Bethlehem Porgy and Bess

gmonahan

I recently got hold of a used copy of the single cd (as opposed to the double) "A jazz version of highlights from the opera Porgy and Bess" on Bethlehem. It's a wacky record, and from what little I can find out, some (much?) of it was compiled from other Bethlehem cds. Does anybody have a partial or complete personnel with recording dates for this record? There's some bright trumpet solo work that *sounds* to me a bit like Conte Candoli, but I'm not sure, and there are at least two different trombonists, one of whom is obviously Rosolino. Any help appreciated!

Greg M.

This should give you some idea. I had the original LP set and it was more than a mere gathering of existing material--a very unusual set, it is one of the few complete Porgy and Bess recordings available, and probably the only one with whites in the title roles.

Only $10 for the remastered two disc set--you can't go wrong!

Yes!

And while the 2CD set doesn't give complete track-by-track line-ups, it has an extensive booklet coming along, with synopsis etc. Very nice package!

Thanks for the responses! I still wish I could find a personnel though--it's the goofball collector in me. I'd seen the Amazon listing, but somehow missed seeing Fagerquist listed. Makes sense that the trumpet would be his. I always liked his work. I may decide to get the full 2-cd set, but doesn't that have a narration by Al "Jazzbo" Collins?! I'm not sure I'm up for that!! :rolleyes:

Greg M.

EXLP 1 Mel Torme/Frances Faye, and others - Porgy And Bess

Cat Anderson, Willie Cook, Clark Terry (tp); Ray Nance (tp, vln, vo); Quentin Jackson, John Saunders, Britt Woodman (tb); Russell Procope (cl, as); Jimmy Hamilton (cl, ts); Johnny Hodges (as); Paul Gonzalves (ts); Harry Carney (bars); Duke Ellington (p); Jimmy Woode (b); Sam Woodyard (d). Chicago, IL, February 7 & 8, 1956.

Summertime

Frank Beach, Buddy Childers, Don Fagerquist, Maynard Ferguson, Roy Linn, Howard McGhee, Uan Rasey (tp); Bob Enevoldsen, Herbie Harper, Joe Howard, Tommy Pederson, Frank Rosolino, Lloyd Ulyate (tb); John Cave, Vince DeRosa (frh); Albert Pollan (tu); Sam Most (fl); Bill Holman (ts, cl); Ralph Sharon, Claude Williamson (p); Stan Levey (d); Irv Kluger, Alvin Stoller (d, timp, vib); Russ Garcia (arr, cond); 10 violin, 2 viola, 1 violoncello. Los Angeles, CA, 1957?

Introduction

Crap Game Fugue

Crown And Robbins Fight

Storm Music

Howard McGhee (tp); Sam Most (fl, cl, as); Betty Roche (vo, (Clara)); unidentified rhythm. Same location, date.

Summertime

Summertime
(reprise)

-

Don Fagerquist (tp); Bob Enevoldsen (vtb); Bill Holman (ts); Claude Williamson (p); Max Bennett (b); Stan Levey (d); Frank Rosolino (vo, tb, (Jake)). Same location, date.

A Woman Is A Sometime Thing

It Takes A Long Pull To Get There

It Takes A Long Pull To Get There
(reprise)

Mel Torme (vo, (Porgy)). Same location, date.

They Pass By Singing

I Can't Puzzle This Thing Out

The Buzzard Song

I Got Plenty Of Nuthin'
(reprise)

Sallie Blair (vo, (Serena)); Ralph Carmichael, Berry Joyce, James Joyce, Ernest Newton, Sam Pfnerm, Toni Stevens (back vo); John Doling, Beverly Kelly, Pat Moran, Johnny Whited (chorus); Al Collins (nar). Same location, date.

Gone, Gone, Gone

My Man Is Gone Now

Mel Torme (vo, (Porgy)) replaces Blair. Same location, date.

Overflow

I'm On My Way

omit Torme. Same location, date

Train Song

Somebody Knockin'

Doctor Jesus
(reprise)

Clara, Don't Be Downhearted

Good Mornin'

Howard McGhee (tp); Ralph Sharon (p); Max Bennett (b); Stan Levey (d); Mel Torme (vo, (Porgy)). Same location, date.

I Got Plenty Of Nuthin'

Frances Faye (vo, (Bess)); Mel Torme (vo, (Porgy)). Same location, date.

Bess, You Is My Woman Now

I Loves You, Porgy

Don Fagerquist (tp); Herbie Harper (tb); Bill Holman (ts); Alvin Stoller (d); Betty Roche (vo, (Clara)). Same location, date.

