Genesis reunion

Guy Berger

Funny, on VH1, there was a Genesis concert from 1976, and this was probably around the time when Phil Collins took over lead vocals...it was pretty cool! Steve Hackett and Bill Bruford were in the band. Interesting how Phil seemed to try to fill Peter Gabriel's shoes with the theatrics, althoug he did not wear any costumes.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe........I first saw them in 1980 in Philly (Abacab tour) then the the following summer at Forest Hill Stadium in Queens NY- they had the EWF horns and did Supper's Ready and other oldies (pre-Lamb) and every tour thereafter in Philly- the last at Vet Stadium during the We Can't Dance tour- 1991?? gotta look up my ticket stubs.

basically my plan as of now, my usual sneaking in methods of getting backstage, this tour is way too important to rely on sheer luck....basically as of now my plan is just to have like 500 dollars cash in my wallet at each show, and the 1st person i see with a guest laminate ill just be all: "ill give u 200 big ones for it"

• 1 month later...

I took my daughter to see the Genesis show when it landed in Albany a couple of weeks back. It was actually a great show. Collins is quite the showman! He's also still got his drum chops (I actually think he's better now than he was back in the Gabriel/Hackett days). The show leaned heavily to pre-"Duke" Genesis (material from "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," "Foxtrot," "Selling England By The Pound," "Trick of the Tail," "Nursery Crime," etc.) with a few late 70s and 80s radio hits thrown in to add variety (and to please the Collins fans, no doubt, who were not familar with the other material). I was particularly surprised that they did NOT peform "That's All." The encores were "I Can't Dance" from an early 90s album (can't remember the title, as I've never owned it) and "The Carpet Crawlers" from "Broadway." The three-man line-up was augmented by an extra guitar/bass (which allowed Rutherford to alternate between his two main instruments. It seemed like he played bass on the earlier tunes, which makes sense as he played bass on those albums. There was also a second drummer, which allowed Collins to sing lead and retire to his drum kit as needed. He and the drummer played an intense drum battle that certainly cleared the air on whether Collins has kept up on his instrument! I was impressed, I have to say, as well as vastly entertained...

• 3 years later...

my, my....wasn't that a thread killer? :lol:

seriously...I've been listening to them lately. Favorites include: Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, …And Then There Were Three…, Genesis Live (the 1st one) and Seconds Out.

I was just listening to Seconds Out this afternoon.

Genesis were one of my favourites in the mid-70s - saw them on the early '73 Foxtrot tour.

I was listening to a few albums over Xmas and loved them. An unfairly maligned band - in this country a lot of it because of their posh origins. Never felt they were great improvisers but did wonders with texture and memorable melody before the synths took over.