Coleman Hawkins "dali"(stash 538)

l p

live Washington D.C. 1959, and Brussels, Belgium 1962.

info from cd booklet:

Brussels june 4 and 5, 1962.

Mickey Baker (g); Geroge Arvanitas (p); kimmy woode (b); Kansas Fields (d)

(video) 1 Disorder at the Border 9:17

2 Daybreak in Dinant 8:02

3 Stan's Palace 8:40

(video) 4 Dali (sax solo) 4:33

(video) 5 Riviera Blues (aka "blues in G") 6:49

(video) 6 Rifftide 9:06

7 On My Way 4:43

bayou club, Washington D.C. in 1959

w/ eldridge, wilson, decker, dean

8 Birth of the Blues 6:02

9 Bean and the Boys 8:43

10 Bayou Atmosphere 8:28

Tracks 1, 4, 5, 6 are available on video. Are tracks 2, 3, and 7 really from brussels 1962. From a radio broadcast, or a destroyed/unissued video? have these three tracks (2, 3, 7) been issued elsewhere as being from a different date/location.

thanks

Edited by l p

thanks.

Daybreak in Dinant 8:02

is on "An Introduction to Coleman Hawkins" [Fuel 2000]

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:wxfixqldldte

i don't know what the liner notes claim on that cd.

there is also "Disorder at the Border" Spotlite-LP listed with all the "brussels" tunes (listed as birdland 1952)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:anfwxqygldje

but allmusic track list for that lp is incorrect.

the correct track list for the spotlight is at

http://www.horacesilver.com/silverpages/in...&recordID=7

http://www.horacesilver.com/silverpages/in...&recordID=8

Another AMG screwup.

Btw, The Spotlite LP gives slightly different info from that given in the Silver discography.

Birdland, September 13, 1952 Roy Eldridge (tp), Coleman Hawkins (ts), Horace Silver (p), Curley Russell (b), Connie Kay (d)

-Disorder at the Border

-The Blue Room

-Stuffy

Birdland, September 6, 1952 - Howard McGhee (tp), Coleman Hawkins (ts), Horace Silver (p), Curley Russell (b), Art Blakey (d)

-Rifftide

-I Can't get Started

-Disorder at the Border

London, date unknown

-The Hawk Talks (interview)

Furthermore, Jepsen's "Jazz Records" shows Art Blakey for both dates!

I have the 4 video tracks from Brussels, 1962 on VHS from Shanachie Home Video, called "Tenor Legends: Coleman Hawkins and Dexter Gordon". (It adds 2 1970 tracks from 1969 or 1970 by Dexter Gordon in Copenhagen). These are 4 of my favorite Coleman Hawkins tracks, even with (or perhaps because of) the unusual sidemen. The unaccompanied sax solo is titled "For Adolphe Sax" instead of "Dali" on my version. Someone posted these to YouTube, about 6 months ago, but they seem to have been pulled.

I also have an LP of the 1952 club date with Art Blakey and Horace Silver, and Roy Eldridge or Charles McGhee alternating on trumpet. I found this on a Boris Rose bootleg almost 30 years ago. My LP has the title "Disorder at the Border", since the album starts and ends with 2 different versions of this uptempo blues. This music would excite me more if the sound quality were better. Has anyone bothered to remaster it?

I also have an LP of the 1952 club date with Art Blakey and Horace Silver, and Roy Eldridge or Charles McGhee alternating on trumpet. I found this on a Boris Rose bootleg almost 30 years ago. My LP has the title "Disorder at the Border", since the album starts and ends with 2 different versions of this uptempo blues. This music would excite me more if the sound quality were better. Has anyone bothered to remaster it?

The Boris Rose LP and the Spotlite contain the same performances. Spotlite also includes a Hawkins interview.

• 1 year later...

Daybreak in Dinant 8:02

on "An Introduction to Coleman Hawkins" [Fuel 2000]

and on 'dali' cd.

audio sample at

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...33:fifpx9trldde

does anyone know the real name of this tune, and on what lp it was originally released. it may be live, but it doesn't look like it's going to be on the new brussels '62 dvd.

http://jazzicons.com/ji4_hawkins.html

Edited by l p

I have the 4 video tracks from Brussels, 1962 on VHS from Shanachie Home Video, called "Tenor Legends: Coleman Hawkins and Dexter Gordon". (It adds 2 1970 tracks from 1969 or 1970 by Dexter Gordon in Copenhagen). These are 4 of my favorite Coleman Hawkins tracks, even with (or perhaps because of) the unusual sidemen. The unaccompanied sax solo is titled "For Adolphe Sax" instead of "Dali" on my version. Someone posted these to YouTube, about 6 months ago, but they seem to have been pulled.

