• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you get this Longhair you get much of his early classics from the early 50's. For his later recordings "House Party New Orleans Style" is another winner.

Just bought this one, which I recall hearing and really liking. At £3.75 (used) I don't think I can go wrong:

51AXTT8rneL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you get this Longhair you get much of his early classics from the early 50's. For his later recordings "House Party New Orleans Style" is another winner.

Can't help throwing in my two cents, since I'm a big Longhair fan. If I was going to have one Fess CD, I'd get the Atlantic collection. If I was going to add a second CD, it would be Crawfish Fiesta, his last album. Great selection of tunes, with the best-ever version of "Big Chief," and a great New Orleans band, with Mac Rebennack on guitar, Tony Dagradi on tenor sax, and Johnny Vidacovich, one the of the greatest of all Crescent City drummers.

I like House Party NO Style, too, but those are my two desert island Fess albums.

Edited by jeffcrom

If I had to pick one Longhair recording, it would be the Atlantic - no contest.

As for later recordings, I like Rock 'n' Roll Gumbo (Dancing Cat) - a rare case where an original recording - an Lp on the Blue Star label? (memory fails me) - was improved by remixing and adding horns. And there are other good ones.

Also, check out his Mercury sides - available in a few places. Not as good as the Atlantics, imo, but well worth hearing.