Mighty Quinn Records

mikeweil

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Shit, I missed this thread!

I just got off the phone with Mosaic where I was calling to let them know that they might want to re-think their decision to do that upcoming Monk LP on 200 gram vinyl when I got to talking with a new voice. It turns out it was Jerry Roche.

He pointed me out to his website and I was floored. I was told this was happening but I had a "gag order" until it was finalized. I guess it got finalized. :)

Jerry is a really nice guy. We got talking and he talked about some other titles he's working on, including both Herb Geller dates from Jubilee on 1 Disc as well as Roy Ayers' "West Coast Vibe". It sounds like he's gonna go for most of the PJ material.

The remastering is being done by Mantis Evar, a really nice guy who I met years ago at Blue Note. I thought he was mostly doing A&R at BN but I guess he's branching out. I knew he had his own recording studio but I was unaware that he was involved in remastering too. He's a fairly young guy so I don't know if we've heard his work elsewhere. I think he'll do OK. He has a great ear for the music. I went out club hopping with him in NYC one night and we got to talking. His taste is mighty fine. Erik Truffaz even named one of his recent CDs after Mantis.

I also tried like hell to get Jerry to tap into the SACD buyer's market. I told him that if he made these SACD hybrids, he'd get sales from "weird" places... people who would buy the disc simply because it was an SACD. He's going to look into it. Maybe Sony will pony up some free time again?

Later,

Kevin

I also tried like hell to get Jerry to tap into the SACD buyer's market. I told him that if he made these SACD hybrids, he'd get sales from "weird" places... people who would buy the disc simply because it was an SACD.

Hmm, this strategy could explain why a large portion of the recent SACD releases contains obscure music by unknown artists.

http://www.sa-cd.net/recent (check the pop, jazz and instrumental titles)

Hmm, this strategy could explain why a large portion of the recent SACD releases contains obscure music by unknown artists.

http://www.sa-cd.net/recent (check the pop, jazz and instrumental titles)

The thing is Claude, all of these sales would be pure bonus. Because it would be a hybrid, all of us Jazzers, even those without an SACD player, would buy and play them. The "all-SACD" buyers would buy it and give the sales a bump. Who knows, maybe they'll even dig the music so much that Jazz gets another convert. :)

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

It sounds like the Edmond Hall is going to be on its way soon based upon this reply to an e-mail I sent--and the remastering looks to be topnotch. I'm getting really excited about this reissue program!:

JUST FINISHED LISTENING TO THE REMASTERING IN 24

BIT,IT SOUNDS GREAT.I HOPE YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR.

PEACE,

JERRY

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I realy like the Ellis, which I did not know existed, it sounds great, really contemporary in a Tzadik sort of way (???). I much prefer it to the Live at the Fillmore on Wounded Bird which I picked up the same day ,and which I had been looking forward to, all bombast and no subtlty, ones a keeper and ones going, no prizes for guessing which is which.....

• 4 weeks later...

I've ordered the Edmond Hall--I'll be interested to hear how well the "official" transfer will stand up to the one I had done (for my own listening) by a Toronto engineer who adds nothing, only takes away rare clicks or pops--my discs are in great shape for the most part.

I was given the LP by Ed in 1965 when he appeared here, and it's autographed to me personally, so I'll never give it up. It's musically great, showing Hall to be much more than a 'dixieland' clarinetist, as he's often pigeon-holed. Great band, too, with Emmet Berry, Vic Dickenson, etc.

Hall's my favourite clarinetist--the hottest ever. Okay, there'll be arguments about that, I'm sure, but I have my own taste on that horn: Lester Young, Phil Woods, Kenny Davern, Gerry Mulligan, Phil Nimmons, Irving Fazola and Herb Hall (Ed's brother) and on some days a few others...

Hall's my favourite clarinetist--the hottest ever. Okay, there'll be arguments about that, I'm sure, but I have my own taste on that horn:

You'll get no argument from me! His recordings with Vic Dickenson on Vanguard are classic. As are the Blue Note recordings. And Hall heats up the Condon sides in the 50s (and they're pretty hot to begin with).

I plan on picking this up next month; in the meantime I'd be interested to hear how it compares, sonically, to the original lp.

Hall's my favourite clarinetist--the hottest ever. Okay, there'll be arguments about that, I'm sure, but I have my own taste on that horn:

..... in the meantime I'd be interested to hear how it compares, sonically, to the original lp.

I'll let you when I get my copy--I'll A/B/C it with the LP and my current CDR transfer, and let you know. (I like my own CDR copy, as it sounds just like my LP, but cleaned up).

Hall's my favourite clarinetist--the hottest ever.  Okay, there'll be arguments about that, I'm sure, but I have my own taste on that horn:  Lester Young, Phil Woods, Kenny Davern, Gerry Mulligan, Phil Nimmons, Irving Fazola and Herb Hall (Ed's brother) and on some days a few others...

Since you seemed to beg for 'flames' I will respond. Ed Hall was a very fine clarinet player. I have him on hundreds of recordings and have enjoyed him for 40+ years. He tended to 'get hot' by throwing some switch and he was overly influenced by BG at some point.

Considering your list of favorites I suggest Dodds, Simeon, Goodman, Shaw, Nicholas, Bechet, Russell, Tesch, Defranco or even Giuffre. Moving on a bit, how about Braxton, Mitchell, etc.

Chuck, you're not wrong about Ed. But when the 'switch' was thrown, HOT! (And a BG influence ain't necessarily a bad one...) How did I leave Pee Wee off my quick list!?!? And please note, flamers, it was a quick list--off the top of my failing memory with no re-reading...there are lots of great clarinetists, it's just that Ed has never failed to ignite me.

Anyway, the "Petite Fleur" arrived today, and it sounds great, so you can buy with confidence, MONTG. In fact, I'll ask my engineer to check his turntable speed--it may be a little slow, as an B/C check shows my CDR to be sounding a little slow. As I haven't a TT hooked up at the moment, and can't do an A/B/C test I'll assume that the Mighty Quinn release had the master tape as its source, and is properly transferred. (Oh, for perfect pitch!! or maybe not, as tuning can be like a constant toothache for those blessed/cursed).

The record's great, and highly recommended by me. After all, it has jazz' shaggy dog Vic Dickenson, Ellis Larkins (playing at bright tempos), Milt Hinton and the solid and under-recognized Jimmie Crawford, and Emmett Berry, who never got his due.