Complete Keynote Collection

spinlps

I have a chance to pick this up for $250. Is that a fair price for this box? I checked ebay Completed Auctions, but couldn't find anything.

21 Japanese pressed lps - that's 11.90 a disc.

Your call.

Edit to say the music is wonderful but your name indicates a vinyl interest so that is how I responded.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Your call.

Edit to say the music is wonderful but your name indicates a vinyl interest so that is how I responded.

Thanks Chuck. Guess I should have been more specific: What does this set usually go for? If it ebay's at $100, then I'll wait; if $250 or higher, then I'd pull the trigger.

I have some of the cuts here and there, but would love to have it all in one place if $250 is fair / going rate.

Your call.

Thanks Chuck. Guess I should have been more specific: What does this set usually go for? If it ebay's at $100, then I'll wait; if $250 or higher, then I'd pull the trigger.

I have some of the cuts here and there, but would love to have it all in one place if $250 is fair / going rate.

I think you were clear enough. When new I think I paid around $200 and it was regularly available. Not available now and I would pay more for the music.

As an artifact "on the market" I don't have a clue. That's why I tried to make some sort of distinction - music vs. artifact.

I think you were clear enough. When new I think I paid around $200 and it was regularly available. Not available now and I would pay more for the music.

As an artifact "on the market" I don't have a clue. That's why I tried to make some sort of distinction - music vs. artifact.

Fair enough. I assumed this wasn't available in other formats. Is it available on CD? But yes, I prefer vinyl to CD, but buy a fair share of the 0's and 1's for new releases.

I'd say $250 is a great price to get the music, assuming the vinyl is in great shape. I got lucky and won one on eBay for $180 a while back, but it usually goes for more there. I guess if you were real patient and in no hurry to get one, you could wait it out for a relative eBay bargain, but if I'd ever seen one for sale for $250 before I got mine, I'd have jumped all over it.

This is such a great set, chock full of wonderful music. I had much of it on CDs but I learned about this music after most were already out of print, and never could find some of the series...plus I believe some of the music in the LP set never was released in the CD series.

I found the CDs to have merely acceptable sound; the vinyl is a definite step up there - typically dead silent surfaces on these Japanese pressed records and more dynamic range. It's likely the vinyl was made from the same digital masters as the CDs but I still think the vinyl sounds better (maybe my bias of course).

I agree largely with Dr. J's assessment. I don't know if you can reasonably expect to purchase this set for much less than $10 per lp in the foreseeable future. Of course, a couple of months ago, I was able to purchase a sealed (re-sealed?), brand new copy of the Keynote set at Amoeba Hollywood for $100 - the folks at Amoeba usually do a better job of gauging the value of such sets. There truly is a lot of great music on these lp's.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed that, overall, the average ebay selling price for the first two Mosaic Commodore sets seems to have come down dramatically over the last year or so? I have seen a number of these Mosaics end up being sold for around the original list price or lower.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed that, overall, the average ebay selling price for the first two Mosaic Commodore sets seems to have come down dramatically over the last year or so?  I have seen a number of these Mosaics end up being sold for around the original list price or lower.

They went down, then came back up by my records. The complete set has been the real 'bargain'. Also, the last NKC went for $617!! Speculators be damded!! :lol:

Mosaic box - Complete Commodore Volume 1 $315 $305 $325 $227 $128 $191 $330 $407

COMMODORE VOL-2 -MOSAIC $380 $327 $300 $217 $378

Commodore Volume 3 $465 $450 $481 $510 $380

MOSAIC Complete Commodore Jazz 1, 2 & 3 66 LPs $761 $721

Edited by wolff

Great music! About a cd and a half's worth of this stuff (I think) has not been out on cd, and you'd spend a large amount of time and maybe more money trying to get all the cds that were released, and here you have a chance to get the vinyl at what looks to me a good price, all in one transaction.

Have no qualms about the music, there's examples here of everything from New Orleans jazz recorded in New Orleans (and NYC) to vocal jazz from Dinah Washington and Marlene Morris et al to bebop from Hermanites et al. Harry Lim was a wonderful producer with great taste.

I found the CDs to have merely acceptable sound; the vinyl is a definite step up there - typically dead silent surfaces on these Japanese pressed records and more dynamic range. It's likely the vinyl was made from the same digital masters as the CDs but I still think the vinyl sounds better (maybe my bias of course).

IIRC the vinyl box was issued several years before the CDs - so it was pressed from analog masters. The 10 or 11 CD volumes do not reissue the complete box, partly anthologized under some big name eg. 4 CDs with Coleman Hawkins, 2 with Roy Eldridge and other trumpeters.

