2005 Jazz Grammy Award Winners

cannonball-addict

I have not watched TV in over 5 years. Just thinking about doing so, makes me puke. What is tolerated or considered acceptable is insulting. Give me a break on these made for TV award shows and the lack of taste and art they pander to.

Edited by wolff

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not watched TV in over 5 years. Just thinking about doing so, makes me puke. What is tolerated or considered acceptable is insulting. Give me a break on these made for TV award shows and the lack of taste and art they pander to.

Well if you haven't seen the show how can you comment on what was tasteless or not? :rolleyes:

On the crap side....that horrible faux-gospel bs with K. West and poor Mavis Staples. Bad taste central....especially the part where the poor Blind Boys have to stand next to a damn casket.... uggggg.

U2...please go away. You're irrelevant and booring (and your hit song "Vertigo" is just a blatant ripoff of The Supremes "You Keep Me Hangin' On." Hasn't ANYbody else in the world noticed this but me. Copyright infringement o'plenty.)

This and the shows of years past. Glad you enjoyed it.

I think Alicia Keys has a good voice and can sing very well but her vocal histrionics starts to bug me. That is what most everyone in American Idol does. If she does that in her own songs, that is one thing but on Beatles' 'Across the Universe' that they all sang for Tsunami Relief, she launched into such vocal gymnastics which was a bit jarring...

I didn't see that performance. And yes, I don't dig all the warbling myself. That said, it's the way people sing today, and of all the people out there Alicia could do less. She has a nice pure voice when she chooses to lose all the bs. Plus she's fine and can play.

I actually dug Alicia's take on "Universe." Thought it was fresh and surprisingly soulful for that song. Oddly, I thought Norah Jones performed poorly with that one.

Who was the red-haired dude that sounded just like Bowie?

Scott Weiland, formerly of Stone Temple Pilots, now with Velvet Revolver. Thank you for bringing up the Bowie reference... I was trying to figure out who's style he's ripped off this time. With STP it was Eddie Vedder.

They did mention Preston was there heading into or coming back from commercials, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't introduce him before that song -- just overlooked it or something. I do think the duet Ray and Bonnie did (which is the one she sang at the Grammys) was way better than the Norah Jones duet that won, but I guess that was to be expected. At least they gave a performing spot to Raitt, so that was ok.

what about melissa etheridge?

My wife said she was fighting breast cancer, and the hair loss was from chemo.

Melissa Etheridge Recovering From Cancer Surgery

Melissa Etheridge made a statement on her website Friday [sometime back in October?? - R.T.], letting her fans know that she was at home recovering from breast cancer surgery. According to Etheridge, doctors removed a tumor and a pair of lymph nodes. Melissa will be undergoing a round of chemotherapy and hopes to begin writing songs and working on a television pilot after her treatment ends. She thanked her fans for their outpouring of support, and urged them to vote in the American presidential elections on November 2nd.

Nielsen reports that the Grammys have had their lowest ratings since 1995. Viewer dropoff was 28 per cent from 2004.

Not surprising. If the music industry can't fill a couple of hours a year with anything of substance, I think they might as well pack up their Grammys and go into the hamburger business. If one didn't believe that the pop music biz has hit a sorry treadmill, all one had to see (and, aaagh! hear) was that sorry gathering of "singers" doing a Beatles song for the Tsunami victms. It was downright embarrassing, and that included Stevie Wonder.

Then, too, think about the album that was given 8 Grammys, the worst album Ray Charles ever made. What do these people stuff into their ears, one wonders. I think last night's show may have contained 5 to 10 minutes of worthwhile sounds--the rest was frightful fluff. IMHO

I actually dug Alicia's take on "Universe." Thought it was fresh and surprisingly soulful for that song. Oddly, I thought Norah Jones performed poorly with that one.

Interesting. We can make a market as they say in wall street ;) My reaction was the opposite. For that song, with the original version still in my head, the soul and R&B treatment sounded out of place. Anyway that is in the neighborhood of nitpick, they all did it for a great cause and hope they generate millions of dollars.

Edited by chandra

Some observations on the whole show:

- "The dead guy rule". If you've just kicked it, you're bound to win. That's the American way. Also, the idea of giving someone a lifetime award when they've been gone for decades amazes me.

- If you've just performed, you'll win the next category. This year: Kanye West. Last year: Beyoncé. The year before: Norah. etc.

- Boy does Quincy Jones look old. Alicia Keys on the other hand, with long and straight hair, looked fine. I just wish (like a lot of others) that she would give the embellishments and melismas a rest. Jamie Foxx sings surprisingly well. Brian Wilson seemed to be pretty "out there".

- God I loathe Jennifer Lopez even more. Her [current] hubby at least sang with a great voice, and I guess you could call it "passion". She, on the other hand, warbled nasally into her nose with a dead-flat voice that was out of key. I couldn't help but think of that episode of "South Park" where Cartman's hand became J.Lo.

- The Maples lady sounded like a truck driver after a particularly bad bender. AND badly off-key as well... Embarrassing to watch - the same goes for James Brown's performance. I was surprised though that Queen Latifah can actually sing - I think her performance was one of the highlights - this goes to tell a lot of the quality of the show. No offence.

- The "all star" tsunami tribute was quite a miserable thing - and for all the wrong reasons. Norah Jones especially seemed to have trouble getting anything proper out of her mouth.

- John Mayer...where to start. I just can't stand his voice. Is he kidding or something? He's actually thought it through and said to himself - that's how I'm going to sound like, an Adam Sandler funny voice. At least it's very personal and identifiable. And he does play guitar very well and writes kind of jazzy songs, which is always good. It was also funny when he said in his acceptance speech with a straight face that "he still doesn't think that [the song that won] should be the single release".

- Some good things: Nelly didn't win anything (I think?). Not too many rappers did, overall, which is always a good thing. Remember that Puff Daddy has won a Grammy for ripping off Sting's "Every Breath...". Just because he made it a sappy tribute to his fallen dope pusher buddy.

Both Norah and the Green day Punk Rocker Billie Joe Armstrong got to sing the following lines:

Jai guru deva om

Nothing's gonna change my world

The translation of the first line is: 'Salutations to the heavenly teacher' This coming out of a punk rocker is a coup in itself :P