approach Vol. 2

ORIGINAL SHANDAR

Nuits de la Fondation Maeght Vol. 2

IMPULSE REISSUES

Fate in a Pleasant Mood

Magic City

The Nubians of Plutonia

Super-sonic Sounds

Jazz in Silhouette

Pathways to Unknown Worlds

Angels and Demons at Play

Astro Black

OTHERS

It's After the End of the World (MPS)

Solar-myth Approach Vol. 1 (Affinity)

Pictures of Infinity (Black Lion)

Sun Song (Delmark)

Sound of Joy (Delmark)

Didn't see anyone mention Pathways to Unknown Worlds, one of my favorites. Also the Saturn with Pharoah as well as Continuation, Invisible Shield, Space Probe - all interesting stuff.

Edited by Michael Weiss

Some nice deals currently available at Wayside Music:

Item ID: 15/Universe 070

Artist: Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Research Arkestra

Title: It's After The The End Of The World

Price: $9.00

Akarma mini-lp sleeve.

Item ID: 15/Universe 079

Artist: Sun Ra

Title: Live in Paris at The Gibus

Special price while they last ... Packaged in a gatefold lp-style sleeve.

Item ID: 15/Universe 080

Title: Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, Vol. 1

Special price while they last ... This is the first time they have legitimately appeared on CD ... Packaged in a gatefold lp-style sleeve.

Item ID: 15/Universe 081

Title: Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, Vol. 2

Special price while they last ... This is the first time they have legitimately appeared on CD ... Packaged in a gatefold lp-style sleeve.

US shipping is reasonable if you order than one disc ($3.40 for the first item, $0.40 for each additional item).

Guest ariceffron

THANKS TO TRADING CDS, I HAVE MORE SUN RA THAN ANY OF YOU. TRUST ME YOU GUYS DONT KNOW THE HALF OF IT. WHAT EVER YOUR CONCEPTION OF SUN RA AND SUN RA WITH HIS ARKESTRA IS, YOU WOULD ALTER IT IF YOU HEARD THE MATERIAL I HAVE

THANKS TO TRADING CDS, I HAVE MORE SUN RA THAN ANY OF YOU. TRUST ME YOU GUYS DONT KNOW THE HALF OF IT. WHAT EVER YOUR CONCEPTION OF SUN RA AND SUN RA WITH HIS ARKESTRA IS, YOU WOULD ALTER IT IF YOU HEARD THE MATERIAL I HAVE

So waddaya saying....your Sun Ra is bigger than ours?

• 2 months later...
Guest akanalog

could anyone recommend any of the morass of sun ra out there for someone interested in impulse records in the early 70s kind of stuff (that was a bad description since i don't really like sun ra's impulse!)? i like keyboards and i do not like stuff that is too free but i also don't want any of ra's more traditional swing stuff. i almost picked up cosmo myth approach pt. 2 today but backed off. i recently got CDs of two of the horo albums and think they are both pretty cool though "other places, other blues" is really awesome. so i guess, you know...stuff like this. i need some structure but something not traditional or whatever. i guess some of the horo stuff is traditional, but you know what i mean. i think the reason i enjoy the horo albums so much is actually ra's use of the bassette for basslines since i like keyboards.

could anyone recommend any of the morass of sun ra out there for someone interested in impulse records in the early 70s kind of stuff (that was a bad description since i don't really like sun ra's impulse!)? i like keyboards and i do not like stuff that is too free but i also don't want any of ra's more traditional swing stuff. i almost picked up cosmo myth approach pt. 2 today but backed off. i recently got CDs of two of the horo albums and think they are both pretty cool though "other places, other blues" is really awesome. so i guess, you know...stuff like this. i need some structure but something not traditional or whatever. i guess some of the horo stuff is traditional, but you know what i mean. i think the reason i enjoy the horo albums so much is actually ra's use of the bassette for basslines since i like keyboards.