My VHS rip (30 minutes long, a french TV broadcast from the early 1990s) is still available on Dailymotion (I'm not the uploader):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1c3z_coleman-hawkins_music

Edited by Claude

one of my more obscure (i think) bean machine cds is called "high school hawk" and its like a tape of a school dance bean played in a quintet w/ a trombone player

that sounds if itĀ“s the "uptown" release "jamestown, n.y., 1958" with ted donnelly on trombone at the chi sigma chi high school fraternity sweetheart dacnce at hotel jamestown april 19. (what a name....)

on what bootleg label you have this?

keep boppinĀ“

marcel

My VHS rip (30 minutes long, a french TV broadcast from the early 1990s) is still available on Dailymotion (I'm not the uploader):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1c3z_coleman-hawkins_music

thanks for the link! thatĀ“s cool!! here is what meeker said:

COLEMAN HAWKINS

Belgium 1962 ā€“ m ā€“ tv

dir Yannick Bruynoghe

Songs: "Blowing for Sax"; "Disorder at the

border" by Coleman Hawkins; "South of

France blues"; "Hawk hunt".

With: Coleman Hawkins, tenor sax; George

Arvanitas, piano; Mickey Baker, guitar; Jimmy

Woode, acoustic double bass; Kansas Fields,

drums.

Recorded in Brussels, Belgium.

keep boppinĀ“

marcel

live Washington D.C. 1959, and Brussels, Belgium 1962.

info from cd booklet:

Brussels june 4 and 5, 1962.

Mickey Baker (g); Geroge Arvanitas (p); kimmy woode (b); Kansas Fields (d)

(video) 1 Disorder at the Border 9:17

2 Daybreak in Dinant 8:02

3 Stan's Palace 8:40

(video) 4 Dali (sax solo) 4:33

(video) 5 Riviera Blues (aka "blues in G") 6:49

(video) 6 Rifftide 9:06

7 On My Way 4:43

bayou club, Washington D.C. in 1959

w/ eldridge, wilson, decker, dean

8 Birth of the Blues 6:02

9 Bean and the Boys 8:43

10 Bayou Atmosphere 8:28

Tracks 1, 4, 5, 6 are available on video. Are tracks 2, 3, and 7 really from brussels 1962. From a radio broadcast, or a destroyed/unissued video? have these three tracks (2, 3, 7) been issued elsewhere as being from a different date/location.

thanks

Wow. From Picasso to Dali......

Some good tunes and players on there. I've never actually heard Mickey Baker. We always used to see his books around as kid guitar players. How does he sound?

Some good tunes and players on there. I've never actually heard Mickey Baker. We always used to see his books around as kid guitar players. How does he sound?

I don't know that album, but dude - Mickey Baker is somebody for whom the word "seminal" would not be misused. The cat was in that neither/nor in-between zone of jazz and R&B in the early-mid 50s and he really could play.

I don't know that album, but dude - Mickey Baker is somebody for whom the word "seminal" would not be misused. The cat was in that neither/nor in-between zone of jazz and R&B in the early-mid 50s and he really could play.

But often didn't; be careful about what you listen to.

MG

• 5 years later...

Another AMG screwup.

Btw, The Spotlite LP gives slightly different info from that given in the Silver discography.

Birdland, September 13, 1952 Roy Eldridge (tp), Coleman Hawkins (ts), Horace Silver (p), Curley Russell (b), Connie Kay (d)

-Disorder at the Border

-The Blue Room

-Stuffy

Birdland, September 6, 1952 - Howard McGhee (tp), Coleman Hawkins (ts), Horace Silver (p), Curley Russell (b), Art Blakey (d)

-Rifftide

-I Can't get Started

-Disorder at the Border

London, date unknown

Info on the Spotlite (as given above) contradicts the actual announcer heard on the LP. He gives Blakey on the date with Eldridge and Kay on the date with McGhee.

Another AMG screwup.

-Disorder at the Border

-The Blue Room

-Stuffy

-Rifftide

-I Can't get Started

-Disorder at the Border

London, date unknown

Info on the Spotlite (as given above) contradicts the actual announcer heard on the LP. He gives Blakey on the date with Eldridge and Kay on the date with McGhee.

what about that: http://pastdaily.com/2015/01/25/roy-eldridge-coleman-hawkins-all-stars-with-arthur-prysock-at-birdland-1952-past-daily-downbeat/

keep boppinĀ“

marcel

Another AMG screwup.

-Disorder at the Border

-The Blue Room

-Stuffy

-Rifftide

-I Can't get Started

-Disorder at the Border

London, date unknown

what about that: http://pastdaily.com/2015/01/25/roy-eldridge-coleman-hawkins-all-stars-with-arthur-prysock-at-birdland-1952-past-daily-downbeat/

keep boppinĀ“

marcel

Didn't listen, but the info in the write-up is consistent with the announcer on the LP: in the group w/Eldridge, you get Blakey, w/McGhee, you get Kay (or, according to the Silver site, Blakey, but then the announcer would have been drunk or blind or whatever).