Mozart: The Complete Piano Sonatas

B. Goren.

Have the Bilson on the way ... shoukd arrive tomorrow or day after!

And having the one Müllejahns/Bezuidenhout violin sonatas disc, I'm more than tempted to check out some of his Mozart piano sonatas.

Not sure what it is, but I don't hook up with Staier's Mozart at all so far.

Have the Bilson on the way ... shoukd arrive tomorrow or day after!

And having the one Müllejahns/Bezuidenhout violin sonatas disc, I'm more than tempted to check out some of his Mozart piano sonatas.

Not sure what it is, but I don't hook up with Staier's Mozart at all so far.

Never heard the Müllejans/Bezuidenhout violin sonatas; could be interesting, even though I generally don't like the sound of fortepianos. What I've heard of Bezuidenhout's Mozart keyboard sonatas (and concerti, for that matter) sounded too thin to my liking - again, the fortepiano...

I agree with you about Staier, he seems to be an acquired taste.

Edited by J.A.W.

Certainly not Glenn Gould! He expressed his disrespect for Mozart's compositions and his judgment that these pieces were inferior in quality, and did some funny stuff with them when he recorded (only part of) the sonatas. He had no deeper relationship to Mozart's music - I still have the LP box set - if you want it .....

I totally agree with Mike. As a matter of fact, everything I've heard Gould do I found horrible, I avoid his performances like the plague.

I have 2 versions of the complete Mozart piano sonatas, one by Ronald Brautigam, the other by Maria João Pires (her later DG cycle), but, as I said earlier, these works are not really my cup of tea.

gould recorded all the mozart piano sonatas, not just some of them. they're all on the 4cd box.

and if you listen to these two movements from the box, you may agree that even though he didn't necessarily like them, he could interpret them probably better than anyone else (at least these two movements).

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Complete-Piano-Sonatas-Fantasias/dp/B0000028NT

cd3

1. Sonata No. 11 in A Major for Piano, K. 331: I. Tema: Andante grazioso

and

5. Sonata No. 12 in F Major for Piano, KV. 332 (300k): II. Adagio

Edited by l p

Certainly not Glenn Gould! He expressed his disrespect for Mozart's compositions and his judgment that these pieces were inferior in quality, and did some funny stuff with them when he recorded (only part of) the sonatas. He had no deeper relationship to Mozart's music - I still have the LP box set - if you want it .....

I totally agree with Mike. As a matter of fact, everything I've heard Gould do I found horrible, I avoid his performances like the plague.

I have 2 versions of the complete Mozart piano sonatas, one by Ronald Brautigam, the other by Maria João Pires (her later DG cycle), but, as I said earlier, these works are not really my cup of tea.

gould recorded all the mozart piano sonatas, not just some of them. they're all on the 4cd box.

and if you listen to these two movements from the box, you may agree that even though he didn't necessarily like them, he could interpret them probably better than anyone else (at least these two movements).

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Complete-Piano-Sonatas-Fantasias/dp/B0000028NT

cd3

1. Sonata No. 11 in A Major for Piano, K. 331: I. Tema: Andante grazioso

and

5. Sonata No. 12 in F Major for Piano, KV. 332 (300k): II. Adagio

Aargh! Try Vlado Perlemuter on Spotify.

• 1 month later...

shadowy ones?

I think there's nothing shadowy about the Gulda recordings - they were made in his private studio. And they're good!

Enjoyed my first listen to the Bilson set a lot (and in the meantime also got his Schubert sonatas box, although I was quite unable to find any reviews online).

shadowy ones?

I think there's nothing shadowy about the Gulda recordings - they were made in his private studio. And they're good!

@ubu : shadowy in the sense how long it took btw which protracted steps had to be taken to make this release happen ......

I just had chills!

@chuck : chills of joy, I presume :smirk: ?

Arthur Schoonderwoerd's new set also deserves mention for those who like historical pianos:

@ mikeweil : yes - definitely worth a listen !!

Edited by soulpope

shadowy ones?

@ubu : shadowy in the sense how long it took btw which protracted steps had to be taken to make this release happen ......

I see! Wasn't aware that these hadn't been out for a long time ...

Arthur Schoonderwoerd's new set also deserves mention for those who like historical pianos:

@ mikeweil : yes - definitely worth a listen !!

Planning to check them out eventually! But having just bought the fine Bilson box recently, I'm in no hurry.

• 8 months later...

I have a new favorite set of Mozart piano sonatas: Lili Kraus from 1954. I am listening to this on Spotify right now from the Music and Arts release, but I just bought from amazon.fr a set with her complete recordings between 1933 and 1958, including these and many other gems, among which Mozart and Beethoven violin sonatas with Szymon Goldberg and Willi Boskovsky:

http://www.amazon.fr/Lili-Kraus-Parlophone-Ducretet-Thomson-Discophiles/dp/B00LLHG94W/

I have a new favorite set of Mozart piano sonatas: Lili Kraus from 1954. I am listening to this on Spotify right now from the Music and Arts release, but I just bought from amazon.fr a set with her complete recordings between 1933 and 1958, including these and many other gems, among which Mozart and Beethoven violin sonatas with Szymon Goldberg and Willi Boskovsky:

http://www.amazon.fr/Lili-Kraus-Parlophone-Ducretet-Thomson-Discophiles/dp/B00LLHG94W/

f77a3568e1.jpg

these 1967/68 recordings offer a captivating view on her later Mozart Sonata performances...