wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

43,807 posts in this topic

R-5062037-1383478792-7103.jpeg.jpg

with Muhal Richard Abrams on electric piano and Rufus Reid on bass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1126315-1551975937-7534.jpeg.jpg

John Lewis & Svend Asmussen - European Encounter (Atlantic, 1962)
Jazzlore series reissue

Years ago, I had the cassette tape version of this release. It's long gone. But I recently found a still-sealed copy of the LP for a couple bucks. ... Nice to hear it again. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-1126315-1551975937-7534.jpeg.jpg

John Lewis & Svend Asmussen - European Encounter (Atlantic, 1962)
Jazzlore series reissue

Years ago, I had the cassette tape version of this release. It's long gone. But I recently found a still-sealed copy of the LP for a couple bucks. ... Nice to hear it again. :) 

Nice story about a legendary album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-5062037-1383478792-7103.jpeg.jpg

with Muhal Richard Abrams on electric piano and Rufus Reid on bass

👍!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´ll never Forget the exitement of all of us when we read that Miles would return to record Studio and tour, and how we waited to be "Man with the Horn" and "We Want..." published. 

I have listened to Miles live on almost all ocasions he was in town from his comeback until his death, but this first band was the one I like most. It was brandnew then, but even had Moments were it seems they looked back . "Back Seat Betty" reminds me of "Miles runs the Vooodoo down" from Bitches Brew. 

"My Man´s Gone Now" is great, and "Kix" even has a lot of swing rhythm for long sections. 

It was said that Miles´ trumpet still didn´t sound properly, but play he does on those sides, much more than on the more celebrated later Shows which I didn´t like that much. "Star People" still was a quite good Album, but with "Decoy" I started to loose interest and if I spinned "You Are Under Arrest" or "Tutu" or "Amandla" more than 3 times in my life, I´d be very surprised…….

Unbenannt.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-3765309-1343506795-1741.jpeg.jpg

I picked up this LP because Clare Fischer plays Fender Rhodes on all the cuts and arranged the non-vocal parts. ... Can't say that I love it.  But the music is interesting -- even if it doesn't approach the brilliance of Fischer's recordings as a leader from the same era. :)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-3765309-1343506795-1741.jpeg.jpg

I picked up this LP because Clare Fischer plays Fender Rhodes on all the cuts and arranged the non-vocal parts. ... Can't say that I love it.  But the music is interesting -- even if it doesn't approach the brilliance of Fischer's recordings as a leader from the same era. :)   

Don't know how exposed you are to the Singers Unlimited, but if you want interesting, check out the a capella sides...they did three LPs worth that are currently available on a 2 CD set. Here's a typical example:

And if you want to hear what, for me, is the apex of the Fischer/Puerling collaboration, here ya' go:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Don't know how exposed you are to the Singers Unlimited, but if you want interesting, check out the a capella sides...they did three LPs worth that are currently available on a 2 CD set. Here's a typical example:

[video]

And if you want to hear what, for me, is the apex of the Fischer/Puerling collaboration, here ya' go:

[video]

Thanks for the recommendations, Jim.  I'm listening to them right now. 

There's a Wonder Bread aspect to the Singers Unlimited / Hi-Lo's music -- smoothly textured & exceedingly white.  Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.  Gotta say though ... I've always had a tough time grooving to the Beach Boys, and this sort of reminds me of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks for the recommendations, Jim.  I'm listening to them right now. 

There's a Wonder Bread aspect to the Singers Unlimited / Hi-Lo's music -- smoothly textured & exceedingly white.  Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.  Gotta say though ... I've always had a tough time grooving to the Beach Boys, and this sort of reminds me of that. 

I get that. felt the same way for a loooooong time. It took be a while to get comfortable with that.

But I got over it. At some point, you either value honesty or you don't. And there's an honesty, a truth, even, to the aural physics of the basic space created by those harmonies, a big wide open, damn-near infinite space.

In the end, I find it hard to believe that that type of space is only for white people. Infinity is for everybody. If it's not, then it's not really infinity, is it?

Similarly, nobody can be all of infinity, so everybody plays their part, either in getting there or keeping us from getting there.

