Charlie Mariano discography

EKE BBB

One of my favorites is from 1960, Toshiko/Mariano Quartet. Reissued I believe on Candid in 1999. The tracks

When You Meet Her,

Littlet,

Toshiko's Elegy,

Deep River/Old Man River, medley, just so good,

Long Yellow Road,

Definately well worth a listen.

The Rep

I am, and always have been a BIG Charlie Mariano fan .... and that goes back a long time! (In the mid-fifties I was completely captivated by his Bethlehem albums, and his version of "Johnny One Note" is still one of my favorite alto cuts ...) Admittedly I am not always fond of his more adventurous "world music" efforts, but I just counted, and I have 28 Mariano CDs in my collection. This discography is very frustrating, because so few of his recent, more mainstream, efforts are available in the U.S. I guess I will have to shell out those depleted U.S. $$$ and buy through one of the European Amazon sites ....

If you have not heard his recent "Deep In A Dream," or "Not Just A Ballad" albums, then you are missing out on some of the greatest, most intelligrant, and emotional alto saxophone sounds in the modern jazz world ... IMHO, of course ...

I think that this discography is missing some sides that he did with Howard Lucraft in June, 1957 ... These are available on the Fresh Sound collection, "Modern Sounds From California 1954-1957 (FSR 2202).

Edited by garthsj

Thanks to JSngry and brownie for pointing out missing items in my Charlie Mariano Discography.

Any addition or correction is highly appreciated :)

The info about the years from 1947 to early 1993 is mainly based on Robert G. Pettibone's sessionography to Lothar Lewien's Charlie Mariano biography "CHARLIE MARIANO - TEARS OF SOUND, Wanderer zwischen den Musikwelten." I found some minor mistakes in this sessionography, but it has been very helpful as a starting point for my investigations. Of course the earlier years are not as well documented on the world wide web (which has been my main sorce so far).

I'll check this thread regularly, and investigate and add the items to the disco.

Missing from the discography is the December 1952 session with the Jackson-Harris unit for Clef§Norgran/Verve with Bill Harris and Chubby Jackson plus other sides with the same unit (including a

February 1953 broadcast with Charlie Parker!

Robert G. Pettibone gives February 14, 1953 as the recording date with Bill Harris and Chubby Jackson, including the tracks C-Jam Blues, Jive At Five, Tutti-Frutti, and Sue Loves Mabel, released by Norgran EPN-7. Anyway, I'll have to add this recording.

Stunning admission time:

I think the only Mariano recordings I own are the two or three Rabih Abou-Khalil dates he's on (which are all outstanding, by the way :tup ).

What other Mariano should I get next??

Get these two for sure:

Charles Mingus: Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

Charles Mingus: The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

Missing from the discography is the December 1952 session with the Jackson-Harris unit for Clef§Norgran/Verve with Bill Harris and Chubby Jackson plus other sides with the same unit (including a

Robert G. Pettibone gives February 14, 1953 as the recording date with Bill Harris and Chubby Jackson, including the tracks C-Jam Blues, Jive At Five, Tutti-Frutti, and Sue Loves Mabel, released by Norgran EPN-7. Anyway, I'll have to add this recording.

December 14, 1952 (with a question mark) is the date given for this session in Michel Ruppli's 'The Clef/Verve Labels, A Discography' book.

Anyway welcome here, Hepcat! Will check further on this Mariano discography. He is one of my favorite players :tup

This is an excellent resource. Thanks, hepcat 1950, for your work.

Thanks, Bill :)

Stunning admission time:

I think the only Mariano recordings I own are the two or three Rabih Abou-Khalil dates he's on (which are all outstanding, by the way :tup ).

What other Mariano should I get next??

Get these two for sure:

Charles Mingus: Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

Charles Mingus: The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

I'm always very cautious when it comes to recommendations. I'm no professional musician nor am I a professional critic/writer. I'm just a humble jazz enthusiast who happens to live in the same country Charlie Mariano chose to settle.

But I'll post a list of my favorites and give some hints with regard to European musicians who might not been aware to American listeners.

I'm travelling to Frankfurt now to listen to some music at the German Jazz Festival in Frankfurt on Main.

I'll be back at the beginning of next week.

December 14, 1952 (with a question mark) is the date given for this session in Michel Ruppli's 'The Clef/Verve Labels, A Discography' book.

Anyway welcome here, Hepcat! Will check further on this Mariano discography. He is one of my favorite players :tup

Thanks, brownie :)

I'll look for additional info/sources about the Harris~Jackson session.

And thanks again for your input.

