Oct conns?

reg

which is the one you are most looking forward to?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Under any other circumstances, I would have voted for "Mother Ship", a thousand times over. (I was lobbying very hard for it's reissue as a Conn, back on the BNBB.)

BUT, for this poll, I had to go with the Hill. :wub::wub::wub::tup:tup:tup

I already own "Mother Ship" as part of the Larry Young Mosaic (although I plan to pick up the Conn too), and the Hill is otherwise unreleased (and from 1969 at that!!). I would have voted for the Hill, no matter which unreleased session it was, but the fact that it has both Woody Shaw and Dizzy Reece on it, makes it potentially the best release from this entire calendar year, in my book

This is probably the best batch of Conns I've seen in several years, based on my own particular tastes.

I went with Hill. The only others I don't have are the Young and Rouse. I'll pick up the Young, but I'm not too excited about the Rouse. That Lee Morgan session will make his fans very, very happy. I might pick up the Rivers disc as well depending on what I read on this board when it comes out, as I find the sound on the Mosaic to be a little strange.

Edited by J Larsen

Tough choice!! I went with the Hill as well.

I will be buying all of these(eventually) except the Rivers, as I have the Mosaic. Re: the sound on the Mosaic, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary, but I'll happily listen to it tonight :D

I wonder if the Conn will include all the alternates of Upstairs Blues Downstairs.

I wonder if the Conn will include all the alternates of Upstairs Blues Downstairs.

I'm sure it will. If it didn't, that would break a pretty huge precedent of including all the "releasable" unreleased takes from a particular session, especially if there's space to include them on the same disc.

I'm sure they'll be there.

I chose the Hill also, mainly because it's never been issued, but also because there's some damn fine musicians on it. I, like RT, am particularly intrigued by the two-trumpet combination of Shaw and Reece. However, it's hard to say how solo space they get in a larger ensemble setting. Still, you'd think at least Woody would get a bunch of solos. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, I might add that Hill's "Lift Every Voice" from 1969 and 1970, has grown on me like a huge patch of moss on an enormous tree in a very wet and humid rainforest. And "Dance With Death", along with the '69/'70 sessions (LP #2) of Hill's "One For One", have both grown on me quite a lot too.

I'd be celebrating the release of any previously unreleased Hill (from any year), but to get to hear some more of what Hill was up to in 1969, with that line-up!!! - is almost too good to be true!!!! - at least in my book.

In fact, to say I'm almost frothing at the mouth in anticipation of "Passing Ships"...

...is almost an understatement. ;)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I too, have to go with the Hill on this one...I am definetly gonna get four of em, right out of the box...literally!!

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships

Larry Young - Mother Ship

Lee Morgan - Sonic Boom

Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

The Mobley and the Rouse are not on the list, becuase I am overly familiar with Mobley, familliar enough to pass this one by for a bit...as for the Rouse, I can see myself getting it further on down the road!

I'm very keen on Andrew Hill, but it has been said for years that his BN sessions after the Mosaic ones are not all that good, so I wonder how good this session will be.

Please, why not have a poll on who should replace Ron McMaster. He made a pig's ear of "Thinking of Home" and "Jacknife". How much longer is he going to be used for reissues of sessions that are not available in any other versions? Maybe one day, Toshiba will be given access to the vaults.

Christ, Moose, your latest obsession with GregM has been keeping you away from other important threads. How could you have been in the dark for so long? Kinda like that fellah who woke up from a long coma. ;) You know this is a special batch if Moose is willing to shell out some coin! :P

I am buying every fricking one of these, except I may hold off on the Rouse for a little while.

I want them all BADLY!! I too cannot remember such an outstanding selection.

I voted for Lee's "Sonic Boom," and only because people like Weizy would sell their TOJC copies for nothing less than $70 a pop! ;)

Been wanting that sucker for a long time. All the others are desired as well.

Have to start saving up by placing ebay on my temporary "ignore" list. :P

I see that I'm one of only two people who voted for Rouse. Is it that unremarkable of a session? I'm only asking because I have the Rivers Mosaic, and the other titles don't hold too much interest for me. Plus, I just dig Rouse's thick juicy tone! :)

I see that I'm one of only two people who voted for Rouse. Is it that unremarkable of a session? I'm only asking because I have the Rivers Mosaic, and the other titles don't hold too much interest for me. Plus, I just dig Rouse's thick juicy tone! :)

I think it depends on whether you favor progressive stuff, or less progressive stuff. (I only mean that descriptively, no value judgement implied.)

There's a lot of Andrew Hill fanatics on this particular board, and possibly as many or more Larry Young fanatics. Lee Morgan and Sam Rivers are mighty high on people's "all-time-best" lists too.

But, I suspect you could run the same poll on AAJ, and get some entirely different results. In fact, I think I'll pop over there right now and do just that... :)

Now that I think about it, I ordered the Rivers' from Blue Moon not too long ago, so maybe Hank gets the bump as my 4th pickup...or maybe the Rouse...Ahh hell, I just will only buy half of the upcoming RVG's instead of all of em. This is a VERY good time to be a Jazz Fan!!

FYI, I just started this exact same poll as a thread over on AAJ, just to see what the results are like over there.

I predict that Lee Morgan will win the poll over there (over 25% of the total vote), with Hank Mobley running a close second...

...and Andrew Hill and Larry Young will each get less than 10% of the votes (or less than 20% for their combined total).

Edited by Rooster_Ties