Complete Bill Evans on Verve

B-) Yeah, I grabbed it last night. I had a little extra cash to play with due to a couple of extra last minute gigs, so I decided to leap. It seems they list one a day between 8-9 pm (EST), so I decided to check in and search their listings whenever a timeout was called during the UNC-VA game. The next to last timeout, I scored it. At that price, I couldn't resist. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to exploring it during 2005.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kulu Se Mama and Jim Sangrey,

Thanks to you both, I just snagged this set tonight from eBay! Damn, this is such a good price... I can't thank you enough for letting us know about it! :tup:tup:tup

Sorry Kevin, but it really does look they are consistent in putting up the set between 8-9:00 pm Eastern (I jumped on it around 6:00 pm Pacific time)... I'm sure you'll snag one tomorrow!

Wonder how much RUST is gonna be on this thing? The "stock" photo they use in their description shows a pretty decent amount of rust already!

Thanks again!!!

Cheers,

Shane

Just a heads-up to all non-US members that they don't do international shipment on this one (most sadly)  :(

Must be something to do with export restrictions on the lump of pig metal.

I believe they will ship overseas if you pay the additional price for rust coating.

Edited by alankin

I don't want to scare Pete but universal is notoriously slow in shipping and not that good at customer service. I don't find them at all reliable and I avoid their auctions now. Don't get me wrong. You'll get the item but unless they've improved, you need to keep after them.

BTW, Indestructible is right. They put them on around 845, 850 EST. And like clockwork, they're gone in a few minutes.

Edited by Brad

This has come to be a nightly event for Universal, with rostasi getting one tonight.  I may have to take a chance tomorrow.

I think they're just a bunch of teases out there at Universal.

They could just as easilly offer multiple copies in a single listing.

They wanna see us squirm!!!

rod (eh, hem...) :w

Just received mine a few minutes ago. Shipped from Uni Music's Santa Monica offices - funny, but a year or two ago they could have interofficed this to me! :D

Just gotta comment about the packaging. Even after hearing the complaints about this for years, I still gotta say, "What the fuck were they thinking!" I don't mind the outer metal box (slightly rusted, but already staining my fingers) but the way the discs are shoved inside on that metal ring thing! :blink::o:wacko: The book seems nice, but as I'm getting older it's really getting hard to read that teeny tiny type... :eye::eye::w

Well, it's been on there pretty frequently the past week. In fact the one that went last night sat around for about half an hour before rostasi bought it.

Hey, it's my own fault... the timing on these things just aren't good for me. I'll get a set one of these days. Last night was volleyball night. Tonight, I'm going to the Sahara Club in Methuen, MA to see a sextet with Bill Pierce and Mick Goodrick. The Evans box will have to wait again. It's fate, I tell ya'. :)

Has anyone E-mailed this place to see if they have a stack of them for sale? I should try that.

Later,

Kevin

I realize this is a good price, but is it still worth it? I know very little of this period of Evans, but I do have the one-disc sampler from the box, and I don't listen to it very often. The few times I did listen, it did nothing for me. Am I missing something? Is there better stuff on the box?

Well it's a great deal if you like Bill Evans, but an awful lot of Evans if you don't. ;) Out of the 18 discs, there are something like 11-12 discs of his trio, so that may be a lot more than you need. But it's obviously not something to listen to in one (or even two or three) sittings.

Last night was volleyball night.

Has anyone E-mailed this place to see if they have a stack of them for sale? I should try that.

Later,

Kevin

I played volleyball last night too!

I emailed them thru ebay, inquiring if I could buy the box set. They gave me a 'form' email reply. :rolleyes:

2/23/5 I got this email from Universal:

We appreciate your interest in our online Store. The auction item you are interested in is currently closed due to an error in the listing, but be sure to check back soon for a re-listing.

Please include the original message in all replies.

Thank you for contacting us.

Kurt

Customer Support

universalmusicstore@umusic.com

Universal Music Store

Edited by Tjazz