Help! I can't bring myself to unload my old rock records!

blind-blake

There are significant numbers of kids into so-called "classic rock," WAY more than than the numbers of kids when classic rock was current who listened to music from, say, the 1930s and 40s.

can only confirm this, thinking about the kids in rock bands i used to know like ten years ago (when i was a kid who somtimes helped out in bands when a saxophone was needed) (and many kids were in rock bands) most of them viewed rock as some sort of continuum from the sixties on (with some horrible things having happened in the seventies) and listened to all those decades (and i do know dozens of people my age or younger who had the Who or the Beatles or Hendrix as their favorite artists for long until starting to listen to newer stuff... (my own younger brother for instance, no idea where he got the exposition, not from me and not from our parents...)) and buying vinyl was often enough a cheap option

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just do a little calculating. Regardless of whether you own 5000 LP's or 5000 CD's and even assuming you have a fixed time per day available for listening (really LISTENING, not just doodling in the background), how often is it humanly possible at all just to listen to EACH of these records in turn just ONE single time? Obviously a LOT of them just sit there and gather dust between the times you pull them out, especially if you are not one of those bookkeeping souls (who keep logs of when they listen to which records) but pull out whatever and whenever you feel like it (which means some get a spin far more frequently than others that in turn sit there even longer until - literally - their turn comes again). It just is a natural law that once any collection reaches a certain size you just CANNOT listen to each and every record very often anymore.

Agreed - I reached that point a long time ago. What I have done is set aside one bookcase with easy access for my top 500 or so CDs, and kind of alternate between that and the less accessible CDs (stashed behind books actually). I will even admit to having a box of CDs in the closet, but in this case they are CDs I am selling off (a bit too slowly for my taste). I am not interested in having crates of LPs in the garage that I never listen to, though I don't deny there is a nostaglic reason to treasure them. I have enough trouble storing the things that I occasionally listen to/use that I don't want things that I never listen to/use.

That would be tough for me (and I guess I am not the only one). There would be times when I'd listen mostly to 50s cool jazz and mainstream swing, and then again there are "swing or bop small-group" periods that blend smoothly into R&B, and then again "Western Swing and hot string band" periods that border on early rockabilly, etc. etc. How many "favorite cases" can you handle (especially if you consider some other not-so-essential discs might become very essential in a given listening context)? So it would almost be back to Stage One (= keep everything) :D

So again, the key question is: Do you want to keep all those items "just in case" so you would BE ABLE to listen to them at any moment? If you can make a clear cut and say you'd never ever regret removing this or that item (or an entire musical genre) from your collection, then fine. Somehow I coudn't.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I go through "genre" moods at regular intervals...at this particular point in time I'm in a "no hard bop zone", can't stand to hear any of it. Other types of jazz sound good to me, but you couldn't pay me to listen to a Blakey album right now.

But listening to Hendrix, CSN&Y, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Steely Dan....that stuff is making me feel good right now. So I'm glad I have access to it.

The mood will shift again and I'll be off on another tangent, but that's just the way I'm wired.

I go through "genre" moods at regular intervals...at this particular point in time I'm in a "no hard bop zone", can't stand to hear any of it. Other types of jazz sound good to me, but you couldn't pay me to listen to a Blakey album right now.

But listening to Hendrix, CSN&Y, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Steely Dan....that stuff is making me feel good right now. So I'm glad I have access to it.

The mood will shift again and I'll be off on another tangent, but that's just the way I'm wired.

Yep, 'mood' is key word for me too.

When I was younger, and poorer, I was always selling and buying records in order to get the 'genre' I liked at that precise moment. Now it would be frustrating not having Bach and Grateful Dead and Clash and Ayler and John Lee Hooker at the same time.

I am in the same boat with about 1000 rock LPs. I acquired about 400 in the last few years from others offloading to me, but now a basement reno is killing my storage space.

Why the sentimentality?

Could be the whole vinyl experience – holding the cardboard, taking out the sleeve, the smell, the needle hitting the vinyl. Or it could be just that fond memory of being 13 listening the The Wall when it just came out (my 1st record purchase!).

I think my Dark Side of the Moon copy still has a few “seeds” stuck in the middle of the gatefold.

Or it could be the anal pack rat instinct.

Now that I have 4 copies of DSOTM, what to do? I have been begging people to take them, and nobody is accepting. Maybe I was foolish for taking the lot. But I will have to purge by the end of the summer, and will keep some essentials.

I also recently purged many of my university books. Similar to a poster above – I was a philosophy major and I had tons of stuff – philosophy and otherwise – that I will never read again (or never read in the first place) . I pared everything down to “essentials” and donated about 400 to the library. There’s got to be some weirdo into French Structuralism still. And I don’t miss or even notice the absence. Maybe the same will happen with Foreigner, Kansas and Styx.

However: All the Zappa vinyl stays!

Speaking of being a pack rat, how about my collection (which I just moved from one house to another) of all of the Down Beat magazines from 1976 to the present, and Radio Free Jazz, later known as Jazz Times, from 1978 to the present? Why am I keeping them?

I wish both magazines would put their entire contents on a CD, like The New Yorker, so that I would have a much more compact item that I never look at.

Disagree, Hot Ptah.

