New Ipods

md655321

Finally an 80gb ipod, and at 50 bucks cheaper than the last ipod.

The best part about new ipods is the lowered cost of the old one. You can now get a 60gb Video ipod for only 229, something that retailed for 399 two days ago.

If anyone is still on the fence, I highly reccomend it. Im still stuck on a 40gb black and white, but it suits my purposes pretty well. Id love the 80gig.

You can now get a 60gb Video ipod for only 229, something that retailed for 399 two days ago.

I'm finally considering getting one.

Where might I find one (the 60gb) for that price? Is the new one worth the extra $$$? It seems to me that the 60gb would be more than adequate for my needs.

Where's the best place online to look?

Thanks in advance for the info. :)

EDIT: I did the requisite search and found some other related threads, I'm just wondering about this newest version.

Edited by Free For All

I would get one from an Apple Store, that's really the best way. They are also available from Target stores.

I'm possibly going to the Houston store this afternoon. I'll let you know what I find out. Here's the online link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO.../AppleStore.woa

It looks to me as if there's now a 30 GB for 249 and an 80 GB for 369. I don't seen 60 GB on the web pages.

My first ipod was a refurbished one. It works beautifully and ive never had a serious problem with it.

Most info i have heard on them have been positive, sometimes even more so than regular ipods. Often any glitches the ipod might have was fixed when it was 'refurbished', so its actually less likely than new ones to have problems.

What I don't like about the Ipod is that it inserts a moment of silence between tracks. When your listening to a live piece or long piece that is divided upto into individual tracks you get these little hiccups which are very disturbing. The only way around this is to record the entire cd as one l-o-n-g track, which is problematic for say Abbey Road. I don't want to have to listen to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or "Octopus' Garden" everytime I want to hear the extended suite on side two.

If you go to the Apple site and read about the new iPods,

it says that they've fixed that. It's also fixed in the latest iTunes

that was released just a couple of days ago.

Don't know how they managed to fix it considering the way mp3s

are constructed, but they supposedly have.

If you go to the Apple site and read about the new iPods,

it says that they've fixed that. It's also fixed in the latest iTunes

that was released just a couple of days ago.

Don't know how they managed to fix it considering the way mp3s

are constructed, but they supposedly have.

That's good news. Are they releasing a firmware update for the older players? My wife has a 20 gig model that's about two years old.

Went to the Apple Store here in town for another reason and no new iPods yet. Didn't get a chance to rap with anyone as it was a trip for my wife, not me, and we were in the midst of a week of medical angst (which all dissipated with one phone call while we were there at the Galleria!) and the techs there that I knew to talk to were busy.

Online the new ones look nice. I'm very happy with my 60GB, so I can recommend those heartily if someone finds a deal.

Concerning the software update, I have a question which may be the same as Chalupa's.

My 40-gig crashed a few months ago. The Apple Store thought it sounded like the hard drive was bad, but it might be related (although unlikely) to the fact that I had not loaded the latest software (I always click no when asked - I'm very resistant to upgrades). The woman said I needed to update it both on the iPod itself and on my computer. She did the iPod for me (wiping it out in the process), and I was supposed to go home and do it on the computer. Otherwise, the versions of the software on my iPod and my computer were not compatible.

However, I still have not gotten around to doing so. Now, there is a new version. Do I need to put this new version both on my computer and my iPod? Can I do both these things from the iTunes site? Where exactly do I find it?

My plan is to:

1) Download the new software onto my computer

2) Update the software on my iPod if necessary

3) Load the iTunes library into my iPod

If I still experience playback problems, then I'll get an 80 gig (with extended warranty). I was mad at Apple all summer because my 40-gig only lasted about 20 months, but now I just miss having one too much. With 80 gigs, I can put most of my CDs on there!

My experience is to get the extended warranty. If I had had it on my 40-gig, I could have gotten a new one in May. Note that you cannot get a warranty beyond two years. This means they know there is a good chance iPods will die after two years - not much of life expectancy for something that price.

So, in summary:

Where do I get the software I need to update my computer and (eventually) the iPod itself?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I think in this case your caution about updates is warranted.

I wouldn't get the iTunes update just yet - too many glitches that I've heard about.

In general, I would say that you probably want the 80GB if you're getting it for the storage

capacity instead of getting it for it's ability to take out the silent spots between medley songs.

On your computer, if you go to the apple in the corner left and go down to "Software Update"

you can get info on new updates that you might not have downloaded yet.

It also provides a way to find out more about these updates, so you can decide whether to download it or not.

If you decide to update iTunes to 7, your iPod will ask you if you want to update it or not when you connect it to your computer.

I always recommend that anyone wait a while after an update while checking the Apple Forums:

Forums

Rod

Edited by rostasi