The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

What did you get for your extra set?? :rolleyes:

I wish I had an extra set. I wish I had gotten one of them. Their site was down when I tried to order the 69 fillmore set on a Friday, and the next Monday, they were sold out. Man, was I steamed. I still don't know why they insisted upon making it limited. Seems to go against what the band is about. I bet it would have sold out at 20,000, even.

It was simply a bad guesstimate on their part. No Dick's Pick had sold 10,000, and they thought along the lines that this was a very expensive Dick's Pick, so they honestly believed 10,000 would be more than plenty. They just didn't see the demand at all.

And now they're stuck to their word as far as it being limited, at least for awhile. I'm guessing at some point either through a download, or perhaps if something like Blu-ray becomes the more common physical format (if such a thing exists) that they'll reissue it. I own a Bob Marley Songs of Freedom boxset that is limited (#4038) in a long box that was remastered & reissued in a smaller package.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I had an extra set. I wish I had gotten one of them. Their site was down when I tried to order the 69 fillmore set on a Friday, and the next Monday, they were sold out. Man, was I steamed. I still don't know why they insisted upon making it limited. Seems to go against what the band is about. I bet it would have sold out at 20,000, even.

It was simply a bad guesstimate on their part. No Dick's Pick had sold 10,000, and they thought along the lines that this was a very expensive Dick's Pick, so they honestly believed 10,000 would be more than plenty. They just didn't see the demand at all.

And now they're stuck to their word as far as it being limited, at least for awhile. I'm guessing at some point either through a download, or perhaps if something like Blu-ray becomes the more common physical format (if such a thing exists) that they'll reissue it. I own a Bob Marley Songs of Freedom boxset that is limited (#4038) in a long box that was remastered & reissued in a smaller package.

I hear the last few Dicks Picks didn't sell at all, considering the quality of those picks 31, 32 I am not sure if the guesstimate was off or not. I am not sure at the time of the availability of lossless SBDs for those shows. Winterland is pretty well circulated so it will be interesting to see how it does. There seems to be a lot of heads who think every show should be free.

I hear the last few Dicks Picks didn't sell at all, considering the quality of those picks 31, 32 I am not sure if the guesstimate was off or not. I am not sure at the time of the availability of lossless SBDs for those shows. Winterland is pretty well circulated so it will be interesting to see how it does. There seems to be a lot of heads who think every show should be free.

I am willing to pay, for sure. Why are they hell-bent on keeping it a limited edition? How about a clearly marked second edition?

The antipathy towards Rhino over the shutting down of Speeding Arrow won't help sales much either. I imagine that most people who purchase the set already have the soundboards. So $100 is $100. For me, it is a no brainer. I have the SBs, but I'm still buying.

isn't Donna all over this set? I don't know, $100 with the risk of hearing her even utter one note is too much for me

Then hunt down disc 3 of 11-11-73, or whatever has Dark Star>Mind Left Body Jam>Eyes>China Doll. If you love the Dead you have to hear it. You've helped me Crimson so I'm trying to return the favor. :)

isn't Donna all over this set? I don't know, $100 with the risk of hearing her even utter one note is too much for me

A-fucking-men to that. She is possessed of one of the worst voices I've ever heard. The only way her presence in the band could possibly be rationalized is if she came as part of a package deal. If they wanted Keith, they had to take Donna.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Hey, bringing Donna into the band was a pretty good idea in theory.

They were always looking to tighten up the high harmonies. Wasn't practical to have Phil singing them, assigning the highest part to the guy with the deepest voice.

But Donna wasn't comfortable on the higher parts either -- her voice wasn't really much higher than Garcia's. Factor in lots of cocaine and allow for some crazy personal circumstances ... and there ya go.

Hey, later on Brent's voice got pretty burnt out on those higher parts too.

Casting voices was not Garcia's forte. Listen to the out-of-tune backup singers in the latter-day Jerry Garcia Band. Just about as bad as 1970s Donna.

I don't like her either- but I can't imagine her wailing....I mean singing.... that much- other than the bridge for Playin' and a few versus here and there. I still don't understand what she contributed to the Dead.

I did a very light spot check where she usually sings, so by no means is this a full review. She was very pregnant at the time, around 8 months I believe. Interestingly I don't hear her at all on the "Looks Like Rain" from the 1st set on 11-10. Even Donna haters usually don't mind her there, but she isn't there. She does do her screams in "Playin'," but I'd give 'em about a 7 on the Donna scale (with 10 having the most "gusto.") I also didn't hear her on the 11-11 "Bertha" (2nd song), though again she shows up later in the set. Because of her condition she may have sat out the first 10-20 minutes, but again I didn't check every song. She's not intrusive on the 11-11 Eyes, and if anything it's easier to hear Bob & Jerry being off key on some of the songs.