Agreed that I still need to get rid of most of the c.1974 to 1996 copies of the German jazz mag JAZZ PODIUM too (which I bought as part of a deal that netted me a virtually complete collection from 1953 to 1996, of which I kept only the issues up to 1966) myself so I know how you feel but on the other hand my bookshelf has received a lot more occupants in the last 4 or 5 years when I accumulated several decades' worth of copies of Swedish, French and British jazz mags from the 30s to the early 60s (and some assorted mid-50s Down Beats too). But there definitely is nothing that beats the appeal of the actual paper copies of those mags. CDs will never, never, never provide the same appeal for that!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Speaking of being a pack rat, how about my collection (which I just moved from one house to another) of all of the Down Beat magazines from 1976 to the present, and Radio Free Jazz, later known as Jazz Times, from 1978 to the present? Why am I keeping them?

I wish both magazines would put their entire contents on a CD, like The New Yorker, so that I would have a much more compact item that I never look at.

Hell yeah! :tup

... But there definitely is nothing that beats the appeal of the actual paper copies of those mags. CDs will never, never, never provide the same appeal for that!

Seek professional help ... :rfr:crazy::lol:

Uh oh ... you're about to make me feel real bad next time I pull out some of those editor-bound volumes ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But on the other hand, browsing through those copies in my lounge chair is waaay more comfortable than having to stick glued in front of a computer screen. :lol:

... But there definitely is nothing that beats the appeal of the actual paper copies of those mags. CDs will never, never, never provide the same appeal for that!

Seek professional help ... :rfr:crazy::lol:

Uh oh ... you're about to make me feel real bad next time I pull out some of those editor-bound volumes ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But on the other hand, browsing through those copies in my lounge chair is waaay more comfortable than having to stick glued in front of a computer screen. :lol:

Uh-oh ... you're right! ... :rfr To my sudden horror and disgust, I realize now that I'm the one who needs professional help!

Thanks for all of your replies! It's given me lots of food for thought. Are any of you thinking of holding onto your vinyl just in case your kids get into your old rock stuff? That's part of my thinking.

For some reason that reminded me of women who hang on to their wedding dress in case their daughter wants to wear it when she gets married, when you don't even have a daughter yet. :blink:

Having said that, it was interesting that my daughter is getting married next week. When she was picking out music for the event she was somewhat impressed that I had one of the selections

Stand By Me by Ben E. King on a 45. I was cool to her.....................for a second. :party:

Edited by patricia

Got mono Capitol Beatles, mono London Stones, early Parlophones of Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, original Decca of Stones' "Satanic Majesty", first pressing of Blond on Blond. Have not played them in at least 30 years. What should I do?

Post pics of 'em all at Hoffman Forum and ignite an honest to goodness deadwax gawkin', catalogue number crunchin' & spewin' geek-a-thon of a circle jerk? :excited:

Got mono Capitol Beatles, mono London Stones, early Parlophones of Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, original Decca of Stones' "Satanic Majesty", first pressing of Blond on Blond. Have not played them in at least 30 years. What should I do?

Post pics of 'em all at Hoffman Forum and ignite an honest to goodness deadwax gawkin', catalogue number crunchin' & spewin' geek-a-thon of a circle jerk? :excited:

That much Beatles discussion could be enough to crash their server!

Like TTK said, PM me. :excited:

Use them for skeet shooting.

PULL!

skeet.jpg.w560h772.jpg

All my vinyl -purchased from 1970 until the late 80s - is now in the loft, apart from things I don't have on CD in one form or another.

I went through a phase in the early 80s when I hardly touched my rock collection. But I then found I got just as much enjoyment from those records as from anything I acquired subsequently in the jazz/classical/folk fields. So much of it has been bought again on CD in the last 25 years or so (along with music from that era I never owned or even knew). Whatever simplicities much of that music might have is more the compensated for by the nostalgic charge the tracks contain.

I recall my parents telling me at the time that I would grow out of my early 70s collection. Doesn't seem to have happened (probably says more about me than the music but...).

All my vinyl -purchased from 1970 until the late 80s - is now in the loft, apart from things I don't have on CD in one form or another.

I went through a phase in the early 80s when I hardly touched my rock collection. But I then found I got just as much enjoyment from those records as from anything I acquired subsequently in the jazz/classical/folk fields. So much of it has been bought again on CD in the last 25 years or so (along with music from that era I never owned or even knew). Whatever simplicities much of that music might have is more the compensated for by the nostalgic charge the tracks contain.

I recall my parents telling me at the time that I would grow out of my early 70s collection. Doesn't seem to have happened (probably says more about me than the music but...).

As I have mentioned before, our autistic, severely mentally retarded son basically lives for music. It is one of his very few pleasures in life. So I continually experiment with exposing him to different artists, to see how he reacts. He cannot speak or communicate at all, really, but he provides emotional responses to music which cannot be misinterpreted.

Recently I played some early 1970s albums for him which he loves. He is getting great happiness from "Chicago II", "Chicago III", "The Yes Album", "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge". I don't think he had heard Yes before.

I had not heard these albums in their entirety in over 30 years. I was surprised that I like them all. Listening to those Chicago albums with my jazz and classical ears, which I lacked when they were first released, I am surprised at how much of the music is avant garde or close to it, not at all commercialized--especially "Chicago III". Yet these albums were so immensely popular at the time.

I was very surprised by how good I thought the Yes albums sounded. I played the new Brian Blade Fellowship CD after "Close to the Edge" and "Fragile", and couldn't help thinking that the Blade album is not nearly as interesting, that Blade needs to try harder next time.

There is something real in the notion that some of the rock music of that time was really good.

I've been buying up a fair few of the above mentioned albums on vinyl over the last few years as I can usually find something in good sound for a few quid. Prime examples have been Bob Dylan's Another Side Of..., Captain Beefheart's first album, etc etc. My record collection tends to keep its value in the main part though as I tend to have expensive tastes. Lots of Krautrock and experimental exotica.