Charles Mingus Sextet, Live at Cornell U 1964

Guy Berger

JPF, I should have added this to my original review, from the liner notes;

"Note: occasional instances of drop-out or phasing are in the original mono recording and cannot be corrected."

Although it doesn't say who actually recorded it originally, I have to say that whoever did do it, they did a good job, as they are very occasional instances of drop-out or phasing. :w:w:w

Thanks for the info; sounds like it's worth getting, even with the minor sound problems (and who was still recording in mono in 1964?). Now I have to decide whether, considering I have 10 Mingus CDs, 3 double CDs, 2 box sets, 3 DVDs, and 2 books, I need yet another CD set. But then, can you ever have too much Mingus?

By the way, the Jazz Icons website has a promotional video for their upcoming September releases and the Mingus concerts have very high quality video and audio. There goes some more money!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JPF, I should have added this to my original review, from the liner notes;

"Note: occasional instances of drop-out or phasing are in the original mono recording and cannot be corrected."

Although it doesn't say who actually recorded it originally, I have to say that whoever did do it, they did a good job, as they are very occasional instances of drop-out or phasing. :w:w:w

Thanks for the info; sounds like it's worth getting, even with the minor sound problems (and who was still recording in mono in 1964?). Now I have to decide whether, considering I have 10 Mingus CDs, 3 double CDs, 2 box sets, 3 DVDs, and 2 books, I need yet another CD set. But then, can you ever have too much Mingus?

By the way, the Jazz Icons website has a promotional video for their upcoming September releases and the Mingus concerts have very high quality video and audio. There goes some more money!

Anything less than all Mingus is inadequate.

Mono recording was not as uncommon (especially outside the "industry") in 1964 as you might think. (Or at least that has been my discovery).

This is going to be GREAT.

I almost agree about "all Mingus." I can do without a chunk of the last three or four years to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to my copy just once. I'm very impressed.

Its much more "fun" than the other releases from this group. I know some people have had some gripes about this group being over recorded, but this release presents the group in a different perspective than previous releases have, which is a great thing. Not sure whether I'd say its better or worse than any of their previously released work, but its still a must own if you are a fan of this group.

I know some people have had some gripes about this group being over recorded,

Really? I've never heard anybody suggest this. :huh:

Guy

Over recorded???? You've got to be kidding me. I would love a box set of the complete live recordings of the '64 Europe tour.

Ha! During Dolphy's bass clarinet solo on "Fables" Mingus starts to play "Ysabel's Table Dance."

He did this on The Great Concert of Charles Mingus as well. I'm guessing this was a regular "routine", but am not that familiar with other recordings from this tour.

Guy

Guy

Pardon my phrasing...over-recorded is not what I meant to say.

I've heard some small gripes from fellow jazz lovers that although everyone loves this group, they wish that some live recordings of other Mingus groups would surface as opposed to just this group, who already has many recordings availiable.

I'd like to hear more live material from other phases of Mingus' life as well, but don't get me wrong....I think this was his best group and I hope they continue to find/release more! This new release is wonderful...an incredible discovery.

Guy

Pardon my phrasing...over-recorded is not what I meant to say.

I've heard some small gripes from fellow jazz lovers that although everyone loves this group, they wish that some live recordings of other Mingus groups would surface as opposed to just this group, who already has many recordings availiable.

I'd like to hear more live material from other phases of Mingus' life as well, but don't get me wrong....I think this was his best group and I hope they continue to find/release more! This new release is wonderful...an incredible discovery.

Well, that I can't disagree with -- I would love more recordings from the 1959 band. (Though maybe I should listen to that 1959 Newport Festival recording that I downloaded a few years ago and never listened to!)

According to a "dusted" review by Derek Taylor (probably my favorite reviewer) there were other "tape discoveries" by Sue that should be seeing the light of day.

This is a great release. . . I'm listening to it again right now. . . love the sound and the playing.

I believe that it was also called "Hope So Eric" on at least one of the recordings.

There's also "Praying with Eric"- is that the same tune? I don't have that recording.

It seems the full title (or at least one of the many) was "So Long Eric (Don't Stay Over There Too Long)".

Really enjoying the Cornell concert, BTW. :tup