Jimmy Raney

Jim R

Gee, I had never heard Jimmy Raney believe it or not. Just have and I think Grant Green ought to give Jimmy a hundred dollar bill for all Jimmy's style Grant coped. Jimmy's awesome and since Grant is my fav., to here Jimmy now is a big treat and eye-opener. For those who say whites have no contribution to jazz, they should have asked Grant about Jimmy Raney.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to listen to this double CD of Jimmy Raney at Bradley's in 1974.

Due out very soon from Gambit:

raney_jimmy_jimmyrane_103b.jpg

From the Absolute Distribution site:

An extended previously unissued live performance by one of the true masters of jazz guitar. Two hours of never heard solos by Jimmy Raney recorded in the year of his musical comeback.

Personnel: Jimmy Raney (g) & Bill Takas (b)…plus Eric Diehl (g) (on CD 1, #6-7 & CD 2, #3-5 only).

Tracklisting:

CD 1:

1. I Remember You

2. Dancing On The Ceiling

3. How About You

4. I Love You

5. It Could Happen To You

6. Like Someone In Love

7. Indiana/Donna Lee

8. Days Of Wine And Roses.

Total Time:70:28 mins.

CD 2:

1. Darn That Dream

2. Billie's Bounce

3. I Remember You (Version #2)

4. Body and Soul

5. Indiana/Donna Lee (Version #2)

6. Out Of Nowhere

7. On Green Dolphin Street

8 Motion 7:24

Total Time: 70:02 mins.

Recorded: CD 1, #1-7: Live at Bradley's, New York, December 17, 1974. CD 1, #8 & CD 2: December 18, 1974.

From 1967 to 1974, the great guitarist Jimmy Raney (1927-1995) went into semi-retirement in Louisville, and didn't make a single trip to the recording studios. Whether this was due to personal problems (like his growing alcohol addiction) or to the lack of interest by the major recording companies, his discography presents a notable gap of almost ten years, which is only represented by a couple of live recordings.

Recorded with amateur equipment on December 17 & 18, 1974 at New York's famous Bradley's club, the concerts on this CD occurred just after Raney's comeback. Like many other great jazzmen, Jimmy Raney had a unique musical sound, which encompassed both modern and traditional styles.

Considering that this is an amateur recording made at a crowded club, the sound quality here is obviously not up to Gambit's usual standards. However, we felt that the musical and historical importance of these performances more than compensated for any deficiencies on the original masters.

All tracks previously unissued!

Gee, I had never heard Jimmy Raney believe it or not. Just have and I think Grant Green ought to give Jimmy a hundred dollar bill for all Jimmy's style Grant coped. Jimmy's awesome and since Grant is my fav., to here Jimmy now is a big treat and eye-opener. For those who say whites have no contribution to jazz, they should have asked Grant about Jimmy Raney.

I wouldn't say that there was really much direct copying of Raney in Grant's playing, just the general approach of playing the guitar like a horn (not often playing chords except when comping). To me, the only guitarist that really sounds much like Jimmy (even including his direct descendants who were contemporaries, such as Rene Thomas) is his son, Doug. At any rate, I don't think it's widely known outside jazz guitar circles, but Grant did specifically acknowledge Raney as an important influence on his playing.

brownie, thanks for the heads up. That looks intriguing. I wonder if that's a typo in the personnel: "Eric" Diehl? I would have thought Eddie...

there is a memorable Barry Harris quote to the effect that Raney's playing at times was on the level of Bird's -

I always remember that Al Haig told me Raney was a complete nut, which was interesting coming from Al (sort of the pot calling the kettle...) - on the other hand this was confirmed by some other accounts I heard - which is why he became quite reclusive in those last years -

Saw Jim Hall and Dave Holland last night and they played a lovely tune that Hall said he'd written for a Jimmy Raney record featuring Zoot Sims and Osie Johnson. Would that be "Two Jims and a Zoot"?

That tune almost certainly was "All Across The City," later recorded by Hall with Bill Evans I believe and probably elsewhere. "Two Jims and a Zoot" (A&R man Teddy Charles) is good one -- top-notch Raney and some fine work from the young Steve Swallow.

Saw Jim Hall and Dave Holland last night and they played a lovely tune that Hall said he'd written for a Jimmy Raney record featuring Zoot Sims and Osie Johnson. Would that be "Two Jims and a Zoot"?

