Oliver Nelson now available for preorder

Ron S

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Kopelowicz"? What is that, Canadian? The next thing you know we'll find out your first name is really "Cosmo"! ;)

A very French name :g by way of ... would be way too long to list all the countries involved in the ancestry!

Thought the photo turned out pretty nice. A Mosaic first for me -_-

If the published image was just a bit sharper, you'ld be able to recognize Phil Woods, Zoot Sims and Danny Bank in the sax section.

The cover is marvellous! The album is not bad but I found it pretty frustrating. A combination of talents that did not jell! But Pee Wee could really play up to the end of his career!

Tracks are too short, many under three minutes.

The final track, a version of Nelson's 'Six and Four' is a highlight of the album.

Hello friends,

I finally took the plunge on this set. What won me over was when I listened again to a great song called:

1. St. Louis Blues © 6:08 from the © LEONARD FEATHER'S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAZZ ALL STARS: Ernie Royal, Burt Collins, Joe Newman, Joe Wilder, Clark Terry, Snooky Young (tp, flg), J. J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb), Tony Studd (b-tb), Phil Woods (as, cl), Jerry Dodgion (as. cl, fl), Zoot Sims (ts), Jerome Richardson (ts, ss, fl), Danny Bank (bari), Albert Dailey (p), Eric Gale (g), Ron Carter (b), Grady Tate (d), Phil Kraus (mallets, perc).

It is such a great song. Moody and haunting at the same time. :wub:

I have some other Oliver Blues and the abstract....etc. which I enjoy from time to time.

/Shaft

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Can anyone that has this set tell me if the music is comparable to Live from Los Angeles?

In arranging style, yes. The live date is probably a bit more open for solos (it's really a blowing date with the arrangements as frams, that one is), but that'll vary from session to session. And some of the studio stuff is more "involved" writing-wise. Stuff gets pretty "dense" sometimes.

But I think it's safe to say that however you feel about the L.A. thing that you'll feel likewise towards the Mosaic material. It's all Oliver, it's just a question of degree.

• 11 months later...