Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShowsOn

Your Columbia / RCA reissue requests?

39 posts in this topic

OH YEAH! And this one too:

That one was recently released on CD in Japan.

OH YEAH! And this one too:

That one was recently released on CD in Japan.

REALLY NOW! :excited: Thanks for the heads up!

Paul Horn's early recordings on Columbia.

Since the first two of those are on a Collectables double-CD , I presume you're not happy with the sound of that set . I have it , and while no CD can match Columbia vinyl of that era , the sound is decent especially in comparison to some of the earlier Collectables CDs . The third and final Columbia , Impressions Of Cleopatra is one I recently recommended in the flute thread . It is alas , only available on vinyl and would be most welcome on CD .

A few cuts from the Cleopatra album were on an anthology of his Columbia material on the "Black Son" label, whatever that is. They also reissued Horn's "live" double LP that was on Island - the album with Freedom Jazz Dance. These are probably long gone.

I'd like to see all the Arthur Blythe and James Blood Ulmer stuff.

Huge :tup to both!

Paul Horn's early recordings on Columbia.

Since the first two of those are on a Collectables double-CD , I presume you're not happy with the sound of that set . I have it , and while no CD can match Columbia vinyl of that era , the sound is decent especially in comparison to some of the earlier Collectables CDs . The third and final Columbia , Impressions Of Cleopatra is one I recently recommended in the flute thread . It is alas , only available on vinyl and would be most welcome on CD .

I didn't know about the Collectibles reissue, but generally speaking, I don't buy that shoddy label.

And, if they could reissue:

Monk's "Big Band and Quartet"

I think these discs sound great, I don't think they need to be redone. They were done by Vic Anesini who is a great mastering engineer.

I agree with you however that the packaging looks silly.

I see so many suggestions in this thread that haven't been added to the Legacy page!

Add them! It only 'costs' one vote.

Add them! It only 'costs' one vote.

My Gary Burton suggestion cost me three votes! :D

Yeah, the Tokyo set should be included!

A complete set of the Shorty Rogers Victors would be nice.

Greg Mo

Shorty Rogers RCAs would be a good Mosaic project.

Lots of love for Miles in the voting so far.

Edited by montg

Couldn't resist making an Armstrong suggestion as there's still lots of live material from the mid-50s that is stuck in Sony's vaults. There's complete concerts/sessions from the "Ambassador Satch" album, Lewisohn Stadium 1956 (where Pops and Leonard Bernstein did "St. Louis Blues") and the 1958 Newport set with the Teagarden/Bobby Hackett reunion, as shown in "Jazz On a Summer's Day." Sony's released two of the 1958 tracks on unrelated compilations, both in gorgeous stereo sound. As far as the "Ambassador Satch" material I know it exists because (shhhhh) I have it in varying sound quality. Miles coughs and Sony gives him a box set but great live Pops continues to rot away. Vote for Pops! (Six big ones as I write this.)

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

A complete set of the Shorty Rogers Victors would be nice.

Greg Mo

Shorty Rogers RCAs would be a good Mosaic project.

Lots of love for Miles in the voting so far.

I don't own any Shorty dates so I would be open to hearing any recs!

Come to think of it, a nice Bud Powell or JJ set would be nice too (not sure how may dates JJ Johnson cut for RCA actually :mellow: ).