Fred Frith, Henry Cow and other Canterbury sorta bands

7/4

Remastered editions of the two Hatfield and the North albums are about to appear.

I love these two records - bought them as the came out on LP in '74 and '75. The first CD edition of'The Rotters Club' has always been fine to my ears but the first album was remastered in a very muddy and flat way. So I'm hoping this version will do the job - I don't normally chase upgrades beyond a certain point but these records are magical to me.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artist...andthenorth.htm

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.

calcul financement courtier | simulation pret immobilier | taux credit de france simulation crédit immobilier sera le total du prêt calcul financement courtier | simulation pret immobilier | taux credit de france

Hidden Spam!! What will they think of next?

Edited by Aggie87

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.

calcul financement courtier | simulation pret immobilier | taux credit de france simulation crédit immobilier sera le total du prêt calcul financement courtier | simulation pret immobilier | taux credit de france

Hidden Spam!! What will they think of next?

That's pretty smart. Spam that I can't see. Sticking it in the Henry Cow thread so lots of people can see it - another stroke of genus.

Edited by 7/4

• 3 weeks later...

Guitar World/Guitar One actually mentions Fred Firth, but in a questionable context.

I wish those folks at the guitar magazines were as well rounded and musical as Fred Frith.

They've clearly led very sheltered lives if they think the examples on that list are the 'weirdest ever recorded.'

Guitar World/Guitar One actually mentions Fred Firth, but in a questionable context.

I wish those folks at the guitar magazines were as well rounded and musical as Fred Frith.

They've clearly led very sheltered lives if they think the examples on that list are the 'weirdest ever recorded.'

You betcha.

From a former insider, let's just say the guys at GW know their rock 'n' roll.

Edited by 7/4

• 1 year later...

With this now released it might be time to bumb up this thread:

HC_Box_Set.jpg

So you finally got it! Good! That run of it (plus the originals) that you noticed last week

was a great wash of wonderful sound and, like I said, something that I thought you'd really enjoy.

The booklets are real eye-openers.

®

I finally got the first box this evening, I'll be digging into it in the morning. The second one will be here next week!

• 4 months later...

I was listening to this one only yesterday:

51is2ZV1OSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Always come across as less focussed than National Health or Hatfield to me - the tunes and structures less defined, a bit more noodling. But enjoyable, nonetheless.

I always had a bit of a time getting into NH & Hatfield. I thought maybe it's Pip Pyle.

Phil Lee is a fine guitarist.

This is something I'm really noticing this time around. What ever happened to Phil Lee?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The two (original) Matching Mole albums are getting a reissue (with second discs of twiddly bits).

large2768.jpglarge2767.jpg

I'll go for these as the existing releases are a bit muddy.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/canterburyscene/

Strongly recommended to Wyattophiles or those just interested in this particular byway of improvised rock.

Matching Mole is mainly instrumental with Caravan's Dave Sinclair in the organ chair; fairly rambling but in a nice way. Two wonderful Wyatt vocals at the start - 'O Caroline' and 'Signed Curtain' were wonderful balms when suffering the inevitable disappointments of unrequited longing as a 17 year old.

Little Red Record has vocals dotted throughout though it's still mainly an instrumental record. Tremendous electric piano from Dave McRae. A bit more focussed than the first.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I've got the first 'Matching Mole' on vinyl. It's a good occasional listen - any fan of Soft Machine will appreciate it and the follow-on. The front cover of the follow-on always gives me a chuckle. Recorded at a time when 'Chairman Mao's Little Red Book' was 'de-rigueure' with future politocos, Fred The Shreds etc. :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder