What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

I saw the Chambers Brothers circa 1968.  I can't remember if they were opening for The Doors, or The Doors were opening for them.  It could very well have been the latter, as the CB's had a huge hit, "Time Has Come Today."  That was a night.

I saw them open for the Doors, so that's probably what you saw, too.

Didn't Jimi produce Cat Mother? I remember something about their association, too. Then there's always "Eire Apparent", the Hendrix produced psychedelic disk that sounds like Jimi is all over it. But it might just be the band cloning his sound.

c00002x00ec.jpg

Remember what has been said:

Those who can remember the 60s probably weren't there ;):g:lol:

Yes, supposedly Hendrix "produced" Cat Mother, although what that entailed is anybody's guess. It would have been nice for Jimi to have thrown in a few guitar licks ^_^

Did I tell you about the time I saw Hendrix at Fillmore East.............

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uh.................no! Was it New Year's '69/70, by any chance?

I was fortunate to have seen him twice myself. The first time was my first rock concert (!) :o

Here are my ticket stubs:

Edited by BFrank

I was fortunate to have seen him twice myself. The first time was my first rock concert (!) :o

"A pillow concert" ?? :blink: Somehow incongruous to think of Hendrix doing a frat "pillow concert" ^_^ That's a really nice memento!

The Hendrix show I saw was on May 10, 1968. Sly Stone was the other performer. For some reason (or none at all) I have only the haziest recollection of Sly. Somehow they didn't connect for me that night.

I remember Hendrix doing some of his guitar antics-- playing behind his back, using his teeth, etc. But he was also laying down incredible grooves, wah-wah, feedback. And I 've always loved Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding and thought Hendrix played his best while with them. I just thought the whole group was so damn cool :)

Listening to Sonny Fortune's "Waves of Dreams" --

WavesOfDreams.jpg

A&M Records, 1976. I don't think this one made it to CD; at least it doesn't appear to be in release at this time.

AMG gave it a low 2 star rating, which I think is plain wrong. There is some typical 1970s MOOG and ARP synthesizer stuff, but it never gets in the way of the music and is nicely textured into the whole. The playing is excellent, with Sonny on alto and soprano mostly, and Charles Sullivan on trumpet. There are a lot of interesting musical ideas at play. I suspect if this was on Blue Note it would have gotten much more attention. "Leeway 4 stars" ;)

"A pillow concert" ?? :blink: Somehow incongruous to think of Hendrix doing a frat "pillow concert" ^_^ That's a really nice memento!

The Hendrix show I saw was on May 10, 1968. Sly Stone was the other performer. For some reason (or none at all) I have only the haziest recollection of Sly. Somehow they didn't connect for me that night.

I remember Hendrix doing some of his guitar antics-- playing behind his back, using his teeth, etc. But he was also laying down incredible grooves, wah-wah, feedback. And I 've always loved Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding and thought Hendrix played his best while with them. I just thought the whole group was so damn cool :)

Whoa! Somehow I never noticed that "pillow concert" reference. :o

I guess it was for people sitting on the floor of the gym - there were no chairs set up.

I'm not surprised that you don't remember Sly. I don't remember Soft Machine very well, either (although I do remember that they had a great light show!)

I'm not surprised that you don't remember Sly. I don't remember Soft Machine very well, either (although I do remember that they had a great light show!)

Oh YEAH, the light show ;) Those psychedelic amoeba images are still vivid to my mind. I think it was called the Joshua light show, but it might have gone through changes in name over time.

I never sat in the orchestra section, always the first or 2nd row of the balcony. Felt better up there! B-)

Still raining, still listening:

d77685q3m70.jpg

Pretty uneven. The covers of "Saving All My Love For You" and "Crazy" don't do it for me. Best cuts, for me, "B Funk" and "Macho."

Not much of a Brubeck fan, really, but wanted to hear Mulligan:

24_2.JPG

"Compadres" "Live in Mexico" quartet with Brubeck, Mulligan, Alan Dawson, Jack Six.

Leonard Feather's liner notes talk about the Newport Jazz Festival in Mexico, which seems to have consisted of a couple of tours of a group of musicians in 1967- 1968.

7f_2.JPG

When she was young, Marianne Faithfull recorded in that "Lady Jane" style, all love lyrics, pretty voice, pretty arrangements, etc, while, at the time, by all accounts, including her own, she was living the prototypical sex, drugs and rock and roll life style (neatly wrapped up in the figure of her then-boyfriend Mick Jagger). Now she sings in a hard, gravelly, voice about tough things like addiction, loss, pain, but apparently her own life is cleaned up. In retrospect, Marianne is a heckuva cabaret singer.

d70710257r7.jpg

Vanilla Fudge- "The Beat Goes On" - ATCO.

Wild ambitious history of music? hopelessly confused concept album? anti-war album? head music? All of the above? I love that Gothic organ sound, but it appears in better form on their first album.

Decidely non-jazz yesterday and today. All new releases on LP...

The Postal Service - Give Up

Tom Waits - Real Gone

Robyn Hitchcock - Spooked

Willie Nelson - It Will Always Be

Nice to see some heavy support of new vinyl. The Waits interests me. I really like music and sound of Mule Variations.

Enjoy the Parlan set, also!!

Did you get the Hodges?

Nice to see some heavy support of new vinyl. The Waits interests me. I really like music and sound of Mule Variations.

Enjoy the Parlan set, also!!

Did you get the Hodges?

I'm lucky in that a lot of the non-jazz I follow is usually released on LP and I almost always go for the vinyl if it's available. (R.E.M., Elliot Smith, Belle & Sebastian, Death Cab for Cutie, etc... still trying to get a UK copy of Paul Weller's latest though)

I've held off and only listened to the new Wilco via the 'net. The LP release has been pushed back a couple of times, but it's supposed to finally come out next week.

Parlan should show up next week. I left a message for the Hodges, but I'm guessing I won't hear back until after the holiday.

As far as the Waits goes, I like this one better than Mule Variations by a mile. I've had the One From the Heart soundtrack on the brain lately and while this is a departure from the Waits songs from the movie, it's still enjoyable.