Where does one go to fine old radio broadcasts?

Popper Lou

I recently pick up some Dexter Gordon broadcasts on Steeple Chase. I love them. I started wondering of all the radio broadcasts done from the 1930's to present, is there a place where they reside? There is probably hundreds of thousands of great AM and FM shows. I would like to get my hand on some of them. It seems to be just a handful that have made it to disc. I live now in NY. Would anyone know if the museum of TV and radio would house them?

Edited by Popper Lou

I've often fantasized about the ability in the near future to go out into space and harvest these signals somehow of those early thirties nightclub broadcasts by Ellington et al. . . . Some research I've made seems to indicate that could happen; some seems to indicate it couldn't. Either way a better expenditure of money than other "star wars" type space travel schemes.

That idea of old broadcasts lingering in space somewhere is great. Has anyone used that in a science fiction story? I think it has a lot of potential. Or maybe one of those forensic investigation kind of things.

Mike

Not exactly what you had in mind, but didn't the aliens in Galaxy Quest - that Tim Allen space sci-fi comedy movie base their rebellion angainst their oppressors around intercepted signals of the Galaxy Quest series?

I swear this is true: Back when I was kid my dad had one of those ancient tube radios that only got AM... huge, massive thing with big knobs and a gigantic tuning dial.

Anyway, I used to fire it up without his permission (it was in my parents' bedroom) and I swear, the only music that would come out of it was old big band swing stuff. Here I was, 8 or 9 years old, looking for some rock n' roll, and all this thing would play, no matter where the dial was, was swing.

I thought it was haunted.