• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aha - The Marte Roling cover.. Thanks John, I'm looking forward to this one ! Just love those 60s Fontanas. I've got the Ted Curson and Dollar Brand somewhere in the racks.

Marte Roling used a photo of Marion Brown that I took. The photo was published in Jazz Hot back in 1966! Wish she had acknowledged her source :excited:

Motherland-The Visitors-Muse

Stringsville-Harry Lookofsky- Atlantic

Harry was not the greatest jazz violinist, but this is a nice date with Hank Jones,PC and Elvin as the rhythm section and Bob Brookmeyer added on half the tunes.Harry was on a ton of jazz dates in the 60's. If it had a string section chances are Harry was either the concert master or in the section.

Cal Tjader/Don Elliot-Savoy

I have not checked the books, but i suspect these were 10"ers.

Tjader is side 1 and Elliot side 2. On three of the Elliot cuts there is some real roller rink organ from Doug Duke.

Lullaby Of Birdland-Marion McPartland-Savoy

"The Nightfly" - Donald Fagen

I must admit that I didn't know what to expect with this album. I was attracted by the black and white album cover, with a gorgeous shot of a setting of a disc-jockey speaking into an old fashioned microphone in a sound room, sitting behind a turtable.

The tracks are very eclectic and slow and bluesy, with an interesting take of "Ruby Baby", which many of you probably remember as having been done by Dion and the Belmonts back in the early sixties. This version is much more sophistocated that Dion's.

This is how Fagen described the album:

"The songs in this album represent certain fantasies that might have been entertained by a young man growing up in the remote suburbs of a northeastern city during the late fifties and early sixties, i.e. one of my general height, weight and build."

I was intrigued when I read the personel list. It included Randy Brecker on trumpet and flugelhorn and Michael Brecker on tenor sax. Drums were manned by Jeff Porcano on all tracks but the last, a tune called Maxine, on which Ed Green is credited. Although I had never heard of either of them, they do nice work.

This has the feeling of songs that I remember from the late fifties and early sixties, so I guess that the liner notes are quite accurate. No tricks. Just good musicians and interesting lyrics.

Very nice album.

Edited by patricia

See Patricia's post above.  Your evocative description mad eme want to post this:

f63096aap9e.jpg

Cool  ;)

Yes. That's the cover, so you see why I was intrigued. Minimal liner notes. No real description of what I was in for, but that cover..............very nice.

Thank you Leeway. I was hard-pressed on how to catagorize this record. It's not pop. It's not jazz. It's not smooth jazz. What do you think??? I'm assuming that you have listened to it.

Edited by patricia

Aha - The Marte Roling cover.. Thanks John, I'm looking forward to this one ! Just love those 60s Fontanas. I've got the Ted Curson and Dollar Brand somewhere in the racks.

Marte Roling used a photo of Marion Brown that I took. The photo was published in Jazz Hot back in 1966! Wish she had acknowledged her source :excited:

:tup

George Braith: Extension

George Braith: Two Souls In One

George Braith: Soulstream (all nice originals)

Larry Young: Unity

Grant Green: I Want To Hold Your Hand (both from the Young Mosaic)

Mingus: Mingus Presents Mingus (from the Mosaic set)

Ben Webster: Soulville (Speakers Corner)

I'm at work, so I'm not spinning it now, but I recently got a copy of "Sonny Stitt and the Giants" which I've been enjoying immensely.  A patron here at the library where I work part-time gave it to me after I told him I'd gotten a record player for my birthday!  Very nice indeed!

One thing that surprises and delights me is the generosity of people when they hear of our vinyl addiction. I mentioned a while ago that a young man who works with me GAVE me a top of the line turntable when I mentioned that I collect vinyl.

I tried to pay him, but he wouldn't hear of it.

Spinning now:

"Dixieland Classics" on Jazztone.

The personel are Muggsy Spanier, Bobby Backett, Pee Wee Russell, Max Kaminsky, George Brunies, Mel Powell, Jack Teagarden, Eddie Condon, Fats Waller, Miff Mole, Bud Freeman, Jess Stacy and "others"

JAZZTONE, people. A magnificent set of releases and well-worth looking for. :wub:

Edited by patricia

Spinning now:

- Father and Sons, a gospel anthology from Spiritfeel records. With tracks by R.H. Harris and the Soul Stirrers, Archie Brownlee and The Original Five Blind Boys of Mississipi plus Julius Cheeks and The Sensational Nightingales...

next:

- Marion Brown 'Back to Paris' (Free Lance)

Spent the day listening to six Mainstream lp's that were either led by or had Charles Kynard as a sideman as i put them on cdr for someone.

The leader dates are:

Charles Kynard

Woga

Your Mama Dont Dance

The sideman dates are:

Blue Mitichell-The Last Tango= Blues

Paul Jeffrey-s/t

Soul Makoosa-Afrique This one is complete with a cover of Sleepwalk of Santo and Johnny fame.

I have to say that by listening to all six of these lp's, i have exceeded my wah wah,waka waka waka,fuzz tone guitar for 2005.

"Mulligan and Getz and Desmond"

Verve two-fer.

AND:

Art Farmer- "To Duke, With Love"

Nice lineup: Art farmer, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins.

Inner City. My experience with IC records is that they have excellent sonics.

Edited by Leeway