Just in case you forgot how bad he really was!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was an announcement about the reissue of the material he recorded for Cobblestone/Muse.

Now, that would be something!

MG

All (? most?) of that was reissued by 32jazz - great discs, most of them!

Then some cheapo UK label did a 2CD set with the four full albums of which 32jazz did the compilation of that title.

d517941o4q6.jpgd97538m64ej.jpg

321164.jpge118788eyik.jpg

d305554ak8w.jpg

Dig the ugly covers!

I thought this was an announcement about the reissue of the material he recorded for Cobblestone/Muse.

Now, that would be something!

MG

All (? most?) of that was reissued by 32jazz - great discs, most of them!

Then some cheapo UK label did a 2CD set with the four full albums of which 32jazz did the compilation of that title.

d517941o4q6.jpgd97538m64ej.jpg

321164.jpge118788eyik.jpg

d305554ak8w.jpg

Dig the ugly covers!

But none are available, as far as I know. And none were available for very long, since 32Jazz was another of Joel Dorn's failures.

I've got them all, in one format or another, except for "12" and "Blues for Duke", but it would be great to have a set, including "In case you forgot how bad he really was", which was recorded for Muse but not released until 32Jazz had taken it over.

MG

:):):):):)

What box set is this?

You're not being very helpful ...

Sorry Dan

since there was a thread on this before, I thought people might be aware.

As Chuck said, yes it is the early Prestige material, killer stuff - in my opinion!

I picked it up yesterday - so far sounds better than previous incarnations.

One of my favorite Jim Sangrey quotes occured one evening after he had gone shopping for used records that day. He had picked up a used Sonny Stitt LP from the early 70's and we popped it on the turntable. I believe we listened to the first 3 songs when Jim suddenly exclaimed:

"God DAMN Sonny, how many times can you record the SAME fuckin' album!?" :g

One of my favorite Jim Sangrey quotes occured one evening after he had gone shopping for used records that day. He had picked up a used Sonny Stitt LP from the early 70's and we popped it on the turntable. I believe we listened to the first 3 songs when Jim suddenly exclaimed:

"God DAMN Sonny, how many times can you record the SAME fuckin' album!?" :g

I think Bob Porter said something rather like that in the sleeve notes to one of the Sonny Stitt albums he produced.

That's why I've only got 58 of them (just over a third).

MG

I’m what you might call a freelancer—like, the lone wolf. It’s difficult at times, because each little band you play with has a different attitude towards music. You have to analyse them first, and play what they can play. Don’t confuse the band. I know maybe three thousand songs; they might know a hundred songs. So I play the hundred they know, and forget about what I know.

taken from Les Tomkins Sonny Stitt interview which is found at

http://www.jazzprofessional.com/interviews/Sonny%20Stitt.htm

...just in case anyone forgot

I recently found a used copy of a Japanese reissue of what turns out to be one of my favorite Stitt recordings--Sonny Stitt at the D.J. Lounge, on Argo. Stitt is in top form on this one, playing with what I assume is a Chicago group--John Board on tenor, Edward Buster on organ, and Joe Shelton on drums. I've never heard of John Board, but he sounds good, and he and Stitt blend well together and are both inspired. Recorded June, 1961 at McKie's Disc Jockey Show Lounge, Chicago.

I wish Verve would reissue the Sonny Stitt album with Oscar Peterson, that one is a definite keeper. I used to have the old CD version but one of my ex-girlfriends snagged it. :angry:

You had a girlfriend who dug Stitt/Peterson and you let her get away??