JRVG Re-Releases

grey

I received some advance copies of the JRVG re-releases (TOCJ 9001-9029). The OBI is different than the original blue and yellow or the second pressing red and blue. It is blue and red strips on the front but the back is exactly the same as the original release OBI including the original release date of 98-7-23. The disc is not a reprint of the original release but is a repressing of the second pressing with the Swing Journal Award imprint. The paper enclosure is a reprint of the original enclosure. In conclusion, some of the elements of the first pressing, some of the second pressing and a partially new OBI. Apparently, they have not decided to repress any more beyond TOCJ 9029.

Grey, you're pretty busy posting on your first day here :D Great to see you!

One of my Japanese sources told me Toshiba would be reissuing 100 JRVGs over the next few months, but I understand from your post that they decided not to do so. Apparently the bad economic situation in Japan is hitting them hard...

Edited by J.A.W.

One of my Japanese sources told me Toshiba would be reissuing 100 JRVGs over the next few months, but I understand from your post that they decided not to do so.

They will still release the 100 "new" JRVG titles over the next 10 months. However, as of last week, they had not decided to re-release any titles from the original JRVG series after TOCJ 9029.

One of my Japanese sources told me Toshiba would be reissuing 100 JRVGs over the next few months, but I understand from your post that they decided not to do so.

They will still release the 100 "new" JRVG titles over the next 10 months. However, as of last week, they had not decided to re-release any titles from the original JRVG series after TOCJ 9029.

Got it! :)

Apparently the bad economic situation in Japan is hitting them hard...

Yes, you're not kidding...they're even cutting costs by reducing the OBI !! ;) I just received "Blue Train" in the mail and as Grey mentioned, the strip is indeed red/blue -- but it is also only 3/4 inches wide on the front and then the standard 1 1/8 in. on the back. Actually, they should have reversed it and narrowed the OBI on the backside so that you can leave the shrink on and still read the liner notes. Oh well....that's enough JRVG geek facts for the day. :wacko:

Oh well....that's enough JRVG geek facts for the day. 

Just one more JRVG Geek Fact for the day:

Did you know that there were 2 JRVG titles that were only available as part of a contest but that when not enough people won the contest they sold off the remainders?

Were they part of that "The Blue Note Years" mini-lp series with the black/blue strips (Mobley, McLean, 3 Sounds, etc..)??

See, there are always new JRVG Geek Facts.

Do I have you and Lon stumped?

I am amazed--JRVG aficionados like yourselves!

No, they are not 'Blue Note Years' compilations but distinct Blue Note 1960s albums.

They do not have TOCJ #s.

Has to be the Rivers/Donaldson JRVGs, though I only ever saw one copy of each for sale while I lived in Tokyo, and they were not sealed. They were also for sale for 4000 yen each. Then again, these didn't come with OBIs or inner liners, so I can't really be sure if they were in fact 'used'.

Regarding the fact that there is only a reprint of the first 20 or so JRVGs, you have to remember that while there are a lot of jazz fans in Japan, a large number of the original 250 JRVGs are still sitting on store shelves there, as either new or used stock. With another hundred JRVGs set to come out over the next year, I can't imagine how a lot of the stores I used to frequent would have made shelf space for 350 JRVGs released during the same period.

Edited by wulfman

Well where's the Trompeta Toccatta sitting Wulf?.....where's the Trompeta Toccata ?

Please do tell. :g

Is "Trompeta Toccata" a hard one to find? I have that one. It does sound nice. In fact, I kept the JRVG over the TOCJ and the US versions, which doesn't happen often as I generally prefer the sound of the TOCJ discs.

I believe that the Donaldson and Rivers discs are the correct answer. They are supposed to be rare but nowhere near as rare as "Blue Cuscuna", a CD issued in extremely limited quantities (under 200 or so) and given away as prizes. I'd love to get a copy of that!:)

Later,

Kevin

And our winner is Late with the first correct answer to our JRVG Geek Facts Quiz.

Very Rare JRVGs:

Lou Donaldson-Lush Life-BCD 0053

Sam Rivers-Dimensions And Extensions-BCD 0054

Note that they do not have TOCJ #s.

They were issued in 2000.

Not on this list, but you can definitely fill any deep holes left in your Jimmy Smith collection.

Right, the continued availability of the Jimmy Smith JRVGs is another reason (imo) that they should hold off on releasing additional ones. Instead of dropping another eight Smith JRVGs on us (out of 100 total) over the next year I wish that they were putting out stuff like "Here to Stay", "Poppin'" and "Curtain Call".