• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What year are we talking? I dont know the album. 737's and 727's weren't around that much yet in the 60's.

no indication of that on the album or the jacket. This is on the Czech Supraphon label, SUC 15146, my guess is early 60s.

Than niether 737 or 727. Probaly either a 707 or Constelation. Or maybe a Dc-8, or Convair 880.

Sidney Bechet - BLUES IN THE AIR

RCA France, "Horizons du Jazz, No.2" 430 216. Brownie, do you have this one? I actually bought this in Paris.

And:

f41434k56ou.jpg

Randy Weston, BLUE MOSES. Thankfully, NOT-CTI'd, if you know what I mean. A really fine album.

And:

d067345bq7t.jpg

Hendrix, Band of Gypsys.

Edited by Leeway

Sidney Bechet - BLUES IN THE AIR

RCA France, "Horizons du Jazz, No.2" 430 216. Brownie, do you have this one? I actually bought this in Paris.

Leeway, I have 'Blues In The Air' (two takes) on the French RCA twofer 'The Complete Sidney Bechet', volume 3/4 (1941) from the Black/White Jazz Tribune series.

I'm happy with the sound on this. Love the music!

Dave Burns - both Vanguard lps

Wagner - Ring Cycle  (music for mad artists and dreary winter weather!)

Wasn't Wagner's music once described as moments of sublime beauty, interrupted by hours of tedium? ;) B-)

Here you have an opinion about Wagner's music:

W. ALLEN: I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland. :g

Wasn't Wagner's music once described as moments of sublime beauty, interrupted by hours of tedium? ;) B-)

W. ALLEN: I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland. :g

magic helmet!

(turn up your sound ;) )

magic helmet!

(turn up your sound ;) )

:g:g:g

Gotta get me one of those magic helmets!

Feeling traditional this morning, so I'm listening to the 2 record mono set on RCA, "Glenn Miller - A Memorial 1944-1969.

It's easy to see why Miller's music not only lives on, but is evolving, as jazz does, thanks to younger players who continually revive and give a modern polish to it.

The cover notes were written by Benny Goodman and he gives us a capsule biography of both the man and his contribution to jazz.

Very nice.

Edited by patricia

Brownie, you're right, of course, that Bechet album has some terrific playing on it. "Sleepy Time Down South" knocked me out. This RCA issue has a nice photo of Bechet on the cover, and is on nice, thick vinyl, with excellent sound.

Spinning:

c032271q0t1.jpg

Getz with Almeida, on Verve.

And:

Ella Fitzgerald- SINGS JEROME KERN - Verve

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - LIVE!

Everest Records FS332, recorded live at Slug's in New York City in August 1968.

Bill Hardman-tpt; Billy Harper-tsx; Julian Priester-tbn; Ronnie Mathews-p; Larry Evans-b

Michael Fitzgerald's excellent discog site shows this band toured in 1968 and performed twice at Slug's, and this August performance was issued (originally I would assume) as Trip 5034 (the Everest issue doesn't appear).

Recording quality about adequate. This was a pretty powerful lineup (although Priester doesn't really register, perhaps a result of the recording mix), and it is interesting to hear them in live performance. Harper turns in a nice lyrical performance on "Angel Eyes," the rest is the hardest of hard bop. Blakey plays like a force of nature and drives the band.

Edited by Leeway

BLUE NOTE CONTEMPORARY SAMPLER

Various Artists. Donald Byrd, Bobby Hutcherson, Bobbi Humphrey, Gene Harris, Carmen McRae, Eddie Henderson, John Lee and Gerry Brown (who were they?), Horace Silver, Alphonse Mouzon.

They could have / should have called this one "Funk 'N Synth" B-)

And:

Max Roach and Clifford Brown - DAAHOUD

Mainstream Records, 386, mono

Edited by Leeway