• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

compared to this - what I believe is the UK - version (especially note the Fontana logo):

dankworthjohn001.jpg

Perhaps sidewinder or someone else of our British vinyl experts may be able to confirm this. The LP label is just plain blue with nothing else printed than the track titles and a circular Fontana logo.

Yes, that is the UK Fontana cover. If I recall, this one is compiled from two sessions - side 1 has tracks from 'What The Dickens' and side 2 tracks from a slightly later session.

It doesn't appear so; it's a conceptual album, the contents being a continuous suite. It seems to have been recorded in 1967, since the liners make a point about Dankworth's "very newest orchestra" and mentioning a May 1967 gig at Ronnie Scott's. But I think I will seek out 'Dickens' and the other of Dankworth's 60s big band dates too. :)

Now listening to the Blue Mitchell Milestone twofer, the side from 'Smooth as the Wind'.

I've found that over the years there are a limited amount of LPs in my collection that I've listened to on a regular basis. The last couple of weeks I've been trying to go through the ones that have been ignored. One thing I've found is that my taste in music has changed quite a bit. I've also gotten reacquainted with some really good records.

One is "Just Play (1976)" on Quark Records by Karl Berger and Edward Blackwell. Really nice duet improvisations and Ed Blackwell is just a great drummer. One other interesting thing is that the play time for side 1 is 30 minutes and side 2 is 27 minutes. I thought only CDs were suppose to have that much music on them.

One other interesting thing is that the play time for side 1 is 30 minutes and side 2 is 27 minutes. I thought only CDs were suppose to have that much music on them.

I've got classical LPs with 40 minutes on each side, which means it would even be difficult to squeeze the contents onto a single CD. The LP grooves are narrower during quieter passages, so maximum playing time depends on the dynamics of the music. However, with playing times of 30 minutes or more the overall dynamic range will probably suffer. I've even seen a disclaimer once (on what happened to be a Red Mitchell LP from the 1980s) that in order to get all of the music onto the LP, the producer (who might have been Mitchell himself) had to limit the dynamic range of the recording.

One other interesting thing is that the play time for side 1 is 30 minutes and side 2 is 27 minutes. I thought only CDs were suppose to have that much music on them.

I've got classical LPs with 40 minutes on each side, which means it would even be difficult to squeeze the contents onto a single CD. The LP grooves are narrower during quieter passages, so maximum playing time depends on the dynamics of the music. However, with playing times of 30 minutes or more the overall dynamic range will probably suffer. I've even seen a disclaimer once (on what happened to be a Red Mitchell LP from the 1980s) that in order to get all of the music onto the LP, the producer (who might have been Mitchell himself) had to limit the dynamic range of the recording.

My experience with long LP sides is that they're more inclined to skip, unless you have a really good turntable. When I eventually DID buy a decent turntable, I found quite a few LPs were rehabilitated. :)

My question always was, why do manufacturers make records that can only be played on high end equipment?

MG