A hiatus from the Politics Forum

Jim Alfredson

Dan,

Naked City came here just to talk politics. He didn't post anywhere else and ever since I gave him a stern warning and closed down the sickeninly anti-semtic thread started by his buddy che (who is on a short leash), he hasn't posted at all.

This is the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid. It's just a simple feature that will relieve me of a little stress, that's all.

OK, that must have happened when I was buried in work two weeks ago and wasn't looking at Politics at all.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I'm for keeping the political forums open (though closed to non-members is fine by me, likely a very minor issue).

Heck, we all need a place outside of the music forums to make fun of GWB... :P

BTW, Weizen, great comment re: the distinction between opponents and enemies... :lol:

Dan,

Naked City came here just to talk politics.  He didn't post anywhere else and ever since I gave him a stern warning and closed down the sickeninly anti-semtic thread started by his buddy che (who is on a short leash), he hasn't posted at all.

This is the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid.  It's just a simple feature that will relieve me of a little stress, that's all.

So who's going to walk che today? I did it yesterday.

Not me.

I only had plans to stick gum in his hair when he wasn't looking.

I've exchanged some PM's with Che and I actually think he's a good guy. I don't agree with everything he says in the politics forum, but I do appreciate that he gets so riled up because he seems to really care about the underdog. The person I've got to know is kind and thoughtful. I initially contacted him because I thought he was going after Catesta as if he had some kind of vendetta. He told me this wasn't the case. I just don't think he's used to talking politics the way that we do it around here.

I hated that zionist thread last week. I hated the venom and animosity. I try as hard as I can to see the best in people and the truth is, to me, there are great people here and even if we disagree, I still respect your opinions and your right to have them.

I hope this doesn't add me to anyone's shit list (if I'm not on it already :P ), but I hate seeing the animosity. :(

Years back, toward the end of a closed door meeting of House democrats, one member floated a tactical suggestion and then wondered aloud what the "enemy" (Republicans) would have to say about it. Danny Rostenkowski quickly

piped-up and reminded those in the room that the Republicans were opponents, not enemies.....and that the enemy was the Senate. :g The problem as I see it is that there aren't enough people posting in that forum who're able to cross swords on a regular basis mindful of the fact that they're facing off against an opponent...not a sworn enemy.

The fact of the matter is, we need more dignified characters like the Red Menace in there who knows how to take a shot (or call for a quick deportation to a labor camp out near Lake Baikal) without sinking to that "you're %$#@! immoral scum" level. In fact, just to illustrate that point, perhaps this afternoon I'll start a juicy little thread about the weekend I just spent with a boatload of House, Senate & White House leadership staff and shower 'Red' with fresh details about how we'll advance various legislative balls (Social Security, judicial appointments, etc) through an increasingly sticky thicket....and allow others to witness his signature velvet fist of a response. tongueout.gif:w

I agree with RDK; great distinction between enemies and opponents. :tup

Even though we may disagree on many issues, I still appreciate the civility and friendship you show, Weizen. :tup

I've started watching newspapers.

Lots'a fun, actually.

I've been watching a pile of newspapers across the room for weeks. I'd rather watch my beard grow.

if you watch the newspapers long enough and the environment is damp, nice things are bound to happen.

Guest DizzySpells

I'd rather watch my beard grow.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Always gets me really depressed hearing stuff like that.

Let some light into your life, man.

:mellow:

Guest DizzySpells

If I let my beard grow real long, maybe things will grow in it.

After about a week you can hang it into boling water and make soup de jour, garnished with newspaper-paper-paper croutons.

tasty.jpg