Jimmy Forrest

Shawn

Isn't music history full of such "borrowings" throughout the entire history of jazz, blues, country music, etc.? ;) ;)

If it is a case of borrowing (or more) at all in the sense that "stealing" is persecuted in court today, even if it boils down to 2-second snippets only (as seen in recent cases in the pop music field).

Mainstream Jazz - RCA

This one has one lengthy tune by Andy Gibson, and three tunes by a sextet with Jimmy Forrest.

MG

MG, this information should be what you wanted.

Mainstream Jazz - RCA 74321 21832 2

My copy is a CD made in Germany

Track #1. Blueprint

Andy Gibson and His Orchestra

Includes musicians such as: Paul Gonsalves, Hilton Jefferson, Prince Robinson, George Dorsey, Vic Dickenson, Dickie Wells, Jimmy Nottingham, Emmett Berry, Jimmy Jones, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Jimmie Crawford

N.Y.C. December 1, 1959

The Mainstream Sextet

Tracks 2, 3 & 4 I Got Nothing But You, Bedroom Eyes, Give The Lady What She Wants Most

Jimmy Forrest, Vic Dickenson, Harold "Shorty" Baker, Jimmy Greene (p), Francesco Skeets(b), Oliver Jackson

N.Y.C. October 14, 1959

Mainstream Jazz - RCA

This one has one lengthy tune by Andy Gibson, and three tunes by a sextet with Jimmy Forrest.

MG

Track #1. Blueprint

Includes musicians such as: Paul Gonsalves, Hilton Jefferson, Prince Robinson, George Dorsey, Vic Dickenson, Dickie Wells, Jimmy Nottingham, Emmett Berry, Jimmy Jones, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Jimmie Crawford

N.Y.C. December 1, 1959

The Mainstream Sextet

Tracks 2, 3 & 4 I Got Nothing But You, Bedroom Eyes, Give The Lady What She Wants Most

Jimmy Forrest, Vic Dickenson, Harold "Shorty" Baker, Jimmy Greene (p), Francesco Skeets(b), Oliver Jackson

N.Y.C. October 14, 1959

Thanks Peter. When I'm doing a search eg on Amazon, should I look for Andy Gibson?

MG

I remember that Forrest's claim of composer credit for "Night Train" has been discussed in a negative fashion in several printed articles. I remember an interview with him in one of the early years of Jazz Times, when it was still printed on newsprint--it might have been during the time when it was still called Radio Free Jazz. The interviewer asked Forrest if he thought that Duke Ellington had stolen "Night Train" from him. Forrest said that he thought that Duke had stolen the song. The interviewer was clearly surprised, and commented that Duke had composed over 4,000 songs, so why would he steal one more? Forrest continued to say that he thought that Duke had stolen the song from him.

I just finished Reminiscing in Tempo, an oral biography of Duke Ellington (highly recommended if you haven't read it) and it clearly states that a lawsuit resulted in a financial settlement over Forrest's use of the section of Duke's composition.

So that questions whether Ellington "wasn't unhappy" about the situation (although maybe at the time Mills was getting co-composer credits and it was at his insistence? The book isn't clear).

And it also suggests that Jimmy had a really defective memory at the time of the interview, since he agreed to settle the suit way back when.

Track #1. Blueprint

N.Y.C. December 1, 1959

Something I thought was cool with this session was that it combined Ellington's 20s tenorist Prince Robinson with his 50s-70s tenorist Paul Gonsalves! Talk about time warp!

I just finished Reminiscing in Tempo, an oral biography of Duke Ellington (highly recommended if you haven't read it) and it clearly states that a lawsuit resulted in a financial settlement over Forrest's use of the section of Duke's composition.

So that questions whether Ellington "wasn't unhappy" about the situation (although maybe at the time Mills was getting co-composer credits and it was at his insistence? The book isn't clear).

And it also suggests that Jimmy had a really defective memory at the time of the interview, since he agreed to settle the suit way back when.

Sorry. My bad! I meant to write that Duke "was never happy". I'm pretty sure that Happy-Go-Lucky pre-dates Night Train.

Mainstream Jazz - RCA

MG

Track #1. Blueprint

N.Y.C. December 1, 1959

The Mainstream Sextet

N.Y.C. October 14, 1959

Thanks Peter. When I'm doing a search eg on Amazon, should I look for Andy Gibson?

MG

MG,

Not sure what will work best. I would suggest trying Andy Gibson first. If that does not work you might try

The Mainstream Jazz Sextet, or just Mainstream Jazz.

Peter

I thought so too but I'm away from my books and can't confirm it. I think he was in the band but not sure he ever recorded with it.

Just checked the sleeve notes of "Night train" (Delmark reissue of his United material). Bob Koester, who I think must be reliable here, says, "he can also be heard as a sideman on numerous recordings by Harry Edison, Basie and Ellington."

MG

could you maybe upload your great don patterson discography again? it was apparently lost in the updates...

btw, i might even have an addition for you; the version i last saw didn't have this prestige christmas compilation which has iirc two tracks from patterson's christmas album

http://www.amazon.de/Christmas-Collection-...4320&sr=8-2

Thanks for the link! I had read about that sampler but couldn't check it out so far.

I tried to upload it but it didn't work ... send me a pm wirth your e-mail, and I will send it to you. subscription for updates included. But as soon as I find the time to type all the data into the BRIAN database, it will be put online.

Edited by mikeweil