Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daiwai

Nessa Records question -- Les Stances A Sophie

9 posts in this topic

Chuck, I hope you could help me here.

I have seen Les Stances A Sophie LP with the label in blue/white and in dark pink/white. Which one is the earliest pressing?

Stereo or Mono?

Thanks for your help,

Daiwai

All pressings were stereo. The "dark pink/white" labels were used from first issue through 1977.

All pressings were stereo. The "dark pink/white" labels were used from first issue through 1977.

Thanks Chuck. So the blue/white labels were used from 1977 onward? Which pressing gives better quality of sound?

Thanks again.

The "blue/white" labels were only used for a couple of years, then a third (all rose colored) label was used.

With one exception (first pressing of n-2 - pressed at Chess) I made my records at Wakefield Mfg until 1978 when I made a distribution deal with Flying Fish records. They shifted pressing to their preferred plant and printed the teal/white labels. Pressings were ok for a while but they really messed up a new release and I insisted they press my issues at Wakefield. They complied and after the contract expired I continued to press there.

Concerning sound of "Sophie", I think the sound should be the same since the metal masters were the same. Quality of the pressings could be fine or not. Your ears will tell.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

The "blue/white" labels were only used for a couple of years, then a third (all rose colored) label was used.

With one exception (first pressing of n-2 - pressed at Chess) I made my records at Wakefield Mfg until 1978 when I made a distribution deal with Flying Fish records. They shifted pressing to their preferred plant and printed the teal/white labels. Pressings were ok for a while but they really messed up a new release and I insisted they press my issues at Wakefield. They complied and after the contract expired I continued to press there.

Concerning sound of "Sophie", I think the sound should be the same since the metal masters were the same. Quality of the pressings could be fine or not. Your ears will tell.

For whatever reason, the second and third paragraphs of your response only showed up in the reply box. Anyway, thanks for the information. Do you still have some copies of Sophie?

I have to admit that this discussion made me curious, and I pulled out the Nessa albums which I purchased in the 1970s to see what colors are on the labels. I had never thought about it before.

My copy of "People In Sorrow" has the blue and white label.

Chuck, if you had done nothing with your life but release "Les Stances a Sophie" and "People in Sorrow", you would have left the world a better place!

On 5/15/2008 at 2:31 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I have a "blue/white" copy of Lester Bowie's Numbers 1 & 2 from that era with an oddity on Side 2. There's a pause following take 6 of "Number 2" followed by a reference or audio tone before the blowout from take 7 begins. I also have an earlier pressing (green top, pink/orange label, Madison address) where the transition runs smoothly.

What a perfect time for me to plug our August release. The editing error you mention afflicts all of the Flying Fish distributed records with the white cover. The error was mine (teaching me to listen to samples again and again) and it was not corrected during that era.

Our August cd release (50th Anniversary) is a new 24 bit mastering of the original lp program without the error. I thought the correct program of the first issue should be available. YMMV.

61OxzOx%2BBtL._SX355_.jpg

Thanks for the info. Glad to see Numbers 1 & 2 coming out in original form, though it is fascinating hearing the evolution of "Number 2" on the box and All the Numbers. Definitely a session worth having in many formats.