Burn After Reading

Jazzmoose

Ooooh, my reaction was just the opposite. Loved it, while I thought both of those other films rather forgettable. (Yeah, I'm the one dude who didn't care for Lebowski.)

I like the Coen Brothers a lot, although I'm with RDK - I thought Lebowski was overrated. The new one is quite funny, with some great performances by McDormand and Malkovich.

I like the Coen Bros stuff a lot. I'm a huge fan of the Big Lebowski. Saw Burn After Reading, and thought it was OK. Pleasant diversion but didn't knock me out.

Somewhere I came across a discussion about the Coen Brothers that talked about their script writing. Apparently they script out every damn syllable of dialogue. So in a movie like the Lebowski, with all of the flustered stammering and cross talk among characters, it's exactly as the Brothers scripted it. I still can't decide if that makes me like the films more or like them less, but it's fascinating to consider as I watch some scenes play out.

Edit to add: I saw No Country... and liked it, although it didn't feel very Coen-esque to me, which is probably what they were going for. I did find myself getting distracted by the fact that most of the film was done in and around Albuquerque, including the "El Paso" scenes.

Edited by DukeCity

I didn't think it was as good as Lebowski but it was way better than Intolerable Cruelty. I find Zeta-Jones's acting painful and Clooney's overacting in that movie crossed the line into being annoying.

This was the first Coen Brothers film I've seen that didn't feel all that distinctively Coen Brothers. Most of the shots seemed like any director could have composed them.

I didn't think it was as good as Lebowski but it was way better than Intolerable Cruelty. I find Zeta-Jones's acting painful and Clooney's overacting in that movie crossed the line into being annoying.

Just to clear up my comments, I didn't think too much of Intolerable Cruelty either. My mention of it in my post was meant as a put down of Burn After Reading, not an endorsement. Personally, I found Clooney's overacting much more annoying in Burn After Reading. On the acting front, I thought most of the actors in Burn did a great job with what they had; I don't blame the actors at all. I just think the story was poorly written, as if they got to a point and said "fuck it; I'm not sure what we can do to fix this..let's go ahead and start filming."

Just to clear up my comments, I didn't think too much of Intolerable Cruelty either. My mention of it in my post was meant as a put down of Burn After Reading, not an endorsement. Personally, I found Clooney's overacting much more annoying in Burn After Reading. On the acting front, I thought most of the actors in Burn did a great job with what they had; I don't blame the actors at all. I just think the story was poorly written, as if they got to a point and said "fuck it; I'm not sure what we can do to fix this..let's go ahead and start filming."

The previews alone left me cold about this film. Everyone seemed to be over the top...and that can get real old, real fast. Somehow never saw Lebowski, so can't say nothin' about it. Intolerable Cruelty was pretty bad, but it did get better towards the end.

I am a fan of there's but the one film of their's I just flat out hate, is Raising Arizona. For the life of me, don't know why so many people love it.

I am a fan of there's but the one film of their's I just flat out hate, is Raising Arizona. For the life of me, don't know why so many people love it.

Can't say I actually hate it, but I think it's interesting that I don't remember it being thought highly of until after the Coen Brothers got big...

I love "Lebowski," which I rate as the Coen's (accidental?) masterpiece, and a film that will last.

As for the rest: we all have our opinions.

I dislike "Raising Arizona" and "The Hudsucker Proxy."

I liked some of "Barton Fink," though far from all of it.

I shrug my shoulders at "No Country for Old Men" and "The Man Who Wasn't There." I received "Intolerable Cruelty" as an adequate Hollywood comedy, but judged as a Coen flick it's strictly nowhere.

I actively avoided their "The Ladykillers," as I am a staunch fan of the original British Ealing Studios film of the same name, from which it was ripped-off.

I truly enjoyed "Fargo," and I rate "Millers's Crossing" and " Oh Brother Where Art Thou" towards the top of the brother's output.

Just my opinion.

Well, let me jump in.

My favorite would be The Big Lebowski, although I fully confess that part of it's charm is that I think I hung out with those people for a few years...

I would also rate Oh Brother and Fargo extremely high.

Millers Crossing I'd put pretty high, but not top tier, along with Blood Simple.

