Verve Originals, complete list

Big Al

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, FWIW, at least here in the States, what we now recognize as the Verve Originals are the digipaks with the color strip on the left hand side with the word ORIGINAL written in. I guess Verve was trying different things when they were issuing the guitar albums, the Simone discs, the Decca Original (thanks for the reminder, I remember there were a few of those as well).

No clue... they also introduced the "Verve Masters" here, which where a bit sturdier/glossier digipacks (one fold-out part more, like those Frech Universal Heritage/Anniversary digipacks). Those contained titles that were earlier released in the LPR series, but also a bunch of Coltrane albums (which subsequently became "Originals" as well, I think? Sort of like the Nina Simone series, Originals yet not part of the on-going reissue series...)

Also, thinking of it, I think the reissue I have of Shirley Horn's "Here's to Life" is also labelled "Original" (same digipack with the originals logo on the inside spine behind the clear tray). Weird! I guess it took them a couple of years to figure out how to continue with their reissue activities once they stopped the LPRs (and VMEs... the Verve By Request and Verve Elite Editions were stopped around 2000 already, I think).

• 3 weeks later...

You know, the confusing thing about those "jewel case originals" is that not only the few mentioned above were called like this, but a whole lot of other "regular" reissues over here were packed just the same, for instance:

Benny Carter - Further Definitions (as opposed to the rule, that one was a straight reissue of the earlier digipack twofer in the Impulse Master Sessions or whatever that series was called)

Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster

Tony Scott - Music for Zen Meditation

(those are just three I remember seing in a store today... not a full list by far, I guess there would be 20 more...)

Some other discs were repacked as "Verve/Impulse/... Masters" (including "A Love Supreme", "Getz/Gilberto").

And finally, one more "Original" that I'm not sure where to put (but I'd guess it would be part of the actual series) is "1" by the Crusaders.

And we'd agree that the Coltrane batches (also part of two boxes) were sort of like the Nina Simone Philips batch - same packaging, but not actually part of this series? (As if it would matter in the end... I'm getting nerdy, I'll sign off and have a beer now!)

• 1 month later...

Amazon has a new batch listed for January 27:

Oscar Peterson and Nelson Riddle

Bud Powell - Blues in the Closet

Gato Barbieri - Chapter One: Latin America

Count Basie - On My Way and Shoutin' Again

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Ubiquity

Nina Simone - Let It Be Me

Grover Washington Jr - Feels So Good

Louis Armstrong - Satchmo at Pasadena

Quincy Jones - You've Got It Bad, Girl

There is also a boxed set, The Impulse! Albums, Vol. 3 by John Coltrane for January 20, and a batch of Coltrane CDs (presumably the contents of the box) for March 24:

Kulu Se Mama

New Thing at Newport

Ascension

The John Coltrane Quartet Plays

Meditations

Edited by crisp

That Basie should be nice.

The Barbieri is another useless one - there was a 2CD set in Impulse's "Master Editions" or however the earlier digipack reissues were called, combining Chapters 1 & 2 and more material - great music! (OOP but still to be found)

Chapter 4 is part of this series already, but Chapter 3 (old GRP jewel-case-packed CD) is OOP and usually pretty expensive... they should bring that one out first!

The Ayers... weird but I think I already saw that one... though maybe there are several out already and that band was called Ubiquity like this upcoming album, so I may be wrong.

What's the Nina Simone?

• 1 month later...

Amazon has a new batch listed for January 27:

Oscar Peterson and Nelson Riddle

Bud Powell - Blues in the Closet

Gato Barbieri - Chapter One: Latin America

Count Basie - On My Way and Shoutin' Again

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Ubiquity

Nina Simone - Let It Be Me

Grover Washington Jr - Feels So Good

Louis Armstrong - Satchmo at Pasadena

Quincy Jones - You've Got It Bad, Girl

These have been added to the first page. Thanks, crisp!

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a PDF catalogue - comes in very hand!

Universal Originals

There are some Verve By Requests listed (Desmond, Dearie, Mendes a.o.), not sure that's just a mistake or those have come out in new Originals reissues again, or if they were just incorporated into the new series and will be kept in print in the original VBR packaging (VBRs did contain some bonus tracks, though!)

Same here! And these Originals contain a) too many easy listening albums, and b) too many albums reissued earlier by Verve/Universal/GRP in much better editions with additional tracks. Not a great series, all in all, but still at least they haven't stopped completely yet...

I believe that there was also a jewel-case "Decca Original" by Ella Fitzgerald, "Lullabies of Birdland."

yes, i have that and it's very recommendable. lots of early scatting as in the birth of... i think it's from the fourties though i'd have to look now to be sure.

There are two such Ella Deccas in jewel cases, both are in the list (depicted as digipacks it seems, but that's not really an indicator of how these discs actually look, it was mentioned before that some of these "Originals" were still LPRs in the US and some mini-LPs in the US were digipacks over here etc).

The Getz is mighty fine! I recently got hold of the old version of it, indeed fine playing by all involved!