Toshiko Akiyoshi

TheMusicalMarine

I got a recimmend for you - make sure your sight reading's up to snuff before attempting any of her charts. We played one in stage band in college, it had plenty of accidentals on top of key changes and time changes at a fierce tempo for 200 some through composed bars and I don't think I ever got past the 4th measure. Nor that that makes her music better...or worse.

UP !

I would like recommandations too.

I've read that when she started to record in the 50s, she payed like Bud Powell...

Did you know? In Hampton Hawes' autobiography "Rise Up Off Me", the pianist remembers the wild days spent under the army in Japan, late '40s. He tells he has met Toshiko and uses anthusiastic words for her Bud Powell influenced piano playing and her already deep skills as a jazz player.

I love her '70s Big Band recordings with Tabakin, a little more every time I listen to some of them.

I wish Mosaic was planning a big fat box of these records -someone close to Cuscuna listening?!

I'd be one of the first very happy buyers!

I listened to Toshiko Akiyoshi's Time Stream CD last night and remembered a solo concert I heard in 2001. She's a great pianist and arranger.

Keep swinging

Durium

it's good that you bring her up - she must already feel like Dewey Redman with her daughter being discussed here all the time... (Monday Michiru is her (and Mariano's) daughter, or am I making this up (?))

You got that right. .. but I kindof doubt she's reading our discussions here! :D

i'm pretty certain that toshiko is not lurking here BUT she is introduced often in japan as "monday mirchiru's mother" and she's, of course, a very big celeb in her own right there!

Edited by ValerieB

• 11 months later...

These are my CDs of Toshiko ( one with autograph !!)

4573047.jpg

Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra feauturing Lew Tabackin/Desert lady/Fantasy

Durium

:crazy:

Now playing this great album. Was pleased to find it in a used record store (even if without autograph) after the late Humphrey Lyttelton enthused on air about the Akiyoshi/Tabackin orchestra.

Edited by BillF

• 2 years later...

One of the rarest items by Toshiko that I own is United Notions: Toshiko and Her International Sextet.

Thanks, I will be looking for that one.

toshikoLPbig.jpg

What a line-up !!!

Toshiko Akyioshi (piano)

René Thomas (guitar)

Bobby Jaspar (flute, tenor and baritone sax)

Nat Adderley (cornet)

Rolf Kuhn (clarinet)

Doc Severinsen (trumpet)

John Drew (bass)

Bert Dahlender (drums)

Fresh Sounds reissued this title in 2009 and its still in print.