CU all :)

I'm ashamed to say that I've got only his Mirror Mirror LP. His playing on the Mingus Mingus.... recording is my all time favorite though. "Ashamed" because I started hearing him live around 1960. He came down here with Toshiko and Eddy Marshall, then I heard him play tenor one night with Kenton over on Ft. Bragg. Then I met him again at berklee.

I'll have to rectify the situation. :)

BTW, my Mirror Mirror has 1972 on it; it's probably the release date, not the recording's.

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile I've closed some gaps in Charlie Mariano's discography. I'm still struggling with the early years (1953, 1955, 1956), and there are still some items which I can't find any further details about:

• Jimmy Ricks: Vibrations [c1965]
  • Thilo von Westernhagen: Theater [July 1982]
  • Water Is Life Band [1987]
  • The International Commission For The Prevention Of Musical Border Control [November 1991]
  • Brothers Smahi & Charlie Mariano: Jazz meets North African Rhythms - Live [2003]

Does anybody possess one of the recordings listed above?

I added a lot of other stuff, e.g. articles, interviews, album reviews, concert reviews, and some more pictures and links to pictures at other sites.

German pianist Johannes Schenk just announced a brand new trio album recorded early 2007 in a church with him playing pipe organ, Charlie playing alto and nagaswaram, and Ramesh Shotham playing percussion.

see The Tamarind Tree

Johannes Schenk offers a detailed description and some listening samples here.

I already loved Charlie's recording Cathedral Vol. 1 with bassist Vitold Rek from Poland featuring German pianist Peter Reiter on pipe organ.

The samples of the new recording sound very promising again [for me].

On November 5th a new duo recording should've been released in Germany, but was not yet available at my local record shop:

Charlie Mariano & [keyboarder] Mike Herting: The Music Of Charlie Mariano

Glad to see the Monday Michiru item added!

Not of discographical import but perhaps of personal interest to you is that Michiru is Mariano's daughter with Toshiko Akioshi. They had no contact for years, but were finally reunited as a jazz festival in the late 1990s and have been in contact ever since. This song is about Monday's reconcillaition in her own mind/spirit with not having her dad around for so long, and i actually pretty touching, if you can let stuff like that get to you. Mariano plays quite well on it too.

Of more direct discographical interest is that the album also had Japanese release, and was actually more of a JApanese release than a German one.

Also, Basement Jaxx chopped the whole thing up (waaaaay up) and put it back together for a remix that's been out in several formats. Not sure if that's within the scope of your discography, but Mariano's notes do appear. Just thought I'd let you know.

Glad to see the Monday Michiru item added!

Not of discographical import but perhaps of personal interest to you is that Michiru is Mariano's daughter with Toshiko Akioshi. ....

Yep, I mention the relation to Toshiko Akiyoshi and Monday Michiru on the Bands page. Though I've to introduce Monday on that page. Btw, the picture of Charlie Mariano on the Pictures page had been taken by Monday Michiru.

Of more direct discographical interest is that the album also had Japanese release, and was actually more of a JApanese release than a German one.

Also, Basement Jaxx chopped the whole thing up (waaaaay up) and put it back together for a remix that's been out in several formats. Not sure if that's within the scope of your discography, but Mariano's notes do appear. Just thought I'd let you know.

Actually I'd listed "Double Image" on the Compilations/Samplers/Various page - if Monday (who - btw - is married to trumpeter Alex Sipiagin from Russia) wasn't Charlie Mariano's daughter.

I got the EmArcy 538 781-2 release of "Double Image", and unfortuantely it hasn't any notes written by Charlie Mariano. If you can provide me with a scan of those notes I'd love to add them to the page.

stopped working for a moment to work on my google skills :) the gemm page has quite a bit of the information you need on the thilo von westernhagen lp, the ebay is cheaper...

gemm

ebay

1982 ORIGINAL LP. COMPOSER AND PIANIST THILO VON WESTERNHAGEN PERFORMS MODERN JAZZ WITH: CHARLIE MARIANO (SOPRANO- AND ALTOSAX), PETER WEIHE (GUITAR, ELECTR. GUITAR), ELLEN HOMILIUS (VIBES, PERCUSSION) / EDE BRUMUND-RUETHER (BASS) / JOACHIM LUHRMANN (PERCUSSION), PETER FRANKEN (DRUMS, PERCUSSION), WIELAND VON WESTERNHAGEN (VOCALS) // RECORDED 1982 AT VOGELSANG-STUDIO, WAHLSDORF ///

wbrec.westernh203.full.large.jpg

if you have very good eyesight, you can get the information for the jimmy ricks lp here: ebay

Edited by Niko