She's not on the bonus disc at all as by then (12-04) she was on maternity leave.

Important info for the intolerant of Donna.

11-25 was her last show on the '73 tour as she didn't make the East Coast swing. Therefore you are in the clear with Dick's Pick 14 (juicy parts of 11-30-73 & 12-2-73) and DP 1 (also incomplete, 12-19-73). DP 14 is a favorite because it has 2 Dews, 2 WRS, & 2 Playings. A Dew to open on 11-30, a Dew as an encore on 12-2. That's making a statement!

Of other maternity leave shows that haven't been officially released, 12-6 Cleveland has a dinorsaurific Dark Star>Eyes>Stella. The other Florida show (12-18) has a WRS>Dark Star>Eyes>Wharf Rat that is mighty nice. But it's '73, so it's hard to go wrong with any of it. ;)

Donna may be there, but I sure wouldn't want to ignore 11-11, the 2nd set from 11-14 with the Other One that keeps coming back, the Playin' sandwich of 11-17, and the 2 Denver shows. And the other November shows aren't bad either. :)

Hmmm. . . . I'm weird. i like Donna and can take most of her singing.

Me too. I think we all went through this last year, maybe the year before too as it's something that comes up all the time. The song where she really bugs me is "Scarlet," though more on the '74 ones than '77. But I love what she does on "Music Never Stopped" and "Weather Report." "Looks Like Rain" I tend to skip, but I think it's weird without her. As for her "Playing" screams, just join her! :)

Hey, bringing Donna into the band was a pretty good idea in theory.

They were always looking to tighten up the high harmonies. Wasn't practical to have Phil singing them, assigning the highest part to the guy with the deepest voice.

But Donna wasn't comfortable on the higher parts either -- her voice wasn't really much higher than Garcia's. Factor in lots of cocaine and allow for some crazy personal circumstances ... and there ya go.

Hey, later on Brent's voice got pretty burnt out on those higher parts too.

Casting voices was not Garcia's forte. Listen to the out-of-tune backup singers in the latter-day Jerry Garcia Band. Just about as bad as 1970s Donna.

To her credit she was much better post 74 after the wall the sound when she could actually hear her self and other vocalists in the monitors. You try singing harmony with one monitor vs a bass player and two guitarists with 80 amps on the back wall.

If you haven't heard it already you should check out the rehearsal tape of Attics from 1976. She sounds great on it. They were attempting to bring it back into the rotation but for some unknown reason decided against it. Alas.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I thought that Donna sounded pretty good when she sang with the Jerry Garcia Band. In general, I think that she usually sounds fine when she is singing in "soft mode" within her range. Her parts with the Dead that exceeded this range and included shrieks would have been best left out (IMO). On the other hand, I am so used to them now that they no longer bother me that much.

I have the same gripes about Bobby, in fact.

I have the same gripes about Bobby, in fact.

Yep, and as well his "hee haw giddy up" cowboy mannerisms on the western stuff really grates sometimes.

...not to mention his hipper-than-Shaft-in-Africa approach to singing blues and R&B. :lol:

Edited by John L

It's here........... :party:

November 9 thru 11 1973 boxset for $100

Includes bonus disc of some of 12/4/73.

Damn, it is not limited to 10,000.

I was gonna buy two, wait til it goes out of print, and then trade it to some sucker that missed out. [Like me, on that darned 69 Fillmore set.] :ph34r:

I ordered 3 so that I can trade two plus my OJ rookie card for that '69 set. :ph34r:

$100 for a 9-cd box and yet they start in with the 'Greedy Bastards' talk. :blink:

Greedy Bastards

On March 17th, 2008 Will said:

$100 for three shows? A Benjamin for only 9 cd's? Are you kidding me?

The Dick's Picks series was attractively priced, but this is not. I guess too much money had to pass through too many hands to work out the Rhino leasing deal, and now it's the fans who end up paying for it. I have purchased every last scrap of officially released Grateful Dead material that there is, but no more. This is a sad day for me.

P.S. Phish releases their complete shows at 40% less than this (and I'm talking about remastered cd's, not downloads.) Go ahead and make a joke about Phish's music, rich 70's heads, but I'm not laughing.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

P.S. Phish releases their complete shows at 40% less than this (and I'm talking about remastered cd's, not downloads.) Go ahead and make a joke about Phish's music, rich 70's heads, but I'm not laughing.

OK, I might not be too rich, but I do qualify as a genuine 70s head. Let's do a thought experiment. How many people here would trade their Grateful Dead collections for Phish music at the rate of 1 Dead show - 1.4 Phish shows? :crazy:

OK, I might not be too rich, but I do qualify as a genuine 70s head. Let's do a thought experiment. How many people here would trade their Grateful Dead collections for Phish music at the rate of 1 Dead show - 1.4 Phish shows? :crazy:

Don't you mean Fish?