Bill Carrothers

Hot Ptah

41PDK5D9DHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I bought this after reading many great reviews. A very unique "suite" covering a period between 2 young lovers whose lives are split up because of WWI. It is a little challenging at first but is very moving - a great use of poetry, traditional songs, voice/dialogue and instruments.

He's also got a great sense of humour! From his MySpace entry:

Sounds Like

Chicken. No wait...tastes like chicken. Smells like victory. Sounds like wind in tall grass or rat's feet over broken glass in my dry cellar. At least that's what T.S. Eliot said.

He also was a guest on the AAJ site series "Catching up with", so lots here re bio and his funny mind:

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=7078

I bought this after reading many great reviews. A very unique "suite" covering a period between 2 young lovers whose lives are split up because of WWI. It is a little challenging at first but is very moving - a great use of poetry, traditional songs, voice/dialogue and instruments.

In addition to Armistice 1918, he has a CD called Ghost Ships on Sketch (and maybe yet another -- I don't recall). I like Ghost Ships -- kind of moody. I was just looking at it the other day and will try to spin tonight.

The only Bill Carrothers I have in my collection is The Language of Crows - a series of duets with vocalist Wendy Lewis. It's probably not typical of his recorded work - though after reading the series of posts on AAJ, it seems that there may not be a "typical" Bill Carrothers recording - consisting of original compositions by Wendy Lewis interspersed with works such as "Jesus Loves Me", "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", "Ballad of Lizzie Borden", and "Like a Sick Eagle" - a work by Keats set to music by Charles Ives. I've had this recording for 7-8 years, and have enjoyed it over that period.

This thread is is good reminder to me to check out more Bill Carrothers.

Marvellous disc.

I always enjoyed his posts at AAJ - an interesting and very humble chap.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Count me as another Carrothers fan. I saw him play his duo with Bill Stewart in support of their album, it was great. He moved to New York from his home state of Minnesota, decided he hated the rat race and missed snowmobiling through the woods in winter, so he moved back, and for years had no piano--he would go to his mother's house to practice.

• 2 years later...

Today I have been listening to Carrothers' Joy Spring on Pirouet. It is a trio recording with Drew Gress and Billy Stewart playing tunes composed and played by Clifford Brown. Normally I shy away from these kind of recordings, but Brown's music has not been done to death like other artists. Very well played and recommended.

Today I have been listening to Carrothers' Joy Spring on Pirouet. It is a trio recording with Drew Gress and Billy Stewart playing tunes composed and played by Clifford Brown. Normally I shy away from these kind of recordings, but Brown's music has not been done to death like other artists. Very well played and recommended.

another :tup for Joy Spring