Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5-5-2016 at 4:13 AM, clifford_thornton said:

Would have liked to have seen that performance. By the way, the drummer, Rashid Bakr, now goes by his given name Charles Downs, and is a very fine player.

I'm also very fond of the Montmartre dates. They swing hard and move freelyĀ in around form. It's stunning, balletic music. I have both on Dutch Fontana LPs (one with a Marte Rƶling cover design).

Ā 

Clifford, I found this video of the concert for you (hope this can be viewed outside Belgium):

http://cobra.canvas.be/cm/cobra/videozone/archief/redactietips-cobra/jazzmiddelheim-museum/1.1056671

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Grant Green 'The Latin Bit' (BN NY USA, ear). Lucky find at Ā£2 back in the day, sounds pretty spectacular.

Nice find..

NP

MI0000767701.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Freddie Roach ------Brown Sugar--------(BN) NYC stereo dg.

Ā 

Perhaps Frederick's least successful BN. The funereal "The Midnight Sun Ā will never set" is an odd choice to start side 2. It brings out the worst of Roach's rinky-dink funfair style B3 playing. As a haunting ballad "All night long" is much better with Joe Henderson sounding as if he is putting at least some effort in. Albeit not much but the lazy sound works quite nicely. I'm not too surprised that M. Cuscuna overlooked reissuing this one domestically. Fair comment , any lovers of this session still awake?

11 hours ago, Clunky said:

Nice find..

NP

MI0000767701.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Freddie Roach ------Brown Sugar--------(BN) NYC stereo dg.

Ā 

Perhaps Frederick's least successful BN. The funereal "The Midnight Sun Ā will never set" is an odd choice to start side 2. It brings out the worst of Roach's rinky-dink funfair style B3 playing. As a haunting ballad "All night long" is much better with Joe Henderson sounding as if he is putting at least some effort in. Albeit not much but the lazy sound works quite nicely. I'm not too surprised that M. Cuscuna overlooked reissuing this one domestically. Fair comment , any lovers of this session still awake?

I like it. Think my pressing'sĀ a NY mono one but will have to check. I like Joe H's work on this LP.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I like it. Think my pressing'sĀ a NY mono one but will have to check. I like Joe H's work on this LP.

LUV it, but it was the first Freddie Roach I bought, a long time ago, if I'd had Mo' Greens or one of the others first I might feel differently...but I doubt it, I love hearing Joe Hen in this context, generally prefer him as a sideman.

Recently picked up a whole slew of cheap albums on the Time label in really nice condition. Ā All three are fantastic musically and sound-wise; the stereo spread on the Bennie Green doesn't even bother me that much.

Stan "the man" Turrentine "vol.7" (with volume 7 on the labels indicating first press according to my jazz expert friend)

Bennie Green "s/t"

Kenny Dorham "jazz contemporary"

Each one cost me only around $10...if only all goodĀ jazz Lps were this cheap :0

Picked up an original of that Dorham on Time for not much more than $10 in Disk Union, believe it it not.Ā 

Never been a massive fan of that particular Turrentine, will give it a respin.

Spinning Les McCann 'Pretty Lady' (King Pacific Jazz). With the deck rebuild all these Japanese pressingsĀ are sounding fantastic, in the case of the Pacific Jazz LPs almost certainly way better than the originals.

81JN7bbsiNL._SL1417_.jpg

Sonny Stitt: My Mother's Eyes (Pacific Jazz Japan)

Bob Porter begins his liner notes by saying that Sonny Stitt would go into a studio 3 or 4 times a year, usually with just a rhythm section, and record albums with a few blues based originals and some standards. This was is probably a cut above average, but what was the point? I know the point was that Sonny picked up a few bucks, but beyond that?