That tune almost certainly was "All Across The City," later recorded by Hall with Bill Evans I believe and probably elsewhere. "Two Jims and a Zoot" (A&R man Teddy Charles) is good one -- top-notch Raney and some fine work from the young Steve Swallow.

Pretty sure that was it. Thanks.

B00008WI9A.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I wouldn't say that there was really much direct copying of Raney in Grant's playing, just the general approach of playing the guitar like a horn (not often playing chords except when comping). To me, the only guitarist that really sounds much like Jimmy (even including his direct descendants who were contemporaries, such as Rene Thomas) is his son, Doug. At any rate, I don't think it's widely known outside jazz guitar circles, but Grant did specifically acknowledge Raney as an important influence on his playing.

brownie, thanks for the heads up. That looks intriguing. I wonder if that's a typo in the personnel: "Eric" Diehl? I would have thought Eddie...

I always thought the guitar player that was most influenced by Jimmy Raney was Jimmy Gourley. Gourley spent most of his career in Paris, but can be heard on quite a few recordings.

I had a strange experience listening to Jimmy Raney live late in his life. It was at a weekend jazz party in Harrisburg,PA The lineup was fantastic with players such as Jackie McLean, Ira Sullivan, Barry Harris, Arthur Taylor, George Mraz, Jay McShann, Shirley Horn, and quite a few others.

Raney was very very hard of hearing at that point, so when he played with various other musicians over the weekend, his playing seemed to almost always be a bit "off" from what the other musicians were playing.

It was clear that he wasn't hearing the other players properly which caused him to play in such an "off' manner.

I had a strange experience listening to Jimmy Raney live late in his life. It was at a weekend jazz party in Harrisburg,PA The lineup was fantastic with players such as Jackie McLean, Ira Sullivan, Barry Harris, Arthur Taylor, George Mraz, Jay McShann, Shirley Horn, and quite a few others.

Raney was very very hard of hearing at that point, so when he played with various other musicians over the weekend, his playing seemed to almost always be a bit "off" from what the other musicians were playing.

It was clear that he wasn't hearing the other players properly which caused him to play in such an "off' manner.

Is it possible to attach a year for this event?

I always thought the guitar player that was most influenced by Jimmy Raney was Jimmy Gourley. Gourley spent most of his career in Paris, but can be heard on quite a few recordings.

I'm not sure how we would go about determining exactly who was most influenced, but in terms of the way the influence comes out in their playing, I'll say this- although Gourley was most certainly influenced to a great degree by Raney, I think style-wise, Rene Thomas sounds a lot closer to Raney. Gourley has a different attack/sound and control of the instrument, which I've always thought of as somewhat sloppier. Personally, I love Thomas, and really don't care much for Gourley.

I'm not sure how we would go about determining exactly who was most influenced, but in terms of the way the influence comes out in their playing, I'll say this- although Gourley was most certainly influenced to a great degree by Raney, I think style-wise, Rene Thomas sounds a lot closer to Raney. Gourley has a different attack/sound and control of the instrument, which I've always thought of as somewhat sloppier. Personally, I love Thomas, and really don't care much for Gourley.

Love Raney, Thomas and Gourley. Gourley is vastly underrated, probably because he stays out of the United States...

Thomas.jpg

Raney watching Gourley having fun sitting on Thomas' lap. Dreamy eyed young man standing behind Raney is Sacha Distel. 1954 photo taken in Paris by Jean-Pierre Leloir.

Gourley has a very fine quartet disc with Barney Wilen, I think that's the best playing I heard of him!

DoubleAction.jpg

Jimmy Gourley & Barney Wilen / Double Action (Elabeth ELA621032)

Jimmy Gourley(g), Barney Wilen(sax), Dominique Lemerle(b), Philippe Combelle(dr)

'87/12/23 Theatre Jean-Marie Serraut, Paris

GOODBYE ; BLUES FOR GENE ; FOUR ON SIX ; SUMERTIME ; C.T.A. ; DENZIL'S BEST ; EMBRACEABLE YOU ; BODY AND SOUL ; TAFIRA ALTA ; AUTUMN LEAVES ; BLUE LESTER

But then he's fine on Eddy Louiss' entry in the Jazz in Paris series:

B000051TKS.08._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Is it possible to attach a year for this event?

Chuck,

I really can't recall the year. I attended this event with John Norris of Sackville Records. Perhaps he will be able to recall the year?

I just read on a website that Jimmy Raney suffered from Minieres Disease which eventually led to complete deafness in both ears.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...