It Ain't Necessarily So

Don Fagerquist (tp); Bob Enevoldsen (vtb); Bill Holman (ts); Claude Williamson (p); Max Bennett (b); Stan Levey (d); George Kirby (vo, (Sportin' Life)). Same location, date.

It Ain't Necessarily So

Frances Faye (vo, (Bess)); Johnny Hartman (vo, (Crown)). Same location, date.

What Do You Want With Bess?

Sallie Blair (vo, (Serena)). Same location, date.

Doctor Jesus

Loulie Jean Norman (vo, (Strawberry Woman)). Same location, date.

Street Cries: Strawberry Woman

Bob Dorough (vo, (Clab Man)). Same location, date.

Street Cries: Crab Man

Johnny Hartman (vo, (Crown)). Same location, date.

If God Wants To Kill Me

Howard McGhee (tp); Sam Most (fl, cl, as); Johnny Hartman (vo, (Crown)); unidentified rhythm. Same location, date.

A Red Headed Woman

George Kirby (vo, (Sportin' Life)). Same location, date.

There's A Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon For New York

Loulie Jean Norman (vo, (Strawberry Woman)); Mel Torme (vo, (Porgy)). Same location, date.

Oh Bess, Oh Where's My Bess?

Herbie Mann (fl); Dick Healey (fl, cl); Erroll Buddle (ts, bars, cl); Jack Brokensha (vib); Bryce Rohde (p); Sal Salvador (g); Jimmy Gannon (b); Nick Stabulas (d); Joe Derise (vo, (Peter/The Honey Man)). NYC, 1957?

The Honey Man

Street Cries: The Honey Man

Edited by Christiern

Chris,

Your generous suggestion far surpassed the meager skills of this particular Luddite, so I just deleted mine. Yours is much prettier--FAR more readable!

I'd be interested in responses to JSngry's query. Seems kind of harsh that one failed record project would have put a label out of business, but I guess Bethlehem was never exactly a big-time operation!

Greg M.

Well, that's just what I've heard.

But actually, Bethlehem was doing ok saleswise, I believe. Chris Connor was selling well, & some of their other things did ok as well.

I've seen the original package of this set - it's a freakin' box. Figure in the cost for that + all the sessions, and you got a much larger than usual outlay for a label of this nature.

I've seen the original package of this set - it's a freakin' box. Figure in the cost for that + all the sessions, and you got a much larger than usual outlay for a label of this nature.

Not to mention the cost of those red handkerchiefs tucked into the cover of every box-set :P

Full marks to Bethlehem for completeness , but from a jazz perspective this set should be purchased only by those who already have the Davis , Potts , Lowe , Collette , and Burns versions . After viewing this clip it's hard not to fault Bethlehem for giving the leads to Torme and Faye rather than Hartman and Roche .

Wow...

That should set the cause of getting past White Guilt back several millennia.

Or more.

Just as I always envisioned it -- a narcissistic/masochistic heterosexual singing to a lesbian.

You mean EVERYBODY doesn't envision it that way?! Damn! There's another of my illusions shot to hell!

Though, come to think of it, it may be a *little* unfair to refer to Mel as a lesbian.

Greg M.

Wow...

That should set the cause of getting past White Guilt back several millennia.

Or more.

Just as I always envisioned it -- a narcissistic/masochistic heterosexual singing to a lesbian.

You mean EVERYBODY doesn't envision it that way?! Damn! There's another of my illusions shot to hell!

Though, come to think of it, it may be a *little* unfair to refer to Mel as a lesbian.

Greg M.

:lol:

Lengthy, very interesting on-line bio of Frances Faye:

http://www.tyleralpern.com/Faye.html

Her younger brother Marty Faye was a fixture of my youth as an acerbic, lizard-like Chicago DJ (he played a fair amount of jazz) and (later) TV pitchman. Marty (giving a snapshot of his own style) once said in an interview that Frances wasn't his sister but his father.

From that bio:

Another drummer had a different take on working for Frances when he was interviewed:

Q: This is Jimmy Nicol...he appeared last night at Chequers with Frances Faye. You played drums with her, though, I believe, during her act, didn't you?

JN: Yes, her whole second... second performance at the club, yeah.

Q: Isn't this difficult to do, not having worked with her before?

JN: If you've got soul, man, you can do it (Bob Rodgers 6-12-64).

Jimmy Nicol? The Temporary Beatle?

Yes:

Frances also met Lana Cantrell down under thru Peter Allen. They helped arrange some of her first US bookings and hosted her when she first arrived. "That kid couldn't even make a cup of coffee," Frances fondly joked. In 1964 they were there when the Beatles hit and Frances shared drummer Jimmy Nicol with the Fab Four when Ringo took ill.