Intolerable Cruelty I would also rank as an "adequate Hollywood comedy", as Kalo puts it, but I expected more from the Coens. Perhaps I was just overrated them, though. I'd put Raising Arizona about here as well. Okay comedy, but nothing worth raving about.

The Man Who Wasn't There and the current Burn I'd put it the "don't bother to see" pile, something that shouldn't exist if the Coen Brothers were as good as their reputation.

I must confess to not seeing Hudsucker, No Country or Barton Fink. Yet. The Ladykillers I have no interest in seeing, having thrown it into the trash bin I have labeled "Pointless Remakes". I mean, damn; the original was a classic...why bother?

I still want to see "Burn After Reading."

Of the Coen brothers' films I've seen:

I remember enjoying "Raising Arizona," but it's been so long since I've seen it I couldn't tell you if I'd still enjoy it.

"Lebowski" was a big bore. Could never understand all the fuss about it. In fact, I never made it through the whole picture.

Truly enjoyed "O Brother Where Art Thou," and still do. "I'm the damn paderfamilia!!!"

Same goes for "Fargo," although I'm still not sure why McDormand got an Oscar. It was a good performance, to be sure; but was the well that dry that year for other nominees?

Sorry, but I LOVE Raising Arizona, I've probably seen it 20 times....

The only film they've done that I really "hate" is The Huducker Proxy and that's entirely because of the awful Katherine Hepburn/Rosalind Russell imitation performance given by "the actress that should not be"

I love "Lebowski," which I rate as the Coen's (accidental?) masterpiece, and a film that will last.

As for the rest: we all have our opinions.

I dislike "Raising Arizona" and "The Hudsucker Proxy."

I liked some of "Barton Fink," though far from all of it.

I shrug my shoulders at "No Country for Old Men" and "The Man Who Wasn't There." I received "Intolerable Cruelty" as an adequate Hollywood comedy, but judged as a Coen flick it's strictly nowhere.

I actively avoided their "The Ladykillers," as I am a staunch fan of the original British Ealing Studios film of the same name, from which it was ripped-off.

I truly enjoyed "Fargo," and I rate "Millers's Crossing" and " Oh Brother Where Art Thou" towards the top of the brother's output.

Just my opinion.

I must admit to agreeing with Kalo almost completely on this subject. (Is that a crime?)

I dare say I probably dislike Raising Arizona even more than Kalo.

Although Barton Fink had it's moments, overall I'd rate it as one of their failures, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Never saw The Man Who Wasn't There.

Other than those points, yeah, I'm with you 100% brother. :tup

Felt it was a good movie, is it their best no but is it better than the fare shown on screen hell yes. Enjoyed the acting of Pitt as a completely goofball character. On the laughaton meter, Big Lebowski is still my top.

The only movie from the bros i did not care was intolerable cruelty, thought the title was a clue what it would feel to watch that movie.

Ended up seeing Burn After Reading last night. My wife wanted to see it. Turned out to be not as bad as I feared, so I enjoyed myself. (As always, the best "movie helper" is low expectations.) Didn't at all appreciate it when (SPOILER!) Brad Pitt's character gets killed. His character was an oddly likeable goofball. But that's typical of the shit the Coen Bros. like to pull on their audience. I'd put it at second tier Coen Bros. at best, but enjoyable fluff.

Never saw The Man Who Wasn't There.

I actually liked The Man Who Wasn't There because it was a total departure from what the Cohens usually do. I thought it was as close to film noir as modern movies get. Beautiful black and white filming, rare these days. Billy Bob Thornton was particularly good. It lost me a little at the end, but otherwise, remarkable.

Blood Simple set the bar quite high for me when it comes to innovative plots and I've been an admirer of their work from the first.

Miller's Crossing is another favourite.

When I saw No Country For Old Men, I was somewhat disappointed. I think that because I had just seen Tommy Lee Jones in In The Valley Of Elah I couldn't get with the character he played in this one, so not his fault.

Blood Simple set the bar quite high for me when it comes to innovative plots and I've been an admirer of their work from the first.

Yeah, Blood Simple was awesome! Not just for plot, but (as I have come to expect from their movies) also for dialog. That bit about "anal up here" just had me rolling on the floor! :lol: Nobody captures everyday-stupid like the Coens!