wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

50,181 posts in this topic

I don't think it sat in the can that long - I have a pre-BASF pressing, which wouldn't have been released much later than 1969-70.

I got it on MPS/SABA around 1969.

Dexter Gordon 'Our Man In Paris' (BN NY USA, stereo)

ourmaninparis1.jpg

The Complete Yusef Lateef (Atlantic)

Contemporary Hungarian Music, Zoltan Jeney and Laszlo Sary (Hungaraton). Early 1970s works from two Hungarian composers--very nice and adventurous.

Contemporary Hungarian Music, Zoltan Jeney and Laszlo Sary (Hungaraton). Early 1970s works from two Hungarian composers--very nice and adventurous.

Excellent choice. Many treasures to be found on the Hungaraton label in the 1970s and 1980s, especially by composers of the Budapest New Music Studio (Jeney and Sary were both founding members).

donaldbyrd-longgreen-web.jpg

Recorded 60 years ago on Tuesday !

Edited by sidewinder

Jimmy Giuffre Trio, Travelin' Light (Atlantic black label), Duke Ellington, Afro-Bossa (Reprise,mono promo), and Junior Mance, Harlem Lullaby (Atlantic mono promo).

European Jazz Consensus-----Four for Slavia-------(EMI Electrola GmbH)

Skidmore and Dudek responsible for sax duties with drum n bass. Wonder who was responsible for the lame band name? 1977 Hamburg. 

Excellent choice. Many treasures to be found on the Hungaraton label in the 1970s and 1980s, especially by composers of the Budapest New Music Studio (Jeney and Sary were both founding members).

I've yet to find a dud on that label. Zsolt Durko is another favourite. Do you have any other recommendations? Hungaraton also did that amazing edition of Bartok's works.

Edited by B. Clugston

Only stuff I have on Hungaroton is traditional Hungarian folk music... but those sets are stunning.

Roscoe Mitchell, Tony Marsh, John Edwards - Improvisations [ OtoRoku]

Enjoying the lunar eclipse with  Steve Lacy

754744.jpg

Prompted by a mention elsewhere on the board

61PYh0pMAML._SY355_.jpg

IMO his best ever album (although very closely followed by "Illusions") ....

Herbie Mann, Family of Mann (Atlantic)

howard.png

The reissue but not bad. Love the album; it has that sincere yet occasionally cheesy quality of the time, very full of personality. 

howard.png

The reissue but not bad. Love the album; it has that sincere yet occasionally cheesy quality of the time, very full of personality. 

I have an original of it - you're right in that it's not bad, but nor is it my favorite Howard LP from the era (that would have to be Berlin Concert or Live in Europe Vol. 1). 

Edited by clifford_thornton
bad grammar

tchica_john_tribalgho_101b.jpg

Tribal Ghost - John Tchicai, et al.   A lovely album. 

Julius Hemphill, Blue Boyé (Mbari). 2 LPs of Hemphill on alto, soprano and flute, often overdubbed. There's another similarly constituted 2 LP set from that era on Sackville.