Sports: NBA 2007-2008

***RUMOR***

Saw this elsewhere online, but per AM 570 in Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant has been traded to the Dallas Mavericks. He's cleared out his locker supposedly as well.

Lakers are supposedly getting Jason Terry, Juwon Howard, and 2 first rounders. Story's going around on The Ticket in Dallas too. Wonder how true it is??

edit - just tried to listen to both stations on line, but haven't heard anything about this. I guess it's just a rumor.

Doesn't make sense to me. Howard & Terry are nothing to write home about, and two very low first rounder? If the Lakers are offering to take that, I'm jumping on it right now if I'm Dallas.... I think Kobe wishes he took that Clipper offer now, that made so much sense for him.

Maybe they meant Josh Howard? Terry is a good shoot-first point guard, and Howard is a very good (not great) all-star caliber player. Given that the Lakers are going nowhere with Kobe, maybe it's a good idea to blow up the team and start from scratch. Plus, ditching Kobe's contract makes trading for the right pieces easier.

Personally, as a Laker hater, I hope they keep him.

Guy

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they meant Josh Howard? Terry is a good shoot-first point guard, and Howard is a very good (not great) all-star caliber player. Given that the Lakers are going nowhere with Kobe, maybe it's a good idea to blow up the team and start from scratch. Plus, ditching Kobe's contract makes trading for the right pieces easier.

What I read was Josh Howard, not sure where Juwon came from - brain fart on my part. I see more denial-type stuff on the net than I do confirmation of this, though. Still appears to be nothing more than a rumor.

Kobe was interviewed on ESPNews and denied having any knowledge. He said to speak to Dr. Buss and Mitch about it, and added that he's just busy getting ready to play. Apparently he didn't "clean out his locker" as reported, but straightened up the contents (what's in that thing, anyway?).

Kobe was interviewed on ESPNews and denied having any knowledge. He said to speak to Dr. Buss and Mitch about it, and added that he's just busy getting ready to play. Apparently he didn't "clean out his locker" as reported, but straightened up the contents (what's in that thing, anyway?).

Even so, I think we're seeing the last days of Kobe in Lakerland. What's become obvious is that he is a great player, but can't raise the game of the players around him, so for Kobe to get that championship, he has to go to a team that's already good -- Dallas would be the ideal fit for him. Given all his talents, there is something not "there" about his game and his approach to teammates. There is the insistent need to have the ball, giving Kobe the rock is like throwing it into a Black Hole, it never comes back out. His teammates seem to have a disdain for him that isn't there for other superstars; plus, he needs to be the center of attention at all times. The Lakers would be better off without Kobe, get some good players, and start over again trying to build a championship team.

The Wonderful World of Gilbert Arenas from The Secret Weapon:

Good friend and neighbor Jimmy Johnson was an Eagle Scout. Which is to say that he’s always prepared — even for preseason NBA games. Jimmy is the king of the online hookup. So, when he saw the Wizards would play an exhibition game against Dallas at George Mason, Jimmy worked his magic to obtain seats, one of which was courtside. And Jimmy was in post-season form for a pre-season game.

Gilbert Arenas played in the first half, but was sitting in the second half, keeping busy by untying teammates’ shoes and other assorted pranks. During a stoppage in play, Arenas was casually scanning the crowd when Jimmy caught his eye. By flashing the box to the Halo 3 game.

When Gilbert saw what it was, he lit up in a huge grin. He flashed three fingers at Jimmy — asking if it was Halo 3. Jimmy gave him “thumbs up” from across the court. Then he pointed at Gilbert, took out a Sharpie and pretended to sign the box. Gil nodded in response and mouthed something that seemed like “after the game.”

Then Gil called over the towel boy. And during the next time out, the towel boy came over to Jimmy, cast a furtive glance over his shoulder to make sure none of the coaches were watching, and asked Jimmy to put the game in the towel. Which Jimmy did. Jimmy also slipped in a little something extra.

“What is that?” the towel boy asked.

“Something for Gilbert,” Jimmy replied.

The towel boy shrugged. He was just the smuggler, what did he care? He delivered the contraband to Arenas and whispered something to Gil. Arenas opened the towel, held up the Halo box surreptitiously, and looked over at Jimmy.

“For me?” he mouthed.

Jimmy shook his head “no” and signaled for Gil to sign it. So, like a kid trying to avoid getting caught with a Sports Illustrated during physics class, Gil turned his body to shield the Halo box from assistant coach Randy Ayers (who was sitting next to Arenas), and signed the box.

Then Arenas pulled out the surprise gift — a massive pair of granny panties, size 10x. Upon which Jimmy had written, “My grandma loves Gilbert Arenas.” Except he drew a heart instead of writing “loves.” Jimmy even took the time to color the heart bright red.

Arenas was puzzled. As play continued on the court, he forgot about assistant coach Randy Ayers sitting right next to him. He frowned at Jimmy. Jimmy gestured that the panties were for Arenas.

