Gillespie and Parker new Uptown releases

jazzbo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the March '46 Bird at the finale Club is available on other than the Philology Vol.18 (848.2), and poss. in better sound?

Helmut Schwarzer

is it possible that five of the parker tracks are on the philology bird´s eyes vol. 17?

No duplication.

I just picked up these Uptown Bird and Diz releases. Fantastic! Uptown has done it again. Bird is in great shape on this high fidelity broadcast from the time of the recording ban in the Spring of 1948. Diz at the Spotlight is in much better fidelity than previous releases that I have heard.

wonderful recording (just heard it after my holidays for the first time a few minutes ago) but incomplete parts of five tracks are in fact on the philology bird´s eyes vol. 17. but here we have the complete tunes and in better sound quality. and to all the hardcore charlie parker addicts, please correct your discograpies: the track 5 "ornithology" is well known as from c. march/april 1946 with the nat king cole trio from los angeles. the piano solo is edited on all issues. it is issued on phoenix lp 17 and spotlite 123 "yardbird in lotusland". on cd on the french media7 masters of jazz 121 and on philology bird´s eyes vol. 18. now we know it is from the washington concert. and complete!!

yes, uptown has done it again!!

keep boppin´

marcel

Marcel:

I am very sorry for misleading you over Bird's Eyes 17. I thought that your comment was in reference to the 1947 Bands for Bonds recordings, and had completely forgotten that Bird's Eyes 17 also includes snipits from 1948 at the end. As you write, however, they cannot compare with what we have now.

Also, thanks for pointing out that this Ornithology is the same one that had earlier been identified as being from 1946. I hadn't noticed that.