I suggest these:

Lanquidity (Evidence)

Strange Celestial Road (Rounder)

My Brother the Wind volume 2 (Evidence) (half of it anyway)

Mayan Temples (Black Saint) (superb late studio Sun Ra album)

c7004678213.jpg

:tup:tup:tup

"Somewhere Else" (shown above) is made up of "outtakes" (extra material) from the sessions that producted Ra's two A&M albums from the late 80's ("Blue Delight" and "Purple Night")

BUT, as much as I generally like "Blue Delight" and "Purple Night" (and a few cuts from each are really outstanding), SOMEHOW, "Somewhere Else" tops 'em both, at least in my book. ( :blink: )

(Includes some really outstanding work from Don Cherry as well.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My fave Ra LP's:

ANTIQUE BLACKS

LIVE IN EGYPT VOL 1

SLEEPING BEAUTY

LANQUIDITY

MY BROTHER THE WIND VOL 2

FATE IN A PLEASANT MOOD

WE TRAVEL THE SPACEWAYS

------------------------------------------------

If I was asked to compile my ultimate Sun Ra 'Best Of...' 3CD it would be thus:

DISC ONE:

Piano Interlude (DEEP PURPLE) 1955

Planet Earth (VISITS PLANET EARTH) 1958

Angels & Demons At Play (ANGELS & DEMONS AT PLAY) 1960

Tiny Pyramids (ANGELS & DEMONS AT PLAY) 1960

Fate In A Pleasant Mood (FATE IN A PLEASANT MOOD) 1960

The Others In Their World (FATE IN A PLEASANT MOOD) 1960

Interplanetary Music (WE TRAVEL THE SPACEWAYS) 1960

Tapestry From An Asteroid (WE TRAVEL THE SPACEWAYS) 1960

China Gate (FUTURISTIC SOUNDS OF SUN RA) 1961

Cluster of Galaxies (ARTFORMS OF DIMENSIONS TOMORROW) 1962

Solar Symbols (SECRETS OF THE SUN) 1963

Spontaneous Simplicity (PICTURES OF INFINITY) 1967

They'll Come Back (SOLAR-MYTH APPROACH) 1968

DISC TWO:

Somebody Else's World (MY BROTHER THE WIND VOL.2) 1970

Night Of the Purple Moon (NIGHT OF THE PURPLE MOON) 1970

Island In the Sun (INVISIBLE SHIELD) 1970

Discipline No.10 (CALLING PLANET EARTH) 1971

To Nature's God (LIVE IN EGYPT VOL.1) 1971

Neptune (DISCIPLINE 27-II) 1972

Discipline 33 (SPACE IS THE PLACE) 1972

Outer Spaceways Inc. (SPACE IS THE PLACE O.S.T) 1972

The Satellites Are Spinning (SPACE IS THE PLACE O.S.T) 1972

Spontaneous Simplicity (LIVE AT THE GIBUS) 1973

Love Is For Always (SUB-UNDERGROUND) 1974

Disc Three:

The Antique Blacks (ANTIQUE BLACKS) 1974

Love In Outer Space (SATURN 7") 1975

Moonship Journey (COSMOS) 1976

That's How I Feel (LANQUIDITY) 1978

Twin Stars of Thence (LANQUIDITY) 1978

When There Is No Sun (NEW STEPS) 1978

On Jupiter (ON JUPITER) 1979

Sleeping Beauty (SLEEPING BEAUTY) 1979

Say (STRANGE CELESTIAL ROADS) 1979

They Plan To Leave (RA TO THE RESCUE) 1982

KD

• 1 month later...
Guest akanalog

lately i have been getting into some sun ra albums that were initially too much for me. they have sort have been a gateway to more free stuff by other artists but for some reason i enjoy sun ra's free forays more than other musicians. why is this? i guess part of it is that i am a keyboard guy so i can enjoy free forays on a souped up organ more than on a piano. i also trust most of sun ra's main men musician wise to deliver the goods-people like boykins, allen, gilmore and patrick. i know they can and do go both inside and outside so they are not just trying to blow me completely out of the water. the albums i am enjoying right now are-

when angels speak of love

the solar myth approach vol 1 and 2

atlantis

heliocentric worlds vol 3

nothing is

i am not saying i can get totally into all this stuff, but i am impressed and have been able to find the logic and form behind something like the title track on atlantis where before i would have turned it off five mintues in (though i love all the shorter tracks!)

the solar myth approach is about my favorite sun ra right now. crappy sound but some very unique and mysterious stuff going on. a lot of synth tones i haven't heard other places.

• 6 months later...