Perception is a trickster of the most insidious and vile variety. It wants us to believe that all we have now is all we can ever have. And it wants us to believe that if we can never know it all, then it's foolish to want to know more. It wants us to stay who we are, because, you know, it's hard to hit a moving target.

Gotta keep moving!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I get that. felt the same way for a loooooong time. It took be a while to get comfortable with that.

But I got over it. At some point, you either value honesty or you don't. And there's an honesty, a truth, even, to the aural physics of the basic space created by those harmonies, a big wide open, damn-near infinite space.

In the end, I find it hard to believe that that type of space is only for white people. Infinity is for everybody. If it's not, then it's not really infinity, is it?

Similarly, nobody can be all of infinity, so everybody plays their part, either in getting there or keeping us from getting there.

Perception is a trickster of the most insidious and vile variety. It wants us to believe that all we have now is all we can ever have. And it wants us to believe that if we can never know it all, then it's foolish to want to know more. It wants us to stay who we are, because, you know, it's hard to hit a moving target.

Gotta keep moving!

Fair enough.  I dig that perspective.  Even if I don't really hear the music now, perhaps I will tomorrow:tup 

That ear-evolution thing is (hopefully!) always happening.

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I'm prone to liking musics that are "exceedingly" anything. I mean, I've never complained about music being exceedingly black, or exceeding hillbilly, or exceedingly Mexican, or...you know. Seems to me that the downside to being turned of by exceedingly something is a willingness to settle for something that is "sorta" anything.

Careful with that, now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That ear-evolution thing is (hopefully!) always happening.

The ear-evolution will not be televised :D ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Also, I'm prone to liking musics that are "exceedingly" anything. I mean, I've never complained about music being exceedingly black, or exceeding hillbilly, or exceedingly Mexican, or...you know. Seems to me that the downside to being turned of by exceedingly something is a willingness to settle for something that is "sorta" anything.

Careful with that, now!

LOL. You know, you're right! 

Maybe I need to let go and FULLY EMBRACE the Wonder Bread-ness of it! 

GUEST_9d949e79-f32b-4022-9eb4-42540e8862

It is what it unapologetically is!

... I'm kidding. But only partly. I also hear what you're saying. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, but Wonder Bread is chemical. Gene Puerling was organic. Nothing chemical about basic vocal harmony, even with overdubbing.

And good white bread, the kind you make from scratch, ain't nothing wrong with that! Smells good, tastes even better!

Now here's some next-level whatever that "thing" is. I saw this guys live and it's STILL fucking me up!

 

 

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

The ear-evolution will not be televised :D ....

and it DAMN sure won't be played on the radio! :g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-6685326-1479386902-2897.jpeg.jpg

Central Avenue Breakdown, Vol. 2 (Onyx)

1945/47 sessions led by Teddy Edwards, Barney Kessel, and Slim Gaillard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First listen to another recent find:

R-4655408-1536002593-6786.jpeg.jpg

Orchestra U.S.A.; Music Director, John Lewis - Debut (Colpix, 1963)

soloists include Eric Dolphy, Phil Woods, and Jim Hall (and John Lewis, of course)

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, the previous LP made me think of Dizzy's The New Continent. So now I'm giving that one a spin.

R-1071224-1189936361.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

For some reason, the previous LP made me think of Dizzy's The New Continent. So now I'm giving that one a spin.

R-1071224-1189936361.jpeg.jpg

My King pressing of that one from Mr Tanno needs to be dug out. :tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

My King pressing of that one from Mr Tanno needs to be dug out. :tup

sidewinder, who is Mr. Tanno?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

sidewinder, who is Mr. Tanno?

Hiroshi Tanno - A wonderful jazz vinyl mail order dealer from Japan (ran a shop as well I believe). He closed shop over a decade ago now but back in the day his listings were full of gems - reasonably priced too and invariably immaculate condition. Mr Tanno is missed !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Hiroshi Tanno - A wonderful jazz vinyl mail order dealer from Japan (ran a shop as well I believe). He closed shop over a decade ago now but back in the day his listings were full of gems - reasonably priced too and invariably immaculate condition. Mr Tanno is missed !

Ah, I see. :tup 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.