Jemeel Moondoc Corner

John B

I've been relistening to all of my Jemeel Moondoc discs recently and have been very impressed by what a solid body of work it is. There are some rough edges and lack of polish here and there but, overall, he has had quite a run since Eremite started recording and releasing his projects in the mid-90's.

I've heard a rumor that Eremite will be releasing a box set of his Ensemble Muntu recordings from the 1970's, which would be very nice to see, as there is quite a gap in his history prior to 1996. I've heard Judy's Bounce, with Fred Hopkins and Ed Blackwell, which was recorded live in 1981 and released on Soul Note as well as We Don't, which is a duet with Denis Charles that was also recorded in 1981 but sat in "the vaults" until 2003, when Eremite released it. I know I need to hear Nostalgia in Times Square, and will rectify that one of these days.

Any other fans of his around here?

• 9 years later...

Not much action here, alas ... the 3CD box on NoBusiness is a great document, though I can't really say I'm hooked by all I've heard of Moondoc's work (but then I don't have all the essentials yet, I think).

Anyway bumping this for his current kickstarter project:

The 'ZOO KEEPER'S HOUSE' will be a series of compositions by JEMEEL MOONDOC performed/recorded in a variety of group settings: a duo with bass and alto Sax, trio with bass, drums and alto sax, a quartet with bass, drums, soprano sax and trumpet. a quartet with bass, drums, alto sax and piano. a quintet with bass, drums trombone, trumpet and alto sax and a sextet with the traditional jazz rhythm section with trombone, trumpet and alto sax. The 'ZOO KEEPER'S HOUSE' will include compositions of the blues. ballads and the up-tempo post be-bop avant-garde jazz that JEMEEL MOONDOC has become known for; 'THE ZOO KEEPER'S HOUSE' will invoke feelings and emotions that one could only imagine feeling, as we walk through the 'ZOO KEEPER'S HOUSE' filled and encrusted with the ageless but modern existence of mankind.

Musicians slated to perform on 'The Zoo Keeper's House': Jemeel Moondoc - Sax, Roy Campbell Jr. - trumpet, Steve Swell - trombone, Hill Green - bass, Newman Taylor Baker - drums, Matt Shipp - Piano.

Cover Art: Ronnie Phillips.

Produsers: Kevin Reilly, Mike Picano, Jemeel Moondoc.

Sounds good to me - I'm in! A week is left to mull it over ...

The link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1769859387/the-zoo-keepers-house-a-new-cd-from-jemeel-moondoc