About this time, the rest of the Wizards players sitting on the bench noticed Gilbert holding up ginormous granny panties. Which Gilbert happily passed around to the rest of the team – let no one say the man is selfish. While play carried on, they laughed uproariously. Somehow, the coaches seemed not to notice.

After a few minutes, the panties came back to Arenas. He tucked them (and the Halo box) into the towel, and passed it down the bench to the towel boy. But, perhaps there was a translation problem, because Oleksiy Pecherov opened the towel, saw the Halo box and the Sharpie, and tried to sign it. The towel boy was alert, and swooped in for the evening’s best block.

A few minutes later, the towel boy came back across the baseline, avoided the scanning gazes of the coaching staff, and delivered the package to Jimmy. Who opened the towel and removed…the Halo box. And only the Halo box. Arenas had kept the granny panties.

This is why I love the NBA.

Even so, I think we're seeing the last days of Kobe in Lakerland. What's become obvious is that he is a great player, but can't raise the game of the players around him, so for Kobe to get that championship, he has to go to a team that's already good -- Dallas would be the ideal fit for him. Given all his talents, there is something not "there" about his game and his approach to teammates. There is the insistent need to have the ball, giving Kobe the rock is like throwing it into a Black Hole, it never comes back out. His teammates seem to have a disdain for him that isn't there for other superstars; plus, he needs to be the center of attention at all times. The Lakers would be better off without Kobe, get some good players, and start over again trying to build a championship team.

Did you see the way Kobe played with Team USA? He knows how to share the ball.

I agree he'll be out of Los Angeles soon.

Did you see the way Kobe played with Team USA? He knows how to share the ball.

I agree he'll be out of Los Angeles soon.

Yeah, he was good with Team USA, but that was because he was with players whose game he respected. From what I've seen of Kobe, if he doesn't respect your game, he going to freeze you out. On the Lakers, other than Lamar Odom & Derek Fisher, I don't see anyone who Kobe respects, and Odom is iffy. Chicago or Dallas seem to be the teams going after Kobe, and I think Cuban could get the most out of Kobe, plus it would take the pressure off Dirk Nowitzki -- though whether those two could coexist on the same floor/team is a whole other issue.

Chicago or Dallas seem to be the teams going after Kobe, and I think Cuban could get the most out of Kobe, plus it would take the pressure off Dirk Nowitzki -- though whether those two could coexist on the same floor/team is a whole other issue.

I think Kobe would be a disaster for Chicago under the current coach. So unless they decide to dump Skiles, and I see no reason to think they would, going after Kobe would be a bad move. Hard to say if Kobe and Dirk could co-exist, but maybe. Dirk has proven that he is a very good player, but he isn't "the man" and doesn't seem to have much interest in being "the man," whereas that is very much what Kobe is about.

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago or Dallas seem to be the teams going after Kobe, and I think Cuban could get the most out of Kobe, plus it would take the pressure off Dirk Nowitzki -- though whether those two could coexist on the same floor/team is a whole other issue.

I think Kobe would be a disaster for Chicago under the current coach. So unless they decide to dump Skiles, and I see no reason to think they would, going after Kobe would be a bad move. Hard to say if Kobe and Dirk could co-exist, but maybe. Dirk has proven that he is a very good player, but he isn't "the man" and doesn't seem to have much interest in being "the man," whereas that is very much what Kobe is about.

wouldnt it be interesting if the kobe and the zenmeister reunite on the bulls?

it appears le bulls may be trying to revisit :rolleyes: the glory days.

will somebody please kick # 24's ass........

he needs it.....

:ph34r:

Heard on sportscenter this past weekend (i think) that the bulls deal would be kobe for deng, gordon noah and another player i cant remember.

Then Kobe turns around and says he doesn't wanna play for the bulls without those players.

The fuck does he want??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No one had any problem playing with Kobe on Team USA at the Fiba Qualifying Tourney.

Kobe wants to win. It's not his fault the Lakers organization has come up empty during the Mitch Kupchak era. I don't blame him for wanting to be traded, he's in the same boat as Garnett was with Minnesota--one of the best players in the world stuck on a team with no hope of winning a title.

Hi Gang,

Hate to bust in on this thread but some of you I know and I need information if possible.

Seeing as how I am about to have heart procedure or procedures upon me and as a result will probably have to take Plavix the rest of my life, my question to you is this.

Has anyone heard of or utilized or presently using Discount Drugs from Canada as their medication dispensary?? This, after some research, seems to be the one place of avoiding the horrendous costs of medication in the United States. Plavix has apparently been out for about 10 years and yet there is no generic medication available, at least not on my medical plan.

Any verification or confirmation is greatly appreciated. You do not have to identify yourself, this is for my own information to make a solid choice of obtaining needed medications.

Thanks

Bruce W

You have to love the Knicks. Marbury is left of out the starting line-up and walks out in a huff, but he leaves this parting shot for Zeke:

"Isiah has to start me," Marbury fumed, according to the source. "I've got so much (stuff) on Isiah and he knows it. He thinks he can (get) me. But I'll (get) him first. You have no idea what I know."

Starbury at work again....