I believe that the first 1000 copies of this box were signed on the inside front cover by Mr 'Boxman' Koyama and included the Lennie Tristano EP. These are probably likely to fetch a premium. For price comparisson purposes my box workedout about £135 in mint so that's around $200ish. I don't think it had even been played. I figured I had a pretty good deal for one of the '1000' in mint so if you can get it for $200-$250 in that condition you are doing well.

Great set !

Just checked. My copy's signed by Mr. Koyama as well. But the music will sound every bit as good on the unsigned boxes. As Chuck Nessa so sagely points out, the important thing is the music, not the artifact. (Having said that, I can't complain about the prices collectors are willing to pay for original editions. And many of those collectors just happen to be in Japan. A guy there paid me $1,400.00 for a first edition Blue Note by Jutta Hipp - the one with Jerry Lloyd and Zoot Sims - a pleasant enough album, but certainly not a desert island disc. It was rare though, and near mint. Those guys are really stamp collectors.)

I agree largely with Dr. J's assessment.  I don't know if you can reasonably expect to purchase this set for much less than $10 per lp in the foreseeable future.  Of course, a couple of months ago, I was able to purchase a sealed (re-sealed?), brand new copy of the Keynote set at Amoeba Hollywood for $100 - the folks at Amoeba usually do a better job of gauging the value of such sets.  There truly is a lot of great music on these lp's.

$100 at Amoeba!!!!!

Amazing. They must have mis-counted the number of LPs in the box set.

I agree largely with Dr. J's assessment.  I don't know if you can reasonably expect to purchase this set for much less than $10 per lp in the foreseeable future.  Of course, a couple of months ago, I was able to purchase a sealed (re-sealed?), brand new copy of the Keynote set at Amoeba Hollywood for $100 - the folks at Amoeba usually do a better job of gauging the value of such sets.  There truly is a lot of great music on these lp's.

$100 at Amoeba!!!!!

Amazing. They must have mis-counted the number of LPs in the box set.

Well, they did miscount, but they were only off by one. The sale tag indicated that the set included 20 lp's plus one ep. As you well know, Amoeba tends to ask far too much for most of their Mosaic sets - once in a while, though, you will find a relative bargain. I am surprised that they did not price the Keynote set accordingly.

Wolff, thanks for the ebay statistics regarding the Commodore sales. I guess that I was really lucky with the first two sets. I have a feeling that it is going to be some time before I get the opportunity to pick up Vol.3 for a good price.

Now you guys have me curious, I don't seem to remember any signature from "Boxman" on my set but it definitely has the Tristano "bonus" single in picture sleeve (it's not an EP). I'll have to look when I get home.

I also never recall hearing that the Tristano single was only included in the first run of boxes...it doesn't really make sense to me that they'd do it that way to be honest, why sell later copies that would be 2 tracks shy of complete - are you sure?

Now you guys have me curious, I don't seem to remember any signature from "Boxman" on my set but it definitely has the Tristano "bonus" single in picture sleeve (it's not an EP). I'll have to look when I get home.

I also never recall hearing that the Tristano single was only included in the first run of boxes...it doesn't really make sense to me that they'd do it that way to be honest, why sell later copies that would be 2 tracks shy of complete - are you sure?

All right, I am looking at my set as I write and I do not see any signature from "Boxman" anywhere. My bonus disc is also a 45 single, but it only has one track, "Untitled Blues". The flipside of the single has the words, "The Complete Keynote Collection", and the Keynote logo etched into the vinyl. The single is housed in an ordinary looking blue and white sleeve reading, "nippon phonogram". How different is my set from others'?

(The music, obviously, is still wonderful, and I would not easily part with this set.)

The light brown label is on the top inside of the front. Says 'This 1986 issue of the Complete Keynote Collection is a Limited Edition. Your Copy No........ Signed by Kiyoshi Koyama'.

That said, I have seen other copies of the set without signed label, otherwise box is identical. Some of the sets have the blue and white disk ('Untitled Blues' - maybe not strictly an EP but I think of it as such), others I have seen seem to be missing it. Suspect that all sets originally had the extra disk when purchased.

The extra disk format also seems to have been used with the Mercury VSOP set that was also issued around this time.

As mentioned though, it is the quality of the music that counts and this is unbeatable. Bottom line is that for your $200 - $300 you are getting fantastic bang-per-buck music wise. $100 from Amoeba is an incredible deal !

Edited by sidewinder

The extra disk format also seems to have been used with the Mercury VSOP set that was also issued around this time.

The Mercury VSOP Album set I have has the regular 4 LPs. No extra disc :huh:

Sounds like some weird things going on with these extra disks, Brownie. I have checked the set picked up at the JRC last week and it is a blue and white 'EP' of 'Mildama' by the Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet. This box isn't signed by 'the Man' though :huh:

Edited by sidewinder