Lester Young/Count Basie Mosaic Announced!

Ron S

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice playlist, although all of those tracks won't be on the Mosaic since Pres doesn't solo on some of them.

Right, I just wanted to show how Mosaic could have almost squeezed the complete Basie Columbia recordings with Young in the band onto four discs, including the material where Young doesn't solo but is present in the section. Alas, I was dead wrong, haha. My Basie collection is missing the Neatwork discs of alternate takes and after looking them up on Amazon, they include 25, count 'em, 25 more alternates of Basie's Columbia period that I have never heard. NOW add in Mosaic's 13 new discoveries and that brings the grand total to to 126 tracks, which would require six discs. Thus, completists like myself will have to sit and stew for a while, but I'll still preorder this box as soon as it's available.

(And by the way, that was just a selection taken from my Pres Itunes playlist...the complete thing runs to 859 tracks in chronological order! Can never have too much Pres...)

Ricky

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Nice playlist, although all of those tracks won't be on the Mosaic since Pres doesn't solo on some of them.

Right, I just wanted to show how Mosaic could have almost squeezed the complete Basie Columbia recordings with Young in the band onto four discs, including the material where Young doesn't solo but is present in the section. Alas, I was dead wrong, haha. My Basie collection is missing the Neatwork discs of alternate takes and after looking them up on Amazon, they include 25, count 'em, 25 more alternates of Basie's Columbia period that I have never heard. NOW add in Mosaic's 13 new discoveries and that brings the grand total to to 126 tracks, which would require six discs. Thus, completists like myself will have to sit and stew for a while, but I'll still preorder this box as soon as it's available.

(And by the way, that was just a selection taken from my Pres Itunes playlist...the complete thing runs to 859 tracks in chronological order! Can never have too much Pres...)

Ricky

dippermouth.blogspot.com

If it's 126 tracks at 3 minutes, it would fit onto 5 discs, and it wouldn't make that much of a difference to potential buyers, I guess. Even if they spread it to 6 discs at roughly 60 minutes (instead of 75) playing time, I'd still prefer a complete Basie/Prez Columbia set to a 4CD one with all the tracks including Prez soloing!

Maybe there's a licensing reason they didn't do a complete set, maybe Sony is stupidly holding back in case they decide to do a set in the future (we know they won't).

It's frustrating, mildly so, though I confess. . .I do like the Presian structuring. .. because I do love Lester Willis!

If it's 126 tracks at 3 minutes, it would fit onto 5 discs, and it wouldn't make that much of a difference to potential buyers, I guess. Even if they spread it to 6 discs at roughly 60 minutes (instead of 75) playing time, I'd still prefer a complete Basie/Prez Columbia set to a 4CD one with all the tracks including Prez soloing!

Yea, that would make a lot of sense.

When I first bought the chronological classic Count Basie discs, I really enjoyed hearing the remaining tracks without Pres solos, some of which I was completely unfamiliar with. Since the only comprehensive reissue of this material was The Lester Young Story, many of these tracks were completely out of print in the 70s and 80s. At least now, they are available in some form.

I want a Prez/Basie 1943-1944 set.

Badly.

Not a bad idea at all. If they put the Savoy, Jubilee, V-Disc, and Lang-Worth studio material together with the existing live broadcasts, this project could amount to 5 discs or so of dynamite not-often-heard music.

Should we write Michael C. a line about this?

Edited by John L

That 43/44 set sounds like a great idea!

And to me it's rather obvious that Basie has selling potential too - they did the two Roulette sets, both of which are hard to find, then they did the Clef/Verve box, and now this Prez/Basie box, so... I'd be in on that 43/44 box, for sure! Why not someone drop them a mail about it!

As for this Prez/Basie set - I got word (from Scott Wenzel via a friend) that it's too late to change anything about it and thus it's going to be a 4CD set with just those tunes included where Pres takes solos. Too bad, but it seems definitive.

• 2 weeks later...

As for this Prez/Basie set - I got word (from Scott Wenzel via a friend) that it's too late to change anything about it and thus it's going to be a 4CD set with just those tunes included where Pres takes solos. Too bad, but it seems definitive.

I hope that "solos" here is interpreted loosely to include obligatos. God forbid that Mosaic should make the same mistake that Sony did for their 4-disc set and leave out "I Left My Baby." Pres' work on that track is just UNREAL.

I hope that "solos" here is interpreted loosely to include obligatos. God forbid that Mosaic should make the same mistake that Sony did for their 4-disc set and leave out "I Left My Baby." Pres' work on that track is just UNREAL.

Couldn't agree more ... I STILL remember when I first heard it, well over 40 years ago now... like hearing the Voice of the Cosmos ... (may have had a little something at the time) ... :rolleyes:

Q

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more ... I STILL remember when I first heard it, well over 40 years ago now... like hearing the Voice of the Cosmos ... (may have had a little something at the time) ... :rolleyes:

Q

The same with me - first heard it on Columbia Masterpieces Series vinyl record...

Why not trying to add Library of Congress live, unissued material?

Edited by mmilovan

Interesting. This is not meat and potatos for me

MG

No, it's Ham And Eggs. Or Pound Cake.

Ah, but would it be too one-sided in concentrating on gret recordings at the expense of lesser material and even crap? I'd not buy it if that were the case. I want the crap too - actually, in particular, I think.

MG

Interesting. This is not meat and potatos for me

MG

No, it's Ham And Eggs. Or Pound Cake.

Ah, but would it be too one-sided in concentrating on gret recordings at the expense of lesser material and even crap? I'd not buy it if that were the case. I want the crap too - actually, in particular, I think.

MG

Crap? Even the Apple (Jump) is rather tasty.

Well, Peas An' Rice An' Coconut Oil" won't be, but Ham and Eggs, Pound Cake, and Apple Jump will be, as Pres takes solos on the latter three.

There is no conspiracy here to leave out "crap." Everything with Lester Young solos will be included without exception (as I understand).