Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

they worked together -- Pinotti also had lists, in addition to running the Qbico label. 

19 hours ago, corto maltese said:

I think you are confusing him with Roberto Castelli and his legendary "Jazz and Improvised Music Auction List".

I am interested if anyone has a copy. I have tried to find it on the internet but without success. The Gustafsson / Discaholics auction lists, which I now see are based on this one, I have found to be a good source of obscure records that, even if I'll never own them, are interesting to hear.

20 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I am interested if anyone has a copy. I have tried to find it on the internet but without success. The Gustafsson / Discaholics auction lists, which I now see are based on this one, I have found to be a good source of obscure records that, even if I'll never own them, are interesting to hear.

I might have a few of the Castelli booklets in the cellar somewhere, full of notes and my bids (almost always way too low :D). These booklets were indeed valuable sources of knowledge in a period when you could hardly find any information about such records on the early Internet. If a cover was pictured in the catalogue and certainly if Castelli marked the record as "rare" or "very rare" (terms he used sparingly), you knew you had very little chance of finding it in your local second-hand shops.

Mats Gustafsson's decision to print his auction list as a booklet and send it around was indeed a kind of tribute to Roberto Castelli. His memories of the lists are very recognisable to me.

On 14/08/2021 at 2:08 AM, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

This set repackages three James Moody albums originally released on Argo: 
Flute 'N The Blues,
Moody's Mood For Love, and
Last Train From Overbrook.

HutchFan, you’ve been listening to a lot of Moody recently, and I remember him showing on your Playing Favorites blog too. If you had to take three James Moody albums to your desert island, which would they be? I’m a big flute fan, but I don’t really know his work.

16 hours ago, corto maltese said:

I might have a few of the Castelli booklets in the cellar somewhere, full of notes and my bids (almost always way too low :D). These booklets were indeed valuable sources of knowledge in a period when you could hardly find any information about such records on the early Internet. If a cover was pictured in the catalogue and certainly if Castelli marked the record as "rare" or "very rare" (terms he used sparingly), you knew you had very little chance of finding it in your local second-hand shops.

Mats Gustafsson's decision to print his auction list as a booklet and send it around was indeed a kind of tribute to Roberto Castelli. His memories of the lists are very recognisable to me.

On 13/08/2021 at 7:20 PM, clifford_thornton said:

I regrettably let my Castelli booklets go in a move. 

The Pinotti lists were online, not printed out. The last one must've been in the early 2000s.

I’ve spent a while in the last few days trying to track them down but to no avail. I a vintage record collector’s list (@rostasi mentioned the Nurse With Wound one earlier in the week; the slightly queasy Thurston Moore one is another). I see that the EFI Sheffield page used to link to it, but the link’s now down.

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

HutchFan, you’ve been listening to a lot of Moody recently, and I remember him showing on your Playing Favorites blog too. If you had to take three James Moody albums to your desert island, which would they be? I’m a big flute fan, but I don’t really know his work.

Rab,

Limiting Moody to just three picks is tough! But I'll give it a shot. :P

My blog selection -- Never Again! (Muse, 1972) -- is the Moody album that made me realize I'd been overlooking him. I'd always considered Moody to be a sort of Robin to Dizzy's Batman. WRONG! Moody is a totally bad MFer in his own right -- and he's got his own, very distinctive thing apart from Diz (even though he's also very complementary to Diz in a Miles-and-Coltrane sorta way). Never Again features Moody with Mickey Tucker on organ, so the album has a Soul Jazz vibe. But that's always true of Moody's music; he's ALWAYS soulful -- think of players like Jug or Fathead or Ben. Moody is right there with them.

I'd also choose Heritage Hum (Perception, 1971). It features Moody on flute (on most cuts), and it's a showcase for his reflective and lyrical side. Killer band too with Sam Jones & Freddie Waits.

My third choice would be Return from Overbrook (Chess/GRP).  It's a bit of a cheat because it compiles two of Moody's Argo LPs on a single CD: Flute 'n the Blues (1956) and Last Train from Overbrook (1958). The thing to remember about these records -- and most of Moody's Argo/Cadet LPs -- is that Moody's groups (usually a septet) often performed like a little big band, not just making music for listening but also for dancing. So, even though Moody came up in the Bop era, his bands were a sort of throwback to earlier times, when bands made more dance-oriented music. Moody's groups were moving around in the same sorta space as, say, Ray Charles' bands. So you shouldn't come to Moody's albums expecting some Blue Note-y bop or hard bop. Moody was in a different bag. It's very musical and soulful -- but operating in a slightly different space. ... Or at least that's how I think about it. 

