What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enjoy. Ari is one of my favorites and Earma is a gem as well.

Thank you, we're really looking forward to this! Hoping for a nice turnout in order to set a precedent for future funding requests--there's so much talent in Chicago, it makes a lot of sense to try and spread the wealth a little downstate :D

Came back from watching the David Binney quartet who made a 13 hours trip from to Texas to Montreal to be with us. Very fine show with one of my favourite pianist Craig Taborn who got a huge roar from the crowd when he was introduced at the start of the show, the quartet was completed by Thomas Morgan on bass and Don Weiss on drums and tabla.

Came back from watching the David Binney quartet who made a 13 hours trip from to Texas to Montreal to be with us. Very fine show with one of my favourite pianist Craig Taborn who got a huge roar from the crowd when he was introduced at the start of the show, the quartet was completed by Thomas Morgan on bass and Don Weiss on drums and tabla.

I mst correct you that the drummer is the very fine DAN Weiss.

April 17 also : Abdullah Ibrahim Trio near Paris... Can I reasonably consider to attend this concert.... ?

I saw Ibrahim at that same club Weston will play several years ago with his trio... he was kind of tired, but I guess that just can happen if someone his age is on tour... still was nice! And late last year I saw him solo in a large church, and he played two and a half hourse instead of the scheduled 75 minutes... magisterial!

Too bad I can't make it ...

Is it a Solo concert with Weston or a trio as scheduled on his website ? I saw the trio (with Blake & Clarke) twice last year. In Marciac in late summer where I did not completely appreciate the show (maybe the noise, the chapiteau, my AB42 seat, whatever...). However, the gig in Glasgow earlier in the summer was short but splendid. Only a hundred of people in the audience (??!!), a beautiful place (An old fruitmarket), at the first table 5 meters from the stage with a pint of ale enjoying 'Well you needn't' and his classic compositions :cool:

I saw Vijay Iyer and his trio on Sunday. A free concert at the Flushing Library in Queens. Great concert. I'm a new fan of Vijay Iyer now. He's got a great yong drummer with him, Justin Brown -- look out for Justin!

I saw Vijay Iyer and his trio on Sunday. A free concert at the Flushing Library in Queens. Great concert. I'm a new fan of Vijay Iyer now. He's got a great yong drummer with him, Justin Brown -- look out for Justin!

It was a live concert that convinced me to check out all I could of Iyer's work.

Guest Bill Barton

The Andrew D'Angelo Benefit Concert at Chapel Performance Space with Cuong Vu, Bill Frisell, Wayne Horvitz, Eyvind Kang, Robin Holcomb, et al.

Edited by Bill Barton

Too bad I can't make it ...

Is it a Solo concert with Weston or a trio as scheduled on his website ? I saw the trio (with Blake & Clarke) twice last year. In Marciac in late summer where I did not completely appreciate the show (maybe the noise, the chapiteau, my AB42 seat, whatever...). However, the gig in Glasgow earlier in the summer was short but splendid. Only a hundred of people in the audience (??!!), a beautiful place (An old fruitmarket), at the first table 5 meters from the stage with a pint of ale enjoying 'Well you needn't' and his classic compositions :cool:

Solo - and that club he's playing usually is reliable with their information. The night after he's scheduled to play solo in Basel as well, so I guess he's on a small solo tour, I didn't check his website, though.

Guest Bill Barton

Just back from Paul Rucker's solo cello concert to benefit The Innocence Project... This was a beautiful set from a remarkable player. By all means, if you get a chance to hear Paul in performance, go!

Paul Rucker on Google

Oil

History of an Apology

Coming up tomorrow afternoon:

Seeds of Compassion, Heartbeat of Humanity, with His Holiness the Dalai Lama and including music from Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 3.

Seeds of Compassion

Went and saw Phil Cohran at the Velvet Lounge last night. It alternated between beautiful and bizarre, with the scales being tipped in favor of the latter on this occasion. We were treated to some classic Cohran rants as well.

I was at the same show but didn't see Dan :mellow: . I thought the show was fun in a strange way but had a good time. Phil's a nice guy and fun to watch!

I was late getting there; I had just left the "triumph of trumpets" at the Harris Theater featuring the Chicago Jazz Ensemble with Jon Faddis along with Terel Stafford, Randy Brecker, Lew Soloff and Tom Harrell. Fun show as all the five previously mentioned players as well as the other CJE horns and Orbert Davis (pulled from the audience) played the finale....fun show.

m~

Went and saw The Greyboy Allstars last night (Karl Denson, Robert Walter, etc) and they were SLAMMIN'!!! What a killer show. The club was packed, everyone was dancing and the band kept getting hotter and hotter as the night went on.

They played mostly originals but there were some cool covers...especially Suzy by Kenny Burrell (from Tender Gender) and Lady Day & John Coltrane (Gil Scott-Heron).

Karl split time fairly evenly between flute, tenor & alto...he also broke out the Varitone on a few songs which was cool.

Robert Walter's keyboard setup was an organ (don't know what kind, one of those touring models built into a case) a Hohner Clavinet and a Fender Rhodes. He has really developed over the years and has turned into a monster player.

If you get a chance to see these guys don't hesitate!

Last evening's gig at the Portsmouth (UK) Jazz Society was by the Alan Barnes/Bruce Adams Quintet. John Pearce wsa the pianist, Paul Morgan, bass and Bobby Worth drums. All top class Brit players. Standards apart compositions ranged from Bigard through to Blue Mitchell.