• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Music For Large and Small Ensembles' (ECM) 2LPs

:tup

The new suite which Kenny previewed on his UK tour is very much in the same style as the 'large ensemble' content of this set and features many of the same UK musicians in the band. Absolutely, gob-smackingly wonderful. I hope ECM record it soon. :tup

Both JohnS and I were at the Southampton show and I believe Bev saw the Manchester one.

In fact I'm just spinning 'Gentle Piece', which was a major highlight of the first half.

Edited by sidewinder

GIANTS OF MODERN JAZZ: Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker

Jazztone J-1204. With Flip Phillips, Lucky Thompson, Miles Davis, Red Novo, Milt Jackson, Teddy Wilson, Dodo Marmorosa, Al Haig, Slam Stewart, Ray Brown, J.C. Heard, Stan Levey , et al. Vibrant performances from the 1940s and even the sound is pretty good.

Can anyone provide further information about Jazztone?

And:

d12507f3mjk.jpg

Liberty pressing.

And:

Don Patterson "THE BOSS MEN"

Prestige 7466, blue label, Bergenfield address, RVG recording. With Sonny Stitt and Billy James.

GIANTS OF MODERN JAZZ:  Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker

Jazztone J-1204.  With Flip Phillips, Lucky Thompson, Miles Davis, Red Novo, Milt Jackson, Teddy Wilson, Dodo Marmorosa, Al Haig, Slam Stewart, Ray Brown, J.C. Heard, Stan Levey , et al.  Vibrant performances from the 1940s and even the sound is pretty good. 

Can anyone provide further information about Jazztone?

And:

d12507f3mjk.jpg

Liberty pressing.

And:

Don Patterson "THE BOSS MEN"

Prestige 7466, blue label, Bergenfield address, RVG recording.  With Sonny Stitt and Billy James.

Yes, Leeway, I can.

Jazztone records were an offshoot of a mail-order classical record company which existed from the early 1950s, their releases mostly high-quality compilations, much like the one you have are still to be found secondhand, and are all excellent.

Dixieland is particularly well-represented, as well as all the HUGE jazz names of the period.

When you see these heavy, distinctly labelled records at vintage shops, garage sales in old neighbourhoods and at secondhand stores, SNAP THEM UP!! They are great sounding and well worth whatever you have to pay for them. But, don't let that last sentence scare you. I have bought them for as little as $1, although I have seen them online for as much as $50, which is a little rich for my personal exchequor.

The Jazztone covers are very distinctive. They are varying colours, but they have the same skyline and vague band on the front and capsule bios of all the artists on the tracks on the back of the album. [by the way, I'm green with envy at your find. Wonderful!!!]

Sometimes there is a booklet included.

Edited by patricia

Thanks Patricia for the information. Yes, the sleeve does say "Jazztone Society," so it must have been a commercial "club." I was really pleasantly surprised by the crisp, fresh and full sound of the records, which is on fairly heavy vinyl. One gets the sense of what it must have been like at Minton's or 52nd Street from such records. I probably got the record in a box lot or in a rummage sale or something. I have to check through my stacks to see if I have any more ^_^

Thanks Patricia for the information.  Yes, the sleeve does say "Jazztone Society," so it must have been a commercial "club."  I was really pleasantly surprised by the crisp, fresh and full sound of the records, which is on fairly heavy vinyl. One gets the sense of what it must have been like at Minton's or 52nd Street from such records.  I probably got the record in a box lot or in a rummage sale or something.  I have to check through my stacks to see if I have any more  ^_^

I love Jazztone enough to give them their own section. :wub:

By all means check out the other records in your stacks and I would recommend that you do the same. They are GOLD.

On many of mine it's evident that they were true, live, one-take performances and there are lots of spontaneous exchanges between the musicians who are performing. They are possessed of a pulse, in that they have the sense of real people doing what they love and sharing it with us. They are not perfect and sterile, which is the sense that I get with current recordings. Maybe it's just me.

Edited by patricia

Listening to Zoot Sims at Ronnie Scott's back in November 1961.

The original Fontana albums 'Cookin'' and 'Solo for Zoot' were reissued in Portugal on the 'Exclusive' label.

Zoot is in top form backed by a rhythm section of Stan Tracy, Kenny Napper and Jackie Dougan!