• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

Mine has "New York" labels. 

Interesting that the gatefold sleeve has a picture of Alfred Lion - credited as A&R producer. From I read elsewhere (Londonjazzcollector) this was the last BN session produced/recorded before the hand over to Liberty. Earliest edition were Liberty pressed. One might assume that having a NY label makes it an earlier pressing ( than my Liberty labelled edition), not that it actually matters and of course with BN pressings nothing can ever be assumed !!!

Edited by Clunky

dean_eltond_chequeisi_101b.jpg

Elton Dean---------Cheque is in the mail-------(Ogun)

The "dated' sound of Gallivan's synth sounds timeless. I've mixed feelings about the end result which doesn't ultimately bring the best out of Wheeler or Dean. Worth hearing and trying again. Perhaps I'd feel it more if it was by Sun Ra -where weirdness trumps everything else.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

dean_eltond_chequeisi_101b.jpg

Elton Dean---------Cheque is in the mail-------(Ogun)

The "dated' sound of Gallivan's synth sounds timeless. I've mixed feelings about the end result which doesn't ultimately bring the best out of Wheeler or Dean. Worth hearing and trying again. Perhaps I'd feel it more if it was by Sun Ra -where weirdness trumps everything else.

One of the MIA records I hope to hear one day. I didn't buy it at the time it came out, fearing excessive 'weirdness'. Looks like one I can afford to live without for some time longer. 

Archie Shepp-----Yasmina , a black woman ------(Affinity UK)

I've never been quite sure of the    legitimatecy of these sessions  whatever label . These Affinity issues sound fine, quiet pressings and are cheap /easy to find. Good session

next

Harry Beckett ---Flare Up ------( Philips UK)

Top drawer jazz. 

R-2791282-1301186976.jpeg.jpg

Clifford Brown/Max Roach: Live at the Bee Hive (CBS Holland)

Max Roach played a lot of great music over his lifetime, but if he had done nothing other than this recording, his reputation as a master musician would be assured. He must have been exhausted after playing this gig.

Edited by paul secor

7 hours ago, Clunky said:

Harry Beckett ---Flare Up ------( Philips UK)

Top drawer jazz. 

Good as the Vocalion CD is, the Philips vinyl is even nicer. I'll dig it out.

Must get hold of Harry's 'Joy Unlimited' on Ogun. Heard a track or two of that one at the time it came out and never seen it since !

Philip Catherine "stream" (charlevoix, Canada) 2015 vinyl reissue from Quebec of all places. Have no clue if this is legit or not - does anyone have more info on this?  Found it on eBay as I've long wanted the original but never felt compelled to spend the crazy money originals go for.  

After playing it I'm glad I never did spend money on an original; it's nice but the tunes are all pretty short and I actually prefer "September man".  I guess the presence of Marc Moulin on keys and the extra "funk" sound pushes the price up on this.  Anyway...this reissue will serve me fine.