Both before and after the Argo/Cadet albums, Moody made more "straight jazz"/bop. But I dig the Argo/Cadet stuff precisely because it's something different, vibe-wise.

I hope that helps! :tup

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Feelin' It Together is gotta be in there too!

Moody never made a bad record, although if you're "collecting", I might save those later RCA records for the end. 

Funny you say that Jim, because I was just working on this "supplement":

Five more from Moody for good measure:
- Moody's Mood for Blues (Prestige); compiles two LPs recorded in 1954-55
- Hey, It's James Moody (Argo, 1960)
- Running the Gamut (Scepter, 1965) - much more boppish than other LPs from this time -- with Thad Jones
- Moody & the Brass Figures (Milestone, 1968) - more of "listening" album; with arrangements by Tom McIntosh
- Feelin' It Together (Muse/32 Jazz, 1974) - includes an amazing version of "Anthropology"

;) 

25 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Five more from Moody for good measure:
- Moody's Mood for Blues (Prestige); compiles two LPs recorded in 1954-55
- Hey, It's James Moody (Argo, 1960)
- Running the Gamut (Scepter, 1965) - much more boppish than other LPs from this time -- with Thad Jones
- Moody & the Brass Figures (Milestone, 1968) - more of "listening" album; with arrangements by Tom McIntosh
- Feelin' It Together (Muse/32 Jazz, 1974) - includes an amazing version of "Anthropology"

;) 

I love the early 70's album where he does "The World is a Ghetto."

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Rab,

Limiting Moody to just three picks is tough! But I'll give it a shot. :P

My blog selection -- Never Again! (Muse, 1972) -- is the Moody album that made me realize I'd been overlooking him. I'd always considered Moody to be a sort of Robin to Dizzy's Batman. WRONG! Moody is a totally bad MFer in his own right -- and he's got his own, very distinctive thing apart from Diz (even though he's also very complementary to Diz in a Miles-and-Coltrane sorta way). Never Again features Moody with Mickey Tucker on organ, so the album has a Soul Jazz vibe. But that's always true of Moody's music; he's ALWAYS soulful -- think of players like Jug or Fathead or Ben. Moody is right there with them.

I'd also choose Heritage Hum (Perception, 1971). It features Moody on flute (on most cuts), and it's a showcase for his reflective and lyrical side. Killer band too with Sam Jones & Freddie Waits.

My third choice would be Return from Overbrook (Chess/GRP).  It's a bit of a cheat because it compiles two of Moody's Argo LPs on a single CD: Flute 'n the Blues (1956) and Last Train from Overbrook (1958). The thing to remember about these records -- and most of Moody's Argo/Cadet LPs -- is that Moody's groups (usually a septet) often performed like a little big band, not just making music for listening but also for dancing. So, even though Moody came up in the Bop era, his bands were a sort of throwback to earlier times, when bands made more dance-oriented music. Moody's groups were moving around in the same sorta space as, say, Ray Charles' bands. So you shouldn't come to Moody's albums expecting some Blue Note-y bop or hard bop. Moody was in a different bag. It's very musical and soulful -- but operating in a slightly different space. ... Or at least that's how I think about it. 

Both before and after the Argo/Cadet albums, Moody made more "straight jazz"/bop. But I dig the Argo/Cadet stuff precisely because it's something different, vibe-wise.

I hope that helps! :tup

This is great. Thank you. I love the write ups too.

R-9655868-1484300637-4523.jpeg.jpg

Danish Metronome, Mono. Same metalwork as the Prestige Bergenfield I think, sonically very good.

On 14/08/2021 at 2:08 AM, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-3597490-1336790508-3234.jpeg.jpg

This set repackages three James Moody albums originally released on Argo: 
Flute 'N The Blues,
Moody's Mood For Love, and
Last Train From Overbrook.

As featured in billions of 70s cutout bins !  Wish I’d bought a copy.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I love the early 70's album where he does "The World is a Ghetto."

Yes, that's on Moody's one Paula LP.  I don't have that one, but I've heard it.  I figure I'll eventually get around to picking it up.

R-12626050-